Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U-turn in the port tunnel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Another reason to not have trucks in the right hand lane. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

that person should be found and shot, start to get rid of the stupid genes from humanity, as evolution isnt working quick enough

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

This nonsense has to be stopped right now before there's a serious accident (and fire) in the tunnel! That driver should be put in jail and made an example of, in order to deter this sort of reckless and outrageous behaviour for good.

How the hell did he get out alive!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can see now the importance of having cameras in the tunnels to show people that idiot drivers do exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

I am totally shocked, I don't understand how someone could be stupid enough to even contemplate doing that. Even a truck driver in the left lane might be spooked seeing a car drive against the flow of traffic. Is there a procedure in place to deal with that exact situation?

And what happened when the guy got out of the tunnel? Going through the toll from the wrong direction or continue driving against the flow of traffic on the M50...!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jaysus, I wonder did they put on the red X's in the lane he was in to let him out safely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maycie

what the hell was he thinking!!
    enough people die on our roads without people doing stupid things like that!
    not only was he putting his own life in danger but he could have hurt or killed someone he hit! it would have been murder!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How the hell did he get out alive!! :eek:

Thats what happened along the N7 last week when the two kids died and that garda got seriously hurt.

This person should never be allowed to drive again. Its the only way he will learn.

What is he likely to face? Points? Ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jaysus, they're all at it, lookie!:eek:

Check out the very last clip :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

They've got nothing on the Lefortovo tunnel in Moscow:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hecate wrote: »
    They've got nothing on the Lefortovo tunnel in Moscow:

But they are all going in the same direction. ;)

That clip has been posted here many times.

The driver of the bendi bus did well to hold it together. I've driven them myself and they can be a nightmare in frosty conditions.

I'm a bit sceptical about the truck accident about 55 seconds in. The 2nd truck appears to come out of nowhere!! Photo-shopped??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

kearnsr wrote: »

I'm curious about this myself. Could you really justify anything less than a life ban?

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thats what happened along the N7 last week when the two kids died and that garda got seriously hurt.

This person should never be allowed to drive again. Its the only way he will learn.

I'm curious about this myself. Could you really justify anything less than a life ban?
    2 penalty points for driving a vehicle against the flow of traffic on a motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

2 penalty points for driving a vehicle against the flow of traffic on a motorway!

2 Points are applied only if a fixed penalty is imposed and the fined motorist accepts them. It is perfectly within the rights of the Gardaí and/or the DPP to prosecute anybody who incurs a possible fixed penalty notice in the normal way through the courts if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What REALLY interests me about this case is the wording of the newspaper reports.
    The Gardai are said to have detected this infringement on March 7th 2007.

It appears that a summons has been issued yet it has taken 12 months for this case to recieve any publicity whilst the driver has presumably continued to U-turn his/her way around the highways and byways of the State.

Rapid Reaction Force it aint..... :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Usually it's the death penalty! plus the life of some other poor sod!

I think the penalty of driving against the flow of traffic on a motorway was introduced to help curb the occasionally seen practise of reversing on the hard shoulder after having missed an exit.

I know, but the number of lorries that have their nearside wheels over the yellow line make such a maneuver suicidal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Over here they are called ghost drivers (geisterfahrer) - great word :)

They send the warning out to other drivers over a special traffic announcement on the radio. It happens regularly - I reckon I must hear a couple a month and I don't spend that long in the car!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The offence should be rated against how stupid and or serious the offence was. Which is more dangerous what we just seen or reversing down the hard shoulder of the motorway

probably equal but anyways!

wrong way down a driving or overtaking lane should warrent a ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bryanw wrote: »
    Is there a procedure in place to deal with that exact situation?
    All the overhead traffic lights can go red, there can be an announcement on the radio* and speed limits can be dropped and the variable message systems can display a warning on the approach.

* Because the tunnel blocks normal radio signal, a half dozen stations are rebroadcast within the tunnel, in an emergency the tunnel operator can interrupt normal broadcasting.

Advertisement