Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shorts or long bib shorts for road cycling

Options
  • 05-03-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Looking to buy shorts for road cycling which is better
    Shorts or long bib shorts ??? Not gel padded
    Cheerz for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

nedcbr6 wrote: »
    Looking to buy shorts for road cycling which is better
    Shorts or long bib shorts ??? Not gel padded
    Cheerz for the help

Bib shorts for summer (with gel pad)
    Bib tights for this time of year (with gel pad)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Training Logs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Bibshorts

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hi Ho

Depends how fast you go. 10 degrees is my cut off point for long legs on regular spins, except for v slow rides in wins

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

I'd recommend going for a bib variant in either shorts or tights over plain shorts as it stops them from getting pulled down to no need to be pulling shorts up as you go. They also keep your mid section warmer.

You could always get bib shorts and some leg warmers for colder days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Thermal bib shorts with leg warmers for the winter
    Thermal bib shorts with knee warmers for spring weather
    Thermal bib shorts for Irish summer most of the time
    Bib shorts for hot summer or riding abroad

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Only needed full bib-tights perhaps 4 or 5 times this winter, but I've not been getting out as much as previous winters. Will only tend to use them when it's getting down to 3 or 4 degrees or it's a slow recovery spin

Between October and March when the temperature is perhaps 5-10 degrees (as was the case this morning) I'll use 3/4 length bib-knickers. Hopefully come April it will be back to just bib-shorts although there are some that come with thicker material I will use until it does get a bit warmer

I always find though that if my top half is properly insulated I den't really notice too much cold in the legs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

November to March(roughly)= thermal bib knickers

April to October= Bib shorts.

Thermal bib shorts are fairly pointless IMO.

Why don't you want a gel pad?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've been using 3/4 length since December with leg warmers on colder days. Getting a little warmer now so no leg warmers and probably move to bib shorts in the next couple of weeks. As Beasty said the legs will be pumping enough to stay warm. Good wicking base layer under one or two jerseys when it's very cold - with a jacket as needed - is more important. Your core needs to stay warm. Also neoprene overshoes as my toes really get cold when out in cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

bibshorts for me, im a big on the pudgy side so they seem to suit me a lot better and regular shorts.

And padding is an absolute must.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Orion wrote: »
    I've been using 3/4 length since December with leg warmers on colder days. Getting a little warmer now so no leg warmers and probably move to bib shorts in the next couple of weeks. As Beasty said the legs will be pumping enough to stay warm. Good wicking base layer under one or two jerseys when it's very cold - with a jacket as needed - is more important. Your core needs to stay warm. Also neoprene overshoes as my toes really get cold when out in cold weather.

The importance of show covers is often under estimated. I wear some form of shoe cover on any day that's under 25C. Which is around 364 days a year in Ireland. Cold feet can ruin any spin.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    The importance of show covers is often under estimated. I wear some form of shoe cover on any day that's under 25C. Which is around 364 days a year in Ireland. Cold feet can ruin any spin.

I'm always getting "Cold Feet".:rolleyes:

Advertisement