Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling etiquette, meeting other cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Most people will acknowledge with a nod or a hello but I have noticed that they are more likely to do so when I'm on the road bike rather than the hybrid...wonder why. As a noob I dress like a twat whichever bike I'm on so it isn't that. Like kerry4sam above ⬆️ havn't seen much road this year but this thread is whetting the appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

I start good threads for a noob! , you'd want to see the state of me when he pulled up to me, grand aul trackies above my shimano cleats, like an pure mule It took ages to get my foot locked back on the pedal, meanwhile he zapped off and left a trail of burnt rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

If you are out on a weekday, on a sunny day, during one of those fleeting heatwave thingies that visit us on occasion, when you know full well you should be working or minding kids, or both, but have managed to wing it, and are full of the glee of having done so, and you encounter a similarly blessed cosmic traveller going in the other direction, and you give them a nod or a smile and they don't acknowledge then they are either a confirmed c**t or, by popular knowledge a triathlete, or both. Unfortunately, there are more than a few such fellow travellers. But if you ever encounter me you shall be well greeted. I remember giving two randomers a full on roar and fist pump out in connemara one beautifully sunny Friday, I just couldn't believe how lucky I was to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a148pro wrote: »
    ..... and you give them a nod or a smile and they don't acknowledge then they are either a confirmed c**t or, by popular knowledge a triathlete, or both...
    Jesus, steady on! They may be just powering ahead head down in full steam or facing a low sun obscuring their vision!

Does it really matter that much? If another cyclist didn't respond to my nod, it wouldn't bother me. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Ettiquette varies in the circumstances. At commuting time on the Grand Canal bicycle lane, there is some tense atmosphere between the cyclist who respect the traffic lights and those who don't.

There is unfriendly whispering between some representatives of both currents on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Heaven, I'm in heaven
    And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
    And I seem to find the happiness I seek
    When we're out together cycling cheek to cheek

Heaven, I'm in heaven
    And the cares that hung around me through the week
    Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak
    When we're out together cycling cheek to cheek

Oh I love to climb a mountain
    And reach the highest peak
    But it doesn't thrill (boot) me half as much
    As cycling cheek to cheek

Oh I love to go out fishing
    In a river or a creek
    But I don't enjoy it half as much
    As cycling cheek to cheek

(Come on and) spin with me
    I want my arms about you
    That those charms about you
    Will carry me through

(Right up) to heaven, I'm in heaven
    And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
    And I seem to find the happiness I seek
    When we're out together cycling, out together cycling

Out together cycling cheek to cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

i get passed by groups & soloists often enough, slow moving farm machinery & once by a scarecrow as well, but i could have been hallucenating from dehydration on that occasion, the way i look at it, i have more time to enjoy the scenary than those super fit sleek feckers who blast by me!

in regards to those who dont say hi either going past me or in the opposite direction, theyre the rude hoor, so they can hump off!

I would assume its just common sense that if you are passing a fellow cyclist give him/her aheads up so you dont scare the sh1te out of them?

Happy Crunchie day(for those not off chocolate for lent)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Lads in full Sky kit don't like to be engaged in any conversation even though they will stop elbow to elbow with you.

GBCC and ill leave it at that !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

When I lived in Ashbourne and cycled a lot of NCD and Meath, most cyclists I met on the road would nod, wave or chat. Then I moved out in the country and met fewer people out on the road, but still got around 95% reaction to nods, waves etc. Now I'm in Switzerland and cyclists here (lycra clad, not commuters) seem pretty insular and immune to acknowledging each other - or maybe just me!
    A lot I see seem to be older lads on high end bikes (with matching manufacturers gear on usually, for some reason) and very rarely will a nod or wave be reciprocated, but I still do it

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

whats a high viz person? i cycle the odd time and wear a hi viz jacket? do cyclists refer to them as noobs?

I like wearing some high viz. it gives "other road users" no good excuse!!

• Advertisement

Always love giving our neighbours, the Ratoath Wheelers, a big wave and "howaya" from the "Ash Burners" when we see them on the road. They look good in their matching kit. Hopefully we will too when our kit arrives!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Always love giving our neighbours, the Ratoath Wheelers, a big wave and "howaya" from the "Ash Burners" when we see them on the road. They look good in their matching kit. Hopefully we will too when our kit arrives!!

I must join ye for a spin soon, I've just moved home.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Midnight64 wrote: »

"And Hello to you too! Windy today isn't it? Stay off the front as long as you can!"

colm_gti wrote: »
    I must join ye for a spin soon, I've just moved home.

Currently meeting every Saturday and Sunday at 10, split into 3 groups, based on ability.

CI membership is required after a couple of tryout spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If I get passed I just scream "Recovery spin" at their escaping back wheel.

Seriously though I don't really know what to do. I wouldn't be the quickest cyclist, although I'm getting better so its rare that I pass someone anyway. I feel that there is a bit of dick waving when it comes to cycling, with people wanting to prove they are better than they are. For example, I was cycling to meet a group ride last year and I was fairly moving as it was cold so wanted to warm up the legs. I got caught at a slow set of lights about 1 km from the group and was sitting for two or three minutes and then set off again. Just as I reached the group start point another cyclist shot up from behind me stating "I've been right behind you for 5 km, knew I'd beat you here".

Firstly, good for you. Secondly you were no where near behind me for the last 5 km since I was stopped at the lights for a while, and thirdly what earthly difference does it make for Christ sake. I just shook my head and left him to it. People are weird. I forget the point I was trying to make.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

colm18 wrote: »
    Again, I'd always ask someone if they needed a hand and most I've the time a cyclist has passed me while I'm fixing a flat they've asked do I need help!

Always been my experience too, particularly in more remote areas. I'd always give a nod, wave or hello to a passing cyclist unless there's masses of cyclists out. Occasionally get chatting and cycle along with people, but more in the good weather. Going up hills, I'm invariably the one getting passed out, so try to appear nonchalant while being passed, and resume my wheezing and gulping in of air once they're gone. The same nonchalant smile is invariably dished out to the tourists at the lough bray car park 2/3 up the sally gap, trying to convey the look of 'yep, cycled up here, piece of piss really, took a bus did you?', before having a quiet heart attack on the ramp just around the corner and thankfully out of eyesight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    .....The same nonchalant smile is invariably dished out to the tourists at the lough bray car park 2/3 up the sally gap, trying to convey the look of 'yep, cycled up here, piece of piss really, took a bus did you?', before having a quiet heart attack on the ramp just around the corner and thankfully out of eyesight.
    For even greater effect, move the chain half way down the block, get out of the saddle and make it look like you've been pedalling that way since leaving Ballyboden. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

For even greater effect, move the chain half way down the block, get out of the saddle and make it look like you've been pedalling that way since leaving Ballyboden. ;)

Of course, that bus of tourists probably passed you on your way up the hill and saw you in all your handlebar chewing glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'd be in favour of giving "The Nod" or "The Wave" while out in the wilds. So much so that being off the bike and in the car wouldn't stop me, much to the amusement of my wife.
    "Why the hell are you waving at that cyclist on the bike struggling up that hill. Do you know him, or something?"
    "Well no, but..."
    *micro-salute from the dude who's run out of small gears and about to keel over*
    "...it's a cyclist thing, see?"

I'm probably just forgetting the times it's not reciprocated, but I do remember a lot of waves and nods. Overtaking lots of people in sportives and the like requires a lot of sunny "hellos" and "how's it goings", but it's not going to hurt my feelings if they don't say hi back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have only met three types of cyclists who don't wave back:
    Triathletes - they are not really cyclists
    Cyclists with nearly full kit but wearing runners instead of going with cleats - they don't know any better, give them time
    Orwell Wheelers - too good to communicate with the rest of us plebs :pac:

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have only met three types of cyclists who don't wave back:
    Cyclists with nearly full kit but wearing runners instead of going with cleats - they don't know any better, give them time
    Miaow, can we get a saucer of milk please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I say hello to everyone. Some days it takes me 2 hours to get into work :D

If I'm out on a spin and not with the club I'll give everyone a nod at least. If it's a training spin I'm too busy trying not to get dropped.

If I see someone with a mechanical I'll generally stop or ask if they need a hand. This happens more on my commute than out in the wilds on big spins. Amazing how many people will set off to cycle to work with no spares or even the vaguest notion of how to change a tube or fix a puncture.

daragh_ wrote: »
    I say hello to everyone. Some days it takes me 2 hours to get into work :D

If I'm out on a spin and not with the club I'll give everyone a nod at least. If it's a training spin I'm too busy trying not to get dropped.

If I see someone with a mechanical I'll generally stop or ask if they need a hand. This happens more on my commute than out in the wilds on big spins. Amazing how many people will set off to cycle to work with no spares or even the vaguest notion of how to change a tube or fix a puncture.
    what are spares?

extra bikes in case your good one gets dirty!

tubes - or patches

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Miaow, can we get a saucer of milk please?

My blood glucose levels are currently 23.4mmol/L. This means I have a medical excuse to be an inexcusable d*ck for about 90 minutes, of course I could still get banned, might just leave posting for a few hours.
    It should be noted that I have never met a rude Orwellian, but for some reason I can't help having digs at them, small club complex or something

It's just you they ignore. The rest of us are having loads of chats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

tubes - or patches

"It looks like he's signalling for the team car!"

tubes - or patches
    oh I see, I thought spares ment legs or lungs in case the ones you were using got tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Be careful or you'll dig up a Roadie -vs- MTBer argument :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Intervals are an odd one. You end up passing people whilst trucking it and sometimes you're just too banjaxed to say hello or give the nod.

Advertisement