Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I was reading about these e-cigs and came across this tread! I was wondering how many of the people on this tread have actually given up smoking since they started using the e-cigs?

How long has it been since you had a cigarette? Do you still crave for cigarettes. How often during a day would you use the e-cigs?????

Is there any side effects???

Does it burn a hole in your pocket?

And the biggest question of all!! Have you noticed any benefits to your health and fitness levels since you quit cigarettes and went on to using the e-cigs and what health benefits have you noticed yourself ????

Quicks answers
    Over 4 months without a cigarette.
    No cravings for cigs whatsoever.
    My new vaping habit is quite closely related to my old smoking habit.
    Side effects are all good!
    Burnt a hole in my pocket, but I went a bit mad, should work out much much cheaper for the vast majority.
    Health benefits - cough gone after a week, lungs much clearer, no smell of me or my clothes. My teeth / gums have improved. Think my circulation has much improved, energy levels up.

GO FOR IT!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

14 months
    when im really really really really drunk I crave a cig, but then if I have one I have to throw it away after 3 drags as it's disgusting
    I take a few drags every ten-fifteen minutes usually, weirdly unlike cigarettes if I have to go several hours without taking a drag.. it doesn't really bother me.
    side effects are a smug sense of superiority over smokers and non smokers alike
    dunno how much i've spent. probably around 6-700 quid over the last year. alot less than if I was still smoking a pack a day
    these days not so much, but when I started I noticed my sense of smell and taste returning as well as being able to climb a flight of stairs without wheezing after a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I was reading about these e-cigs and came across this tread! I was wondering how many of the people on this tread have actually given up smoking since they started using the e-cigs?
    I have, completely.
    How long has it been since you had a cigarette? Do you still crave for cigarettes. How often during a day would you use the e-cigs?????
    6 months. No craving. Used as a replacement for cig, I use it when I would have smoked.
    None that I'v noticed, dry mouth but drink water when vaping covers that.
    Money up front for the starter kit then its a bulk buy of cartos and liquid every month or so, about half the cost of cigs(I was on rolies tight git that I am)
    And the biggest question of all!! Have you noticed any benefits to your health and fitness levels since you quit cigarettes and went on to using the e-cigs and what health benefits have you noticed yourself ????

I feel better but not so much as they stop smoking people would have you believe. Better lung capacity as I don't get winded as soon now, 'of course my legs need to catch up.

As he said give it a go

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm 2 weeks off the smokes today. It took very very little willpower or desire. I had been both smoking (20+ B&H a day) and vaping for a while, and one morning I just ran out of smokes and decided not to buy any more. I haven't had any strong cravings for a smoke since, every now and then I think I'd kinda like one, but then I just vape a bit and forget about it.

I'm not sure how much I've spent/saved so far, I'm not really keeping track of that, but I definitely feel like I've more cash in my pockets and I'm not spending anywhere near as much as I did on smokes. €9+ a day on cigarettes would by you a hell of a lot of vaping supplies

In terms of health, I find I don't get out of breath going up stairs, I don't cough/wheeze anywhere near as much and I'm starting to feel like I have more energy, though I was travelling a lot last week and I'm pretty jet lagged at the moment. E-cigs are a godsend for long flights and hanging around airports btw. I did get a cough last week that I think was my lungs throwing out the last of the tar and gunk. Overall I definitely feel better, maybe not as much as the anti-smoking crowd would have you believe, but enough to be worth it.

edit: one thing I found for the first few days was that ashtrays smelled really good, good enough to lick. Luckily that passed after a few days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

stevenmu wrote: »
    I was travelling a lot last week and I'm pretty jet lagged at the moment. E-cigs are a godsend for long flights and hanging around airports btw.

Did you just put your ecig in the tray going through security or how did you carry it through?

• Advertisement

Did you just put your ecig in the tray going through security or how did you carry it through?
    I had a laptop bag with me, so just put them into pockets in that. I carried both an eGo-W and an iMist, and a case with spare bits and pieces, and they didn't raise eyebrows anywhere.

I had a laptop bag with me, so just put them into pockets in that. I carried both an eGo-W and an iMist, and a case with spare bits and pieces, and they didn't raise eyebrows anywhere.

Interesting. Did they check the pockets even?

No, I just put the bag through the x-ray machine and they didn't seem to pay any attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

In terms of health, I find I don't get out of breath going up stairs, I don't cough/wheeze anywhere near as much and I'm starting to feel like I have more energy, though I was travelling a lot last week and I'm pretty jet lagged at the moment. E-cigs are a godsend for long flights and hanging around airports btw. I did get a cough last week that I think was my lungs throwing out the last of the tar and gunk. Overall I definitely feel better, maybe not as much as the anti-smoking crowd would have you believe, but enough to be worth it.

I felt nothing health wise except for, after about a month, noticing I could take a huge deep breath. I got no cough, no extra energy, no extra sense of taste or smell.

Maybe its there but its so gradual that I never noticed. I do notice the heavier pockets though!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Swapped over to e-cigs 6 weeks ago and have not had a real fag since. I do very rarely got a slight pang for a fag but it doesn't last long at all and is not like the cravings I'd get for one when I was smoking or trying to quit cold turkey.

I've probably spent around £150 or so (living in UK) in the first few weeks but for the past few weeks I've spent nothing. You probably will spend a fair bit the first few weeks on kit and trying out juices until you settle on juice that you like and your spending will then take a big nose dive (like mine has), unless of course you keep on buying hardware. I'm very happy with my ego-c and have learnt how it works and what to look out for to avoid bad things such as leaks, burnt taste, when to replace and clean things etc.

I don't vape in the same pattern as I smoked since I can vape in the car, at home etc so there isn't as much of a sense of urgency about having to vape as I had with smoking. In the beginning I was trying to match my smoking pattern but I quickly released I didn't really need to do this.

The real nice obvious benefit is not stinking of fags. I can smell a mile off now the people in work who have just come in from a smoke and like others have said, can't help but feel smug about the whole experience. I do seem to have more energy, I'm not as tired, I can take a massive breath in and not have to cough up half of my left lung on the exhale. I feel a lot better generally. I used to get pins and needles in my arms when I'd wake up in the morning but that doesn't happen anymore. I guess the old circulation is working far better now.

I was at a poker game at a mates house last weekend and was sitting at the table vaping away without having to go outside. Was a very nice experience.

The only bad side effect I have is it does tend to dry out your mouth more than fags do, but I just take a drink of water, squash or whatever. My bank balance doesn't move with so much regularity now since I don't have to go to the shops every (other) day to buy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

TinCool wrote: »
    Swapped over to e-cigs 6 weeks ago and have not had a real fag since. I do very rarely got a slight pang for a fag but it doesn't last long at all and is not like the cravings I'd get for one when I was smoking or trying to quit cold turkey.

The good thing, with me anyhow, is that the "pangs" eventually went altogether. I'm 9 months in and already I'm starting to struggle to remember what it was like smoking. The last real pang I had was on holiday in late Sept. I was so close to buying a big durty cigar but in the end I couldn't justify spending what I would in 1 month on an e-cig on 1 smoke/Cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Do it after 9 months or so vaping I'm loving it Ry4 is still the juice for me and after the initial outlay I reckon it costs me €15-€20 to service per month..

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I have had a couple of flights recently also. Not an eyebrow raised either here or Germany. I had put my spares including juice into a transparent ziplock bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Hi I am 7 weeks vaping and six week off the cigs. I have an eGo-c.It cost a bit to get everthing but it is well worth it.from now on it will cost me about 15 euro a week untill the next gadegt comes out and then the sky is the limit.It one of the best things i ever did and feels great not having to fork out 9.10 every time go to the shops, down side is I never have milk in house now. As for health my skin is better no cough. The first week i blamed it for a lot of things eg dizzeness, sore mouth but they are symptoms of giving up the carbon monxide. Couldnt recomend this highly enough never thought i would be free of thoose nasty money grabbing killer sticks.

Ps using my husbands user name and he doesnt smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RO 06 wrote: »
    .....from now on it will cost me about 15 euro a week....
    What e-cig are you using? :eek: €15 a week sounds a lot.

Not your ornery onager

depends on what juices you are getting. if you dont like dekang, then 15 a week probably sounds about right for 30ml from the uk and us sites ive seen

Esel wrote: »
    What e-cig are you using? :eek: €15 a week sounds a lot.

I would have thought 15 Euro per week is about right? I could probably get away with less in terms of the juice but it's the constant trying out new hardware thats costing me the most.

Initially something like a 510 will be "effective" to get you off the fags but after a while I think I wanted to get something which was more "enjoyable".

If you like cartomisers you are all set but if you dont like them many of the other options have a learning curve and a certain amount of fiddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I would have thought 15 Euro per week is about right? I could probably get away with less in terms of the juice but it's the constant trying out new hardware thats costing me the most.

Initially something like a 510 will be "effective" to get you off the fags but after a while I think I wanted to get something which was more "enjoyable".

If you like cartomisers you are all set but if you dont like them many of the other options have a learning curve and a certain amount of fiddling.

Found that comment very interesting. I have found the e-go very "effective" and am into my fourth week of the fags. But what would I find more "enjoyable"??? I don't know where to go from here - its easy to get the standard start up e-cig but how do you know what to do then????

I would use 3.5 cartos a week Booge LR's and 25 to 30 ml juice so that could cost 15 euro if I bought a months supply from say here in Irl 60 euro would cover it.
    I get some juice here and all the cartos but the bulk of my juice is now bought from Inawera. I'm down to about 8 euro a week.
    Anyway 15 euro isn't 2 boxes of B&H, your 5 boxes ahead.

Shazanne wrote: »
    Found that comment very interesting. I have found the e-go very "effective" and am into my fourth week of the fags. But what would I find more "enjoyable"??? I don't know where to go from here - its easy to get the standard start up e-cig but how do you know what to do then????

I think Green Hornet was referring to the little 510 cig sized one, An eGo is a beast compared to them little things. And I used one to test the water so to speak, Never smoked since. eGo and cartos beat all the rest for convenience and effectiveness for the money. If you just want to stop smoking cigarettes they are excellent.

Dosn't mean you cant try out VV devices, diferent atomisers, better looking devices. Vaping can be a hobby in itself.

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I would use 3.5 cartos a week Booge LR's and 25 to 30 ml juice so that could cost 15 euro if I bought a months supply from say here in Irl 60 euro would cover it.
    I get some juice here and all the cartos but the bulk of my juice is now bought from Inawera. I'm down to about 8 euro a week.
    Anyway 15 euro isn't 2 boxes of B&H, your 5 boxes ahead.

3.5 cartos a week?!

Yeah I put about 8ml through a LR Booge carto and it stops wicking proper. 2, 2 1/2 days and that thing has no pull or flavor.
    I think the wick is the weakest part, the coil will fire for ages and the filler will still soak juice( I pulled one apart and the filler had as much juice as it would hold fresh) but the wick becomes clogged and cant let the juice flow as fast needed so dry burning happens, bad taste burned filler, 70 cents bin it.

ah right, yeah prob the best way to do it if you can get them cheap in bulk
    no need to sacrifice on quality and try to force an extra few days out of a buggered carto that way

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I think Green Hornet was referring to the little 510 cig sized one, An eGo is a beast compared to them little things. And I used one to test the water so to speak, Never smoked since. eGo and cartos beat all the rest for convenience and effectiveness for the money. If you just want to stop smoking cigarettes they are excellent.

Dosn't mean you cant try out VV devices, diferent atomisers, better looking devices. Vaping can be a hobby in itself.

Yeah, I was referring to the 510 with the 510 batteries. The eGo systems are much better and anybody really looking to move to vaping should skip straight to eGo style set ups I think.

lavatube finally went to unfixably ****ed so I managed to find a low res echomiser I had stashed away
    it's not too bad, decent enough vapour if freezing compared to the warmth of a 5v vape.. only problem is after 5 hours using it im getting a strong burnt taste :/

I have to top it up every few drags or the burnt taste overpowers, i dont even have to top up this often with my boge 3 ohms at 6 volts!

lavatube finally went to unfixably ****ed so I managed to find a low res echomiser I had stashed away
    it's not too bad, decent enough vapour if freezing compared to the warmth of a 5v vape.. only problem is after 5 hours using it im getting a strong burnt taste :/

I have to top it up every few drags or the burnt taste overpowers, i dont even have to top up this often with my boge 3 ohms at 6 volts!

Heard you the first time!
    I take it I'm not the only one having trouble with interwebs tonight then.

heh, you wont believe the hassle of trying to delete all those posts with boards acting up

so i've been using this echomiser for a couple of days now and I have to say I'm enjoying it. flavour wise it's ntb, but vapour production and throat hit actually is reminding me of my lavatube. it's a way way cooler vape but I was happily surprised at the amount of vapour I was getting.

when samba originally posted the thread about them, I was curious.. went in on an order with him and by the end we both were kinda unhappy with them. when they worked they worked great, which I suppose is something to keep in mind for everything e-cig but samba in particular got a load of duds in his half of the order.
    they hold a huge amount of juice, but I still have eto keep topping them up regularly to avoid burnt taste.. I dont think they're suitable for chain vaping, as if I leave them for a while the burnt taste seems to go.. or at least severely reduce

anyway, if you're looking for a new carto to try out and you're not an incredibly heavy vaper.. have a look at echomisers. I'd stop short of outright reccomending them, but if you can find one cheap enough and you're already making an order for something else.. try them out. I can definitely see them being the right carto for somebody, even if it wasn't for myself or samba.

oh and youll want to get a replacement drip tip for it.. the flat head that comes with them are ****ing awful, i think the 801 drip tips fit.

i assumed dekang juices were 70/30 pg/vg, dunno why.. think I read it somewhere, but im trying to fill a carto with some parkesvaping gummi bears atm that i had made at 70/30 and my god.. this **** is thick
    it's taking an age to soak into the filler

i guess my dekangs are 100% pg...
    god i can smell this gummi juice and at this rate i wont be able to vape it for anot her half hour.. its torture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ScottTNT

Hello, I have a Jasper & Jasper e-cigarette. I lost the usb charger so i'm trying to find another one, also it seems to be difficult locating the cartridges these days. Mcabes chemist isn't carrying them anymore apparently. Anyone know a shop that carries them? Thanks

Advertisement