Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hangouts or Default SMS client

• 04-04-2014 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Do you use Google hangouts as your default text messaging client or do you use the default app that comes pre-installed. One downside with hangouts is when sending texts to iphone users who have also have the hangounts app installed then they may not notice they've got a text message because the text is sent to Hangouts as opposed to their default iphone app.

Hangouts or Default Text Msg App 38 votes

Hangouts
    0% 0 votes
    Default SMS App
    100% 38 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

What about those of us that use neither? I use Textra personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Does hangouts require a data connection to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭G1032

I've gone back to Chomp SMS for my texts.

Hangouts is just too laggy for me for sms. I used it for weeks and weeks and prefer that my hangouts and sms are in the one app but it is just too laggy

In short I use both Hangouts and Chomp SMS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I use hangouts, no problems with it. Hangouts requires data if you are not sending an sms. The only thing I find annoying is that SMS and Hangout messages from the same person are not in the one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

jester77 wrote: »
    I use hangouts, no problems with it. Hangouts requires data if you are not sending an sms. The only thing I find annoying is that SMS and Hangout messages from the same person are not in the one thread.

Same here. If they were combined in one thread Hangouts would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I use Handcent SMS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

jgbyr wrote: »
    I use Handcent SMS.

Me too, I've never had an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

jester77 wrote: »

They've promised it, it's perfect except for this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Me too, I've never had an issue with it.

me three.

Might use hangouts the odd time for send a photo or a video or something, but Handcent is where it's at for me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Hello SMS is a great alternative to default. Really nice UI.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hellotext.hello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I use both separately but only because I use CyanogenMod so I can reply / read / delete my texts from the notification bar but not with Hangouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I use 8sms which I think is just a rebuild of the default SMS app, but am not 100% happy with it. I may have to give some of the suggestions here a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Same here. If they were combined in one thread Hangouts would be perfect.

And if they backed up the smses to your Gmail. That's an obvious ommission. Sms backup was one of the first and most useful apps I ever got back a number of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

jgbyr wrote: »
    I use Handcent SMS.
    Same, I like the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Use Hangouts myself. As mentioned above the only things that annoy me are the hangouts and SMS threads separate for the same person and only the hangout messages show up on my tablet while the hangouts and sms messages show on my phone. Would like the sms messages to be backed up and synced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

Hello SMS is a great alternative to default. Really nice UI.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hellotext.hello

Until it spams everyone In your address book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

swampy353 wrote: »
    Until it spams everyone In your address book

That's never happened to me. There is an option in settings to remove the nags to invite friends. Makes the app 10x better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Hangouts is OK but Textra is definitely the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Go SMS for me,love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

add me to the go sms pile. love it, the pro version is brilliant. schedule texts and private box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I was using Hangouts but just tried hello and going to keep that for a bit. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I use Hangouts, it's a great little app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I use Chomp as I like the repeat notification options and the pop up box when a message arrives.
    Tried Hangouts but the killer for me was the lack of thread integration

I started using Disa.IM and really like that too. It's in Alpha testing at the moment and it can integrate text/mms and WhatsApp and there is a Facebook message plugin on the way. It's great and if they could integrate Hangouts and some other message services and get a Web interface I would love it
    Check out their profile on Google+.

The latest version of Hangouts merges sms and chat conversations
    Google is crossing off a major complaint about Hangouts this week: the messaging app will finally merge your SMS and Hangouts conversations. Users can pick between Hangouts and SMS when sending a given message, but that's it. There's no option to use Hangouts with SMS as a fallback option, which is the approach Apple takes with iMessage.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/21/5637122/google-hangouts-adding-merged-conversation-view

Get the apk here
    http://androidspin.com/2014/04/21/download-google-hangouts-2-1-way-sms-improvements-widget/

The latest version of Hangouts merges sms...

still doesn't backup to Gmail :rolleyes:

Idleater wrote: »
    still doesn't backup to Gmail :rolleyes:

All they've done is merge sms and hangouts chat threads which was a big annoyance.

Hangouts already falls back to Gmail and conversations save to your Google history.

All they've done is merge sms and hangouts chat threads which was a big annoyance.

Hangouts already falls back to Gmail and conversations save to your Google history.

I know that, the sms backup is the only obvious ommission now.

Maybe not an omission, maybe Google don't want to make it an iMessage clone

Maybe not an omission, maybe Google don't want to make it an iMessage clone

Nah, they backup every wifi password to log in detail. They even now launched a remote desktop to chrome. They added sms and integrated it with chat. Just a final step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

According to an Android Police app teardown the app contains code reference's to SMS backup or export along with Google Voice references so both should come to the Hangouts app in the future.

Advertisement