Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One Year Time Trial

• 02-01-2015 1:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Steven Abraham is attempting to cycle more than 75,065 miles in 2015

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

Some people need a challenge but this is madness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

godtabh wrote: »
    Steven Abraham is attempting to cycle more than 75,065 miles in 2015

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

He is one of two. An American starting soon also.

It's all relative; I heard of this the other day while doing a 260km cycle and taught it was mental. It's a never ending daily 320km cycle.

Most people who don't cycle or cycle a little think 260km in December is mental.

In the early days of bikes some lunatic went around the world in a penny farthing type bike. Prior to decent steels, wheels, etc. And of coarse decent roads. He carried it as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Tommy Godwin set this record years ago...... on a bike, that weighed about 15Kgs.

http://www.tommygodwin.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Tommy Godwin set this record years ago...... on a bike, that weighed about 15Kgs.

Not to dismiss new attempts but hard to compare with old record; given weight of bike, gearing, roads, support crew for food and bike and probably medical/massage etc.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eamonnator wrote: »

Christ - all that just to avoid conscription. Bet he didn't have the internet to distract him either ....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

ford2600 wrote: »
    Not to dismiss new attempts but hard to compare with old record; given weight of bike, gearing, roads, support crew for food and bike and probably medical/massage etc.

Yes but nowadays it's a lot easier to verify claimed distances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

He is one of two. An American starting soon also.

It's all relative; I heard of this the other day while doing a 260km cycle and taught it was mental. It's a never ending daily 320km cycle.

Most people who don't cycle or cycle a little think 260km in December is mental.

In the early days of bikes some lunatic went around the world in a penny farthing type bike. Prior to decent steels, wheels, etc. And of coarse decent roads. He carried it as much as anything.

A woman (of Latvian extraction I believe) rode solo around the world in the 19th century. She brought a repair kit and a gun with her. Took her over 9 months. I think her name was Anne. Didnt stop for coffee either...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Didnt stop for coffee either...
    Source???

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Watched episode 1 of this last night.. a mere 18,000 Miles!

http://youtu.be/8kBMGbHanLU

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hi Ho

Most 'ordinary' people think most of 'us' suffer from madness too because of our excesses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I made a contribution. He will need loads of help: physical, mental, bike maintenance, nutrition, and stuff we can't even imagine. What happens if he gets saddle sores? There could be wind, snow, ice, heatwave. He is brave to even start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

diomed wrote: »
    What happens if when he gets saddle sores? There could will be wind, snow, ice, heatwave. He is brave a complete lunatic to even start.

FYP ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi Ho wrote: »
    Most 'ordinary' people think most of 'us' suffer from madness too because of our excesses

I'm no stranger to excesss (both on and off the bike) but doing something so extreme over such s long time must have physical, physiological and mental consequences?

I'm no stranger to excesss (both on and off the bike) but doing something so extreme over such s long time must have physical, physiological and mental consequences?
    I'm sure he'll be OK - he'll have a long weekend to get over it this time next year, before heading off to work on Monday morning:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Not just people who don't cycle or cycle a little .....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll be OK - he'll have a long weekend to get over it this time next year, before heading off to work on Monday morning:pac:

He might even go in this day next year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bear in mind that after securing the record for the greatest distance cycled in a year, Tommy Godwin kept going for another 135 days to take the 100,000 miles record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I check his progress every day.
    Now at 07:00 he has been on the bike for 1 hour 5 minutes this morning. It is 3 degrees with a 30 km/hr breeze at Milton Keynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

He should have a good aerobic base for A4 in 2016.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

4,700km this January and he's still only second in the Strava monthly leaderboard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Steven is going very strong. After six weeks he covered 13k km. Madness...

Anyway, his competitor doing well also with 11k km cycled so far:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/350859

• Advertisement

The Bike Show podcast from Resonance FM has a really good show on this record attempt. Steve Abraham sounds remarkably sane. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Kurt Searvogel and his story...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A nice acticle on the man here. Well, more on the challenge actually; the man himself seems a bit of an enigma.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

A nice acticle on the man here. Well, more on the challenge actually; the man himself seems a bit of an enigma.

Some of the comments on the article are just depressing..."Frankly, if he can't beat a record set in 19 0 splosh, with all the support and technology at is disposal, he ought hang his head in shame."

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Over 20,000kms covered already this year. Going to break the 13,000 mile mark today. Really is fascinating.

He was hit by a moped this morning and has two broken bones in his ankle. It seems to be finished, for this effort anyway.

Hi Ho wrote: »
    He was hit by a moped this morning and has two broken bones in his ankle. It seems to be finished, for this effort anyway.

That is bad luck (or careless driving). Where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Advertisement