Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strada Bianche Eroica Pro

Options
  • 05-03-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Strade Bianche a relatively new but popular semi classic is on this Saturday. 50kms of dirt roads instead of cobbles with lots of short hills make this a challenging race (especially if it rains!!) Last year Kwiatowski beat Sagan in the tough uphill finish into Siena Cancellara has won twice and its his first venture in the Spring classics so interesting to see how he is going. Both Sagan and Kwiatowski are riding as are Valverde, Gilbert. Stybar. Stannard. Vanmarcke, Van Avermaet, Nibali, Lars Boom, Cataldo, Hesjedal, Cunego. Visconti (might be a winner in there somewhere!! ;) I think Peter Kennaugh is riding very well for Sky, worth an outside bet and young Adam Yates might be worth watching too. Sagan Cancellara Kwiatowski Valverdi and Van Avermaet to fight it out for the win. Think its live on Eurosport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

If it rains expect something like this!! The epic stage 7 of the 2010 Giro into Montalcino which included quite a few kms of the dirt roads in Strade Bianche. If you haven't seen it then here is the last 20kms. One of my all time favourite stages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

the Strade Bianchi is a great race. I reckon at about 20km from the finish, the lead bunch of 20-30 will look at Cancellara, start dicking about and a couple will go for it, and from there will be the winner.

Or Ian Stannard will win as Sky DS said it's ‘too hard’ for him.

One think that srikes me about the Strade Bianchi is how ugly the outskirts of Siena is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

What I saw of last year was a great race so hopefully will catch some of this later. Sagan to get his season moving perhaps though there's no shortage of class riders obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Typical Eurosport. Coverage starts and within a minute they take an ad break! Hopefully that will mean an uninterrupted business end of the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

"Now for a commercial break.."

Not even broadcasting for a minute :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

whoops that took ages to post. great race though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I never knew until now that the Slovakian and Czech national road race championships were held in the same race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Garmindale jersey doesn't look so bad on tv. Such a pretty race though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I never knew until now that the Slovakian and Czech national road race championships were held in the same race.

Yeah, strange that.

The combination of Sagan's national champion jersey, his strangely coloured helmet, the Saxo team coloured-bike results in an ugly mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Anyone else having issues with Eurosport player. Won't let me watch.

Leaving aside Astana controversy, shows why for a lot of people Nibali really strikes a chord. Genuine Grand Tour contender obviously, has won all 3 GTs, & here mixing it with the likes of Sagan & Cancellara in their kind of race. Much broader than the likes of Froome & Contador in terms of traditional all-terrain racer.

Orica are doing a serious amount of work to bring back the lead group.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ROK ON wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with Eurosport player. Won't let me watch.

working perfect for me

Sagan dropped.

Stybar is looking super strong.

It's going to take a lot of effort from Cancellara to get back to Valverde, Stybar etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Valverde looks so strong ..and he can sprint the climb...But I hope its someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Please let it be someone other than Valverde.

happytramp wrote: »
    Please let it be someone other than Valverde.

I think Stybar is the only rider strong enough to beat Valverde today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Watching this since 1.30pm

Looks good for Valverde.

I always think of Saint Catherine of Siena when I hear Siena, she was was from a large family, 2nd youngest of 26 children.
    She put the place on the map.

Going for Valverde still...

Looks like it's going to come down to the final climb between Valverde, Stybar and Van Avermaet.

I'm going for Stybar!

ValVerde gone.

Stybar has it.

Looks like it's going to come down to the final climb between Valverde, Stybar and Van Avermaet.

I'm going for Stybar!

You win.

Enjoyed that.

I'm amazed how easily Valverde cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Good finish. Surprised valverde got dropped so easily

Stybar shows you're never going to be too far wrong plumping for a QuickStep rider in the one-days.

I'm amazed how easily Valverde cracked.

He had nothing on that final climb alright.

Nicolas Roche in the Paris-Nice, no doubt the support act for Bradley Wiggins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

RobertKK wrote: »
    He had nothing on that final climb alright.

Nicolas Roche in the Paris-Nice, no doubt the support act for Bradley Wiggins.

Support act for Richie Porte

So glad Valverde cracked there ....

And wonder what happened to Sagan...went very early ...he usually can be there till the end ??? Tinkov no doubt will be shouting later

Advertisement