Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way from Dartry to Cabinteely

Options
  • 12-09-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys,

I've just started a new job in Cabinteely.
    I live in Dartry, right beside the Miltown Luas stop.

I don't have a car.

Have you any suggestions on how I can get there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

11km cycle: 30 mins, or 2km walk to Donnybrook and 145 or Luas to Carrickmines and 2km walk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

First question - where in Cabinteely?

It's a big place!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If it's BOI a walk to Donnybrook and a 145 to Cabinteely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The 75 from Dundrum will get you most of the way there then change onto a 45, 145 or an 84 as needs be. If you are lucky you won't need a transfer but that depends on where the job in Cabinteely is based. Another option is a 17 from Windy Arbour and change onto another bus but it could be messy and time consuming if the connections don't work for you.

You may be quicker to get the Luas to Carrickmines or Laughanstown but be prepared for a bit of a walk; I'd suggest you pop up at the weekend and suss out a walking route for either station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ROXcursed

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, it's BOI. Good guess!

My preference would be the Luas.
    Reliability etc.

As it is I walk almost 3km to work so I'm used to a decent walk.

• Advertisement

ROXcursed wrote: »

My preference would be the Luas.
    Reliability etc.

As it is I walk almost 3km to work so I'm used to a decent walk.

http://goo.gl/maps/lKfXB
    Luas and walk through the park then :)

I would definitely suggest the 145 from Donnybrook - it operates every 10 minutes. Use the app.

The option given in post #7 would only work in daylight.

The other option is LUAS to Carrickmines and 63 from there to Cornelscourt and walk from there - however you would need to plan it very carefully as the 63 only operates every 30 minutes.

This is a trip where the real time passenger information apps come into their own. Plan it carefully and it can work.

Frankly I would go with the 145 - you get a walk and a direct bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ROXcursed

Thanks a million. Great information here.
    I'll have a proper look into it now.
    Just didn't know where to start.

Thanks again.

Let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

ROXcursed wrote: »

Not a lot of other employers in Cabinteely

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »

The option given in post #7 would only work in daylight.
    yet you can walk to Donnybrook in the dark?
    The park may be closed in the dark but there are other routes around the edge that are only marginally longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

My advice, as a regular commuter in the area until recently, is that the LUAS is fine in the mornings, but I would stay away from it for the return journey.

From mid afternoon onwards thuggish gangs of kids rampage through the trams from Ballyogan Wood to Glencairn, abusing passengers.

C635

yet you can walk to Donnybrook in the dark?
    The park may be closed in the dark but there are other routes around the edge that are only marginally longer.

Well, given we are coming into Autumn and it's starting to get dark earlier(and I realise that being in NZ you may be out of sync with that), I would have thought it more sensible to show someone a walking route that he/she could use safely at night, given that they don't know the area. Showing a walk that goes through a pitch black park at night is hardly an option. This is where a little bit of common sense -v- blindly following what google maps says tends to be helpful.

Safe walks at night are either along Brennanstown Road, or down Cornelscourt Hill Road, and through the Park estate, both of which do involve a significant hill as well.

The route from Nine Arches to Donnybrook is a straight walk along wide roads (Milltown Road and Eglinton Road) that should take no more than 20 minutes (from experience) and is shorter and far less hilly than any that would be involved from Carrickmines. In the mornings you could also walk along the Dodder from Milltown and then via Beaver Row to Donnybrook Church.

To me that's an easier option, given that the 145 is as regular as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On a consistent basis, the quickest by public transport would be Luas to Charlemont and the 145 to Cabinteely.

Occasionally, Luas to Carrickmines and the 63 to Cabinteely or Luas to Cherrywood and 84 to Cabinteely, but neither the 63 not 84 are very frequent, so RTPI will be important.

Victor wrote: »
    On a consistent basis, the quickest by public transport would be Luas to Charlemont and the 145 to Cabinteely.

Occasionally, Luas to Carrickmines and the 63 to Cabinteely or Luas to Cherrywood and 84 to Cabinteely, but neither the 63 not 84 are very frequent, so RTPI will be important.

I hardly think that would be faster than walking from the Nine Arches to Donnybrook, as the time taken from Milltown to Charlemont to Leeson Street and back to Donnybrook would be as long if not longer.

Frankly that is a daft route - why would you double back on yourself rather than walk directly to Donnybrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Conway635 wrote: »
    My advice, as a regular commuter in the area until recently, is that the LUAS is fine in the mornings, but I would stay away from it for the return journey.

From mid afternoon onwards thuggish gangs of kids rampage through the trams from Ballyogan Wood to Glencairn, abusing passengers.

C635

Is this a daily occurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Is this a daily occurrence?

It certainly was up to three months ago, when I ceased using the service in the afternoons after it escalated to a point beyond simple verbal abuse.

C635

Advertisement