Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Gobberment isn't showing up to Work, + Public vs Private Sick Days

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Government officials, minisiters, td's / politicians avergaing 12 sick days pa
    Public Sector, HSE, public transport etc averaging 7 sick days pa
    Private Sector workers ( holding the country up ) - 3 sick days pa

According to IBEC and based on their fairly vague methodology the average number of sick days taken by private sector employees per annum is not 3 but actually 5.98. Obviously the public sector who are all PAYE workers are far easier to quantify accurately but even this is a far more realistic total for the private sector.

Also the public sector figures are skewed by the Disability Act 2005 which obliges all Government agencies to employ at least 3% staff with disabilities. This is something the private sector doesn't have to adhere to. As this Act requires people with"a substantial restriction in the capacity to hold a job" be employed this has a huge affect on sick leave figures.

It never ceases to amaze me that this private sector versus public sector bollóx is still is trotted out when the Government needs some misdirection for one of their magic tricks.
    Stiffler2 wrote: »
    See how public sector "sick days" F**KED up my bike test here

There's just under 300000 public sector workers. Even with their old-fashioned work procedures I doubt they all could have been involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm on the public sector and I need a doc cert after ONE day sick, I don't see why other departments are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm on the public sector and I need a doc cert after ONE day sick, I don't see why other departments are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

CJC999 wrote: »
    CJC999 wrote: »

Should get that alzheimers looked at next time

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

I don't know what the Irish obsession with doctors certs are regarding sick leave is, all sick leave is treated the same, certified or uncertified. When it comes to disciplinery action its absent days regardless of certifications. It would be best if the practice of requiring certifications after three days was abandoned. Imo it fuels extra days taken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement