Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to prevent littering.

Options
  • 29-08-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I own land on either side of a public road. There is one small section that has woodland which was planted over fifty years ago. This strip has been a litter blackspot for as long as I remember.
    It varies from mattresses to grass cutting to household waste.
    Though I do have the name of one individual that is responsible for littering (I found a pharmacy receipt in one bag of household waste) I don't think catching one person out can prevent future littering.
    Is there any way that I can prevent further littering? I was thinking of erecting a barrier made from windbreak netting. Though most rolls of this are one metre in height, I think it's also possible to get two metres. Would this be effective, I wonder? I'm open to suggestions.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Gautama wrote: »
    I own land on either side of a public road. There is one small section that has woodland which was planted over fifty years ago. This strip has been a litter blackspot for as long as I remember.
    It varies from mattresses to grass cutting to household waste.
    Though I do have the name of one individual that is responsible for littering (I found a pharmacy receipt in one bag of household waste) I don't think catching one person out can prevent future littering.
    Is there any way that I can prevent further littering? I was thinking of erecting a barrier made from windbreak netting. Though most rolls of this are one metre in height, I think it's also possible to get two metres. Would this be effective, I wonder? I'm open to suggestions.
    Thanks.
    Not the most pleasant problem to tackle. One idea is to put up a sign saying no dumping and that the area is under surveilance (Smile, you're on camera).

The EPA or your local authority may have more advice. They are the state bodies responsible for tackling this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 envaction

This is a really hard issue to tackle. I mean there is no way that I can think you will be able to prevent the littering. There will always be people who are going to do it for god knows what reason. I mean think about all the illegal things, and how people are still doing those things. So, I don't think that there is something that you can really do to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

I'd say signs and actual hidden camera's are the only hope you have.

You could try contacting the local county council litter warden and having a chat with them, they'll often install temporary hidden cams in litter black spots for a month or two.

You'll find it's mostly the same few culprits doing repeat dumping over and over and over. There is effectively zero deterrent or enforcement with illegal dumping laws in Ireland. It's a complete blight on our landscape that's been going on for years, and would be easy to sort if the political will to do so was ever there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Old thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement