Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Switching from Sky+ to Freeview

• 17-04-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Would love some advice on this. I have been doing quite a bit of research online but I am still confused.

I have Sky+ installed at home but find it very expensive. I want to switch to freeview and Saorview. Could anyone tell me, if i buy two HD, recordable freeview\saorview boxes, can i simply replace my Sky+ boxes with them or do i need an expert installer?

I am just looking for the basic channels but in high def and with pause rewind etc.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

STNMike wrote: »
    I have Sky+ installed at home but find it very expensive. I want to switch to freeview and Saorview. Could anyone tell me, if i buy two HD, recordable freeview\saorview boxes, can i simply replace my Sky+ boxes with them or do i need an expert installer?

I am just looking for the basic channels but in high def and with pause rewind etc.

When you say Freeview are you referring to the UK terrestrial service using an aerial pointing at a transmitter in NI or Freesat using a satellite dish? Posters regularly confuse the two names.

Freesat+ can use your existing Sky dish, basically plug and play, no Irish channels on Freesat. http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/ (rh column)

For Saorview you'll require a Saorview PVR, only one on the market at the moment - Walker WP6500TTR Saorview+ PVR . This requires an aerial pointing at your nearest Saorview transmitter.
    http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 STNMike

Sorry you are right, it is Freesat+ I want, not Freeview. Thanks for the reply.

Is there a plug and play box that can do both Saorview and Freesat+? I have seen a couple on e-bay that look quite smart. Humax HDR 1000s? I really do not want the hassle of an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sorry you are right, it is Freesat+ I want, not Freeview. Thanks for the reply.

Is there a plug and play box that can do both Saorview and Freesat+? I have seen a couple on e-bay that look quite smart. Humax HDR 1000s? I really do not want the hassle of an aerial.

You can get the one box, but it will need to be connected to both an aerial and a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 STNMike

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Looks like a couple of Freesat boxes, an aerial installed and i will have both Saorview and Freesat+.

Cheers.

Looks like a couple of Freesat boxes, an aerial installed and i will have both Saorview and Freesat+.

A Freesat+ box won't receive/record the Saorview channels, you'll require the Saorview PVR for this.

There are combi Saorview/FTA satellite (free-to-air) receivers out there but won't give you 7 day guide for the sat channels, digital text/red button on the sat channels, no built-in HDD, no series link, no auto ordering/updating of sat channels etc. etc.

For the full range of services/options of both services 2 separate receivers will be required Freesat+/Saorview+.

There is no combi approved Saorview+/Freesat+ receiver on the market and unlikely to ever be.

List of Saorview approved combi receivers here, the satellite part of these combis are basic FTA satellite receivers, not Freesat, so no sat digital text, 7 day guide, external HDD required, no series link etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭eggy81

The Cush wrote: »
    A Freesat+ box won't receive/record the Saorview channels, you'll require the Saorview PVR for this.

There are combi Saorview/FTA satellite (free-to-air) receivers out there but won't give you 7 day guide for the sat channels, digital text/red button on the sat channels, no built-in HDD, no series link, no auto ordering/updating of sat channels etc. etc.

For the full range of services/options of both services 2 separate receivers will be required Freesat+/Saorview+.

There is no combi approved Saorview+/Freesat+ receiver on the market and unlikely to ever be.

List of Saorview approved combi receivers here, the satellite part of these combis are basic FTA satellite receivers, not Freesat, so no sat digital text, 7 day guide, external HDD required, no series link etc.

Is there a box on the horizon that will allow all this functionality in Ireland?

eggy81 wrote: »
    Is there a box on the horizon that will allow all this functionality in Ireland?

No, being discussed here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056928889

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanyleary

You should have the Sat feed at the back of your sky box (screw type fitting) and a aerial feed ( old style push in connector) if so a combo box is plug, scan and play. The ariva 250 is a good box at about 110 Euro. Ariva 150 little cheaper but imo the 250 worth the extra. Not sure the electronic program guide on it though. The amiko alien 2 triple tunner can be set up with the program guide and portable hard drive for recording but you do need 2 sat feeds which you should have already.

Advertisement