Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is there a traffic light leading onto Rochestown Ave from Bakers Corner?

• 14-02-2006 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

This has always bugged me. If you come out of bakers corner pub and are going onto rochestown avenue there is a filter light pointing left just after paddy powers. Around the corner is the garda station, the only reasonable reason I have heard is that it allows the gardai to get out in an emergency which doesnt sound right. Is there any reason for it. I dont think it is for pedestrians either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i have sometimes wondered that myself - there is no conflicting traffic movement that I can see and no pedestrian lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If you want to turn right, pottery road I think, you have to move across traffic so they obviously decided they needed to put a light there to facilitate this. If there was no filter light to continue to rochestown ave then driver would have to wait for the green for pottery road or else they would be going through a red light.

That's what I think anyway.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MrPudding wrote:
    If there was no filter light to continue to rochestown ave then driver would have to wait for the green for pottery road or else they would be going through a red light.
    That would make sense BUT the filter light does turn red. I thought it was just a permanent green one when I saw it first just to differentiate between the 2 turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not so sure then. I will try to nip over this week some time and check it out.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

I think it maybe to do with the Garda station, when the Garda are pulling out from the station and look to the right they see a red light and know nobody will be coming round the blind corner and it is safe to pull out.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement