Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orwell Randonnee 2015

Options
  • 12-02-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wanted to let people know that we are finalizing the details for this years Orwell Randonnee and I'll be able to share them out next week.

The date to keep free is the 2nd of May and the start/finish will be the same location.

Once again, we've changed the route to keep things fresh and I can honestly say that this years route is the hardest we've ever had!

We're keeping numbers again at 300 people so early entry is advised as we normally are well overbooked.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Looking forward to getting back to this as I missed it last year on the morning of the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Love this event

But worried with the line "hardest we've ever had". How is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bazermc wrote: »
    Love this event

But worried with the line "hardest we've ever had". How is that possible?

More ups and less downs and or flats!

No carrot cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What distance is the spin/randonne generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

140km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    More ups and less downs and or flats!

No carrot cake.

No carrot cake???? You monster!

What kind of fiend could even conceive such a thing?

Don't be putting ideas in their head!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

Good to see that the carrot cake is still valued!

Fresh off the presses, here's this years details : http://www.orwellwheelers.org/events/748-randonnee-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Now that's a decent leg stretcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Signed up :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll be doing exams. Pity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Nice, I'm in. I don't have a cycling Ireland liscence, will I need to pay more on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just signed up. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Now that's one tough route, first 50k has a serious amount of climbing. If only the descent from Glencree to the base of the Wall were smooth - maybe one day Wicklow County Council will tidy it up but I'd say it's low on their list. Will definitely be there again - easily the best day out I had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I'm in :)

Nice warm-up for the Marmotte :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

Nice, I'm in. I don't have a cycling Ireland liscence, will I need to pay more on the day?

No extra charge. You'll just need to sign an additional form on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just signed up :).

(Hopefully I'll have survived/recovered from LBL the Saturday before!)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Really tempted by this one, I am being selective this year with events otherwise I will be divcorced. Having done the WW200 past 2 years and this being being described in the past as similar but 'without the flats bits' I will sign up if its possible to sell my entry if I cannot go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

would love to sign up but i have the 200km Big Italian Bike Ride in Belfast the next day. Surely I wouldnt be fit for both

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    would love to sign up but i have the 200km Big Italian Bike Ride in Belfast the next day. Surely I wouldnt be fit for both

go for it Jim, you only live once :)
    Last year I did the Slieve Bloom Challenge the next day and thats my plan this year too (hopefully).
    I skipped the second feedstop on the Slieve Bloom (well only because the crew I was with wanted to skip it). I suffered in the final 14km (of 160km) because I had ran out of food. Dont know what it'd be like to do 200km the next day but if you got food into you quick and drove up and got a good rest, it'd be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Was only on the Orwell site earlier this week looking for the dates

Signed up

Really suffered on it last year and it does not look like it gets any easier :):) can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Signed up, let's do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

imskilguy wrote: »
    go for it Jim, you only live once :)
    Last year I did the Slieve Bloom Challenge the next day and thats my plan this year too (hopefully).
    I skipped the second feedstop on the Slieve Bloom (well only because the crew I was with wanted to skip it). I suffered in the final 14km (of 160km) because I had ran out of food. Dont know what it'd be like to do 200km the next day but if you got food into you quick and drove up and got a good rest, it'd be fine

I don't know if I would be fit for 2400m of climbing on sat and then 2000m on the sunday, this early in the season. Although I am going to climb Mt Teide in April. That should help me!

Why is this event so good? I like the look of the challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Tempted to do this as prep for the WW200. Did it in 2013 and found it brilliantly marshalled and the burger at the end was savage. Thought it was better then the WW200 personally as their are less crowds and not as much waiting at the food stop and oh yeh the carrot cake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    Tempted to do this as prep for the WW200. Did it in 2013 and found it brilliantly marshalled and the burger at the end was savage. Thought it was better then the WW200 personally as their are less crowds and not as much waiting at the food stop and oh yeh the carrot cake :D
    We could have a nice warm up spin from Rush to the start and a recovery spin on the way home to make it a 250k! :cool:

Ah no will miss it this year. Great and tough event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

In.

Need an incentive to shift the great bulging gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WHEELSX2

Now you're talkin. Smokin hot randonnee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I'm in. 2nd time to do it-5 years after the first go.

Was a great day then so I presume nothing's changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Was a great day then so I presume nothing's changed.

Nothing except the level of suffering apparently :D

"we've changed the route to keep things fresh and I can honestly say that this years route is the hardest we've ever had!"

I considered this till I googled The wall :eek: I don't think my sparrow leg would carry me up that on a triple :D

Advertisement