Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shouldn't have sold that PSP.

I still have it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

damn wont be getting it so :(

Jeanne D'arc is playable on vita, it's just not on the official list.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316058
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/327424-unofficial-psp-vita-compatible-games-list/

But again, you have to do the old account switching trick on the vita (described in a sticky thread in the playstation forums I think)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished FF4, it's still a great game. I didn't bother with the new optional dungeon. Went straight to the FF4 Interlude which is a pile of ****e. You are basically shipped between 3 dungeons and it gets exhausting since there's no break in between. Also 2 of those 3 dungeons are the sealed cave and tower of Babel, the two most annoying dungeons in FF4. Started the after years and it seems to start a bit better at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Just started playing Valkyrie Chronicles 2: Silmeria. I got it a few years ago but always had it in the backlog. It's pretty good, the battle system takes some getting used to and I'm still sussing out some aspects of it. There's quite a lot to manage at each time but it's not too hard to get a party/equipment configuration that is effective. Can't stand the voice acting though, but without the voices the cutscenes seem to go much slower. I'll stick with it for the moment as well, hopefully the story will get interesting.

Should probably finish FF4, I'm in the Tower of Babel in the DS version but haven't played it in a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just started playing Valkyrie Chronicles 2: Silmeria.

I still have that game in my ever growing to play pile too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Played the first two hours of tales of vesperia. Seems enjoyable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well I gave up on Valkyrie Profile anyway, may get back to it at some stage. The battle system is fun enough, and I like the way you unlock new items in the shops, but the way the einherjar works I'm finding a bit annoying. Having to change the team every time you find a new one gets a bit tedious, I guess I just don't really like the idea of boosting your characters by omitting them from your party and leveling up other ones instead.

Anyway I decided to stop playing a game with an original gameplay style and picked up Lost Odyssey which I hear is quite good. If The Last Story is anything to go by it should be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't let it put you off playing the first Valkyrie Profile game which is much, much better.

As for Last Odyssey, I ultimately enjoyed it but it has problems and isn't that great. It takes absolutely forever to get going and it starts off very slowly. The storyline isn't that great. However the short stories are excellent and it's got some good characters, especially Jansen who starts off being really unlikable.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Anyway I decided to stop playing a game with an original gameplay style and picked up Lost Odyssey which I hear is quite good. If The Last Story is anything to go by it should be.

Finished Lost Odyssey like 2 weeks, it's a grand yarn, well for 3 of the 4 disks anyway. It is unashamedly old school though, and I have no idea why. There is no form of ATB even, just a little quick time event for regular attacks.

It's alleviated by a fantastic leveling system though, basically, half you crew are mortals, the other half immortals. The mortals gain skills at preset levels. But the immortals are blank slates. So the immortals have to learn skills off mortals. I tinkered around for ages building an army of wizards :p It makes the game piss easy towards the end though...you can literally have 4 immortals and 1 mortal in the party.

As for me, I just finished my first playthrough of Xenoblade, I'm on NG+ and wow, I havn't seen such a robust NG+ since Dark Souls. It's insane. New Bosses, new armor and a kickass new weapon

Started Kingdom Hearts 2 again with the intention of beating this time. 5 hours in and it's one of the worst games I've ever played. It better pick up because it can't get worse than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Started Legend of Mana recently. It's weird.

It's not very good as well. It's got a weird FF Tactics Advance and Saga vibe to it what with the world building. It's a Kawazu game as well so it's very experimental and frankly not very good like most of his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I'm thinking of giving FF VI another shot. Unfortunately the only copy I've got is a cheap knockoff for the GBA that I unknowingly bought on eBay, seemed to do the trick at the time but now the thing can't hold onto a save file once the power is shut off. Given the extortionate price of an authentic GBA copy, I'm considering the version on the Wii Virtual Console. Has anyone played this version? Seems to be a straight port of the original, (given that it's titled FFIII), does anyone know if it's plagued by the load times the PS1 version is supposed to have? Any thoughts on it would be welcome :)

It's a straight port of the SNES version, no load times. Probably the best way to play it outside of on original hardware or emulation through BSNES.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

It's a straight port of the SNES version, no load times. Probably the best way to play it outside of on original hardware or emulation through BSNES.

Thanks Retro, sound advice as always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Finished XIII-2, got all Achievements etc.

It was shockingly easy to max out, 10 days on this playthrough infact.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Started playing FF9 again on my PSP. I just left Eiko's home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Started Kingdom Hearts 2 again with the intention of beating this time. 5 hours in and it's one of the worst games I've ever played. It better pick up because it can't get worse than this.

The combat is fun, but it's not the type of game that I'll ever return to. Fighting Sephiroth was a lot of fun. Nomura's belt and zippers fetish is in full force in KH2. Near enough every villain is just a variation of Sephiroth with a different looking hairstyle.

The first 5 hours are absolutely horrendous. It's starting to get better now but they absolutely destroyed the combat in the game with the parry move. Basically it's x to attack and x to parry. However the parry has not timing so mashing the x button is an I win button. Sure there's reaction commands as well but I see absolutely not reason to use anything other than the x button and reaction commands. A shame because the combat in KH1 was the perfect kind of challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Got Y's 7 after the recommendations on here and have been dipping in and out of it for the past two weeks whilst on holiday. Only about 5 hours in but it's a great little game. Bosses are the highlight, the battle with the insect guy in the
    Sacred Tree
    was intense!

The Monster Hunter-esque weapon/item creation is nice too.

• Advertisement

Dipped into Etrian Odyssey and have reached the 2nd Stratum. It's a superb dungeon crawler, probably the best I've yet played. Tough but very, very rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Dipped into Etrian Odyssey and have reached the 2nd Stratum. It's a superb dungeon crawler, probably the best I've yet played. Tough but very, very rewarding.

I'm still playing the second one on and off, really good game. can be very tough though as you said. dark spire is another one thats supposed to be quite good, has anyone played it?

I'm still playing the second one on and off, really good game. can be very tough though as you said. dark spire is another one thats supposed to be quite good, has anyone played it?

I heard it's a lot more old school and tough than even Etrian Odyssey. You have to grind like crazy in it. There is a mod for the game that increases exp gain x4 which supposedly makes the game far more playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Continuing the Atlus dungeon crawling theme I'm currently playing Strange Journey, which I'm absolutely loving. Have the 3 DS Etrian Odysseys to work through too, as well as trying to finish Devil Survivor and starting its sequel.

ghostchant wrote: »
    trying to finish Devil Survivor

Which route did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm stuck at the battle at the end of
    The 6th day, right before you have to choose. Need to grind a bit but it's a pretty slow process.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I'm stuck at the battle at the end of
    The 6th day, right before you have to choose. Need to grind a bit but it's a pretty slow process.

Yeah, the free battles give you feck all EXP it's more the Macca you get that matters so you can re-summon the demons you've used as fusion material. If you waste an expensive demon fusing a less-than-useful one it can really set you back hours.

I just beat Dragon Quest IX. It's a great game if a little disappointing. the town stories are good but not up to the usual DQ standards except for the final one which was really sweet. Also the game was quite easy and I felt the game didn't let you unlock enough skills before the end game. However I have to say the real meat of the game is in the post game quests and treasure maps which are really addictive and this section of the game is superb and I'm going to keep playing the game for a long time I feel. Also hoping to pick it up for my GF so we can play through the game in co-op.

Finished the 4th dungeon in Ys 7 (the
    Wind Dragon
    one). The size of the dungeons is spot on imo as any longer and the repetitive combat would begin to drag . They're smaller than most and only feature one real "puzzle" but each environment has its own unique flavour and the variety in the enemies is pretty good.

The bosses are still the highlight. Each is a real challenge of your fingers' stamina!

• Advertisement

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Started playing FF9 again on my PSP. I just left Eiko's home.

Gonna buy that soon on the vita

Advertisement