Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science, meet Spirituality...

• 05-12-2011 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

...Spirituality, meet science. Why don't you two get to know each other, I think you'll find you've got a lot in common.

Fascinating video posted in the A&A forum, but it belongs in here as much as anywhere.

It is, unknowingly [I think], a neurological explanation of the Ego and, in not so many words, an outline of the benefits of meditation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

It's a great video. It really hit home when I first saw it. I'm very interested in how concepts reduce things down to mere explanation. Our reason (concepts, ideas), that which gives meaning, appears to be ultimately what hides meaning from us. Or something like that :p

These two are along the sames lines, but distinctly different and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

18AD wrote: »
    It's a great video. It really hit home when I first saw it. I'm very interested in how concepts reduce things down to mere explanation. Our reason (concepts, ideas), that which gives meaning, appears to be ultimately what hides meaning from us. Or something like that :p

These two are along the sames lines, but distinctly different and interesting.

great vids - cheers for posting them!

Just on the TED video, she doesn't mention how to go about "stepping into the right hemisphere of your brain" - meditation is obviously one such way, as well as helping others, but she doesn't mention any practical ways of doing it. I'm just wondering if she would be an advocate of meditation, or is she simply referring to things like playing an instrument, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

That's a good question. I think she's saying that the interconnected, holistic perception is always running but that our rational mind has come to overpower it in some way.

Personally, I think this has a lot to do with culture nowadays, since the enlightenment probably, or even before that. People have distunguished themselves from the rest of nature because of their rationality. the solution to everything is further analysis. Emotion has been left fall as irrational.

This is different elsewhere. Clearly pagan, buddhism and probably many other religions were interested in the interconnection of nature and ourselves. It may be simply a shift in mentality that's needed.

I don't think meditation leads you towards this without being aware of these other perspectives. It'd be like someone practicing zen meditation at football match. The situation has a lot to do with the results.

Playing an instrument I would regard as equally beneficial as meditation. There are many other things that I guess would encourage the other hemisphere. Art, music, dance, meditation, yoga, martial arts, exercise, helping others. The list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Omentum

Thanks for the videos. I think that the truth lies between the Science and religion. In order for understanding to develop, you must have these opposites debate it and compete. Great understanding is born out of disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks roosh.

Feeling very balanced inside lately, and the RSA and Neutrons videos went down very well.

I'm quite fed up with the extreme sidesthat create verbal and mental war between each other.

I'm hoping 2012 will be a shift in consciousness and beliefs as you say,

hopefully it will become more balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

roosh wrote: »

It is, unknowingly [I think], a neurological explanation of the Ego and, in not so many words, an outline of the benefits of meditation.

Empty the Europe of inner torch,
    Her spirit is struck with deadly blight

Advertisement