Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taboo English Essay Topics?

• 07-02-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Is there such thing? For LC English can you write about anything and everything, or should certain subjects be avoided? One of the students in my class wrote about molestation/rape/murder (fictional short story) in their English mock. I began to wonder is this a common thing? It was the first time I heard of someone writing about this in an exam setting, and I honestly didn't think it was really appropriate. What do you think? Is there certain topics to be avoided in essay writing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Is there such thing? For LC English can you write about anything and everything, or should certain subjects be avoided? One of the students in my class wrote about molestation/rape/murder (fictional short story) in their English mock. I began to wonder is this a common thing? It was the first time I heard of someone writing about this in an exam setting, and I honestly didn't think it was really appropriate. What do you think? Is there certain topics to be avoided in essay writing?
    My teacher has always said to push the boundaries and try to be as creative as you possibly can be. There's plenty of books held in major esteem and recognition worldwide that discuss such 'taboo' topics, so there's really no reason we shouldn't tap into those topics in Leaving Cert English. Many people sitting the exam are adults, and thus adult topics are bound to be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

while i agree with the idea that english essays should aim to be interesting and engaging and, if possible, off the beaten track, you have to bear in mind that the teacher marking your exam is a human too and may have a personal and visceral reaction to more upsetting or 'edgy' topics. I would steer clear of it to be honest unless it's absolutely necessary, too much of a risk on your half and not much to gain if any at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you can write about such topics well and they are relevant to the title, I wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

while i agree with the idea that english essays should aim to be interesting and engaging and, if possible, off the beaten track, you have to bear in mind that the teacher marking your exam is a human too and may have a personal and visceral reaction to more upsetting or 'edgy' topics. I would steer clear of it to be honest unless it's absolutely necessary, too much of a risk on your half and not much to gain if any at all.

This was my general line of thinking. And while examiners are adults, I don't think everyone would be comfortable reading these topical issues in such graphic terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Susan_Batten

Thanks for useful info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This is hardly a new concept is it? My strategy for LC English was having a bank of a couple of essays I'd refined with the help of my English teacher to A1 standard where I could simply re-write the final draft of whichever of thsoe essays could best be fitted to one of the titles on the paper.

The one I ended up using was one I had been pretty proud of in 5th Year but probably lost some of it's impact by the time the LC rolled around because by then The Prodigy had used the same plot twist in their "Smack My Bitch Up" video and the examiner no doubt thought I'd cogged the storyline from that!

Advertisement