Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tricky 2nd date

• 21-09-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

I had a first date with a girl i met recently and it went rather well. We went to a stand up comedy show in town (dublin) and out for drinks after. We both, quite evidently, had a lot of fun and now im having a bit of trouble trying to think of something as fun/not boring to do next time?!

Any suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

bowling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

A trip to the zoo is a really nice way to spend a day,no pressure on either party plus you get to have a laugh and a yap.Only potential stumbling block is the arsey weather we've had of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

For my second date I met the guy in the Phoenix Park on a Saturday afternoon. We went for a nice walk and stopped for a coffee and a chat. Then we had a long walk back to his car...............lets just say it went really well and now 3 months later we're still together and getting on better and better all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

the zoo is one i tend to go for, but there was mention of a horror trip here recently for her, so thats out the window!

bowling could be fun, but it kinda seems like a teen-date??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

bricky06 wrote: »
    the zoo is one i tend to go for, but there was mention of a horror trip here recently for her, so thats out the window!

bowling could be fun, but it kinda seems like a teen-date??

Personally I'd hate bowling and would always have hated it. Different strokes for different folks though. If the weather is nice what about a walk along the pier in Dun Laoghaire and dinner in Milano afterward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I had a first date with a girl i met recently and it went rather well. We went to a stand up comedy show in town (dublin) and out for drinks after. We both, quite evidently, had a lot of fun and now im having a bit of trouble trying to think of something as fun/not boring to do next time?!

Any suggestions?

Sooooooo many options:

- movies
    - dinner
    - go to a game (at this time of year, it would have to be rugby, but you would have to check that she likes rugby first)
    - afternoon walk on the beach, followed by drinks

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You've 'Done' the fun date and now you need to show her a different aspect of your personality. Take her to a pre-theather dinner in The Troc. Great food, lovely place. It's a romantic setting without being overtly romantic so no pressure on either of ye, just a couple of friends enjoying dinner.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

With my ex we went to a pub quiz on our second date, got paired up with random strangers but it was a great laugh, nice comfortable surroundings to just enjoy each others company in without any pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

With my ex we went to a pub quiz on our second date, got paired up with random strangers but it was a great laugh, nice comfortable surroundings to just enjoy each others company in without any pressure.

How could you enjoy each others company if you were paired with someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

nothing really that tricky about it your building thinsg up man she wants to see you again....
    Thats a good thing...

concintrate on having fun... like what are her interests.... i knwo this sounds mad but you could always go for a wonder around the nuatral history museam and then go for dinner or something...

just make it relaxed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

How about Yamamori on the Quay's? It's not too expensive, nice atmosphere but not overly romantic and something different...

Try trip advisor for Dublin, you might be surprised what you find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Pool! Not swimming, the one with the balls :P Great fun, lots of teasing, and you can have a few drinks as well :)

is offering ladies choice a couple of days in advance a good idea or does it just sound lazy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

is offering ladies choice a couple of days in advance a good idea or does it just sound lazy?

Ask her, maybe she has suggestions

Offer it, but have a backup plan in case she says she'd rather you decide. Decisiveness is super cool and attractive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Cut to the chase next date & ask her if she'd like to rent a movie & watch it at yours !!!
    If she says fcuk it why not...

Then get a nice bottle of wine or 2...
    Make excuses about watching movie in living room...
    Get her up to the bedroom...

Pour her a glass of Red Wine...
    Hop onto the bed stick on the movie...
    Turn the lights low...

Light up a nice fragrance candle... (that romantic imo)

& enjoy the movie... kiss & a cuddle anything after that is a bonus

If she thinks thats a bit much too soon she's frigid immature & she's probably not worth the hassle...

Personally when was single & on the dating scene. Thats how we did it.. Its comfortable for both involved No arkward silences & its the sweetest ice breaker,
    Im sure most mature ladies out there will agree with me... Im NOT saying have sex aswel but just go with the flow feel comfortabe with 1 another...

Best of luck mate let us know how yez get on

SIX PACK wrote: »
    If she thinks thats a bit much too soon she's frigid immature & she's probably not worth the hassle...
    Im sure most mature ladies out there will agree with me...

:rolleyes: Worms, can, open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

JayEnnis wrote: »
    How could you enjoy each others company if you were paired with someone else?

Because you're both there together, having the larfs? :confused:

I usually leave it to the guy to come up with ideas, theres only so much to do that I can ever think of. Cinema, comedy, dvd, dinner, a play...then if he's not into some of them. Gah. Let the man decide and just agree with him. It's his job to impress me after all! :pac:

Six packs idea isn't too bad either, more 3rd or 4th date material though...

OldGoat wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Worms, can, open.

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

Sorry Six Pack, but being brought to a relative stranger's house and "snuggling up to him" when he insists we can't watch the DVD in his living room and we have to go upstairs wouldn't be high on my list of fun dates. It's pushy and a bit creepy and gives no consideration to the girl's personal safety.

And that's coming from ME. I'm by no means frigid, at all. But there are ways and means of doing these things, and the above is certainly not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Don't put too much pressure on yourself OP, it doesn't have to be a majorly planned event every time you go on a date. Sometimes the overly planned stuff just adds to pressure, nerves etc and distracts from the fun of chatting to someone. And some people hate bowling, zoos etc.

It depends what time of day you are doing this at. For a daytime date, I'd go for a nice walk somewhere - Dun laoghaire, Howth etc. Go for coffee, drop in to a nice pub for a drink later, sit somewhere nice and look at the sea (weather permitting), get some food. It's relaxed and casual and you have all the time in the world for talking.

I do also like the pub quiz idea if it's an evening thing. Great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Don't go to the cinema whatever you do OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dazzacon

Take her to shelbourne park dog track, great date. It starts at about eight, you can have a few drinks, even a bite, and there are races every 15 minutes. Everyone loves a bit if a gamble and it can be fun teaching her how to read the form and it's great craig when one of you wins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

shellyboo wrote: »
    THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

Sorry Six Pack, but being brought to a relative stranger's house and "snuggling up to him" when he insists we can't watch the DVD in his living room and we have to go upstairs wouldn't be high on my list of fun dates. It's pushy and a bit creepy and gives no consideration to the girl's personal safety.

And that's coming from ME. I'm by no means frigid, at all. But there are ways and means of doing these things, and the above is certainly not one of them.

Wel if you didnt feel safe with the person you wouldn't be going on the 2nd date anyway (Were not all Larry Murphys)
    Iv a couple of female friends & if their dating a guy &want to meet up at hers or his to watch a movie theirs no problem,
    a lot of 20+ yr olds get bored fast & move to the Next if your not a smooth operator & know what you want...

Ok back in the old days ie. 70's 80's 90's their was no such thing as hanky panky until the Ring was on the finger- if their was it was all hush hush
    But were not such a Mass going prominent innocent Catholic brain washed Country (bless me father for i have sinned) anymore (thank god)

& whats wrong with watching a movie in the bedroom especially if your living with other people, Which most people do,
    Besides ye can still go to the Cinema or Shopping spree (they love that)

i used to love pampering the ladies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Wel if you didnt feel safe with the person you wouldn't be going on the 2nd date anyway (Were not all Larry Murphys)
    Besides ye can still go to the Cinema or Shopping spree (they love that)
    Seriously? Honestly can't believe you can swing from on the one hand dispelling a stereotype (which wasn't voiced by anyone, by the way) to applying another one so liberally. Oh and it is a bit creepy to come up with some excuse to go straight to the bedroom, and whatever you're intentions actually are it does suggestion a certain expectation.

OP, I'd say take things as they come, and treat women as individuals, accepting that no one method works for all (which would be why we search for a certain person, not any old person with a certain method of wooing us) and just try to get to know one another.

some great suggestions guys, cheers!

However, I will not be trying the "living room tv is broken so we better go up to bed" routine :p

thats a bit cheesy/horny for my style!

Ok back in the old days ie. 70's 80's 90's their was no such thing as hanky panky until the Ring was on the finger- if their was it was all hush hush

I have delightful memories of the 70's, 80's, 90's as being a bit of a hedonistic shagfest. Perhaps it was something to do with my non-Neanderthal approach to dating. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dazzacon wrote: »
    Take her to shelbourne park dog track, great date. It starts at about eight, you can have a few drinks, even a bite, and there are races every 15 minutes. Everyone loves a bit if a gamble and it can be fun teaching her how to read the form and it's great craig when one of you wins!

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I think the best date I ever had with my ex...prob was our 2nd date and it he asked if I wanted to walk his dog in the Phoenix park. I dont have a dog and it was great...it also meant to could wear comfortable clothes (i didnt have to get all dolled up). To make it more funny, his dog licked my face when he put her in the car...it was gross but funny at same time.

I would only do meals because i have to and Im hungary. I personally hate romantic meals with guys and would never go on one for a date (only if he staying at mine a few dates later and we going for beers after), especially in a restaurant (ie on Valentines day type of place) with lots of other couples. Freaks me out.

Cinema is very boring, i only go to cinema when Im fighting with boyfriends and we dont have to talk to each other for 3 hours.

Bowling with 2 people goes by very quickly. If your with 6 people, it lasts ages...2 its over in a flash.

Try and get some idea's from her. Maybe look on the New and Not So New group on meetup.com. They normally have different events for people (you could get an idea and do the same thing just with her).

As in taste/dublin food festival, wine tasting, rollar skate disco (on long mile road), viking splash tour, those other river liffey sea saffari's, cooking or art class, surfing weekend, horse riding, irish music session in huges pub or around smithfield...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Tell her to wear warm clothes, for your date on friday

airline_tickets_250x251.jpg

Flights are cheap,;)

Book a nice hotel

underwater-hotel.jpg

And then for the grande finale,
    Go clubbing:confused:

Seal-Clubbing-16924.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement