Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travel with Public Services SAFE Card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

No, not at the moment anyway. They're a Public Services Card but wouldn't be deemed a travel document.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Nevermind, it seems not as Ireland can't join the Schengen member states until our masters in the UK do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

JohnsKite wrote: »
    Nevermind, it seems not as Ireland can't join the Schengen member states until our masters in the UK do.

You mean that Ireland does not wish to join the Schengen system until the UK does.

Even if they did a proper ID card would be needed, not a dole card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from the aer lingus website the following is acceptable to travel domestically or to the UK (if you are british or irish):
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/passport_visa_information.html
    the safe card sounds like it would fit in this bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

ardmacha wrote: »
    You mean that Ireland does not wish to join the Schengen system until the UK does.

Its more an issue of a fifth of the island being part of the UK and the trouble it would cause for immigration, resulting in huge fences, border checkpoints and segregation, all of which leaves us dependent on the UK (who don't really like being as much a part of the EU as they are already) making a decision they will never make and thus restricting my freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 letitiamcc

Did anyone discover if you can do this? I have lost my passport and need to travel from Gatwick to Belfast. I have rang easy jet and they seem to think that the Public Services card will be valid, but I still have a fear of showing up to the airport and being turned away.

I'm currently in England and I'm due to fly home to Ireland in 5 days and of course I have lost my passport. I've rang easyjet to ask if they would accept an Irish Public Services card and the employee was sure that it wouldn't be a problem.

He said that as long as it (a) has a photo, (b) is laminated and (c) is provided by a governing body (which would the Irish government?) that it wouldn't be a problem for me to travel from Gatwick to Belfast. I'm still a little apprehensive about it though, so any reassurance would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As long as you're not flying Ryanair you should be grand

It's definitely easyjet, so hopefully! I just want some reassurance from someone who has possibly done it before

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Gatwick to Belfast is an internal UK flight so you won't meet any immigration people, it will be all down to what's acceptable to Easyjet.

• Advertisement

Okay thanks! That's slightly comforting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I showed my LEAP card when boarding an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Manchester last year, raised eyebrows but let me through (I had my drivers licence as well, was doing it to see if I could).

Advertisement