Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic Insurance - W124, 21 Years Old

• 02-09-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey guys. So I'm 21 years old and I've been living in Ireland for the past 9 years. I got my full driving license 3 years ago and I've been driving ever since so I have 3 years no claims as a named driver.

I own a 1994 Mercedes E220 Estate (S124). I bought it a year ago as a project car and brought it back to life. I got a few quotes and neither were under €1800. Being only part time employee at the moment I can't afford that along with the €951 euro tax.

I have since bought a 1996 Golf MK3 1.4 which I got insured on as a primary driver.

My question now is will someone insure the Merc for me on classic car insurance? I've seen several companies that stated you need to have a primary vehicle (which I have) but you need to be above 25 years old -_-

I'd like to insure the Merc on classic to be able to drive it on the weekends and to my garage where I work on the car. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Insure it as a classic on your Mum's policy and you as a named driver. Go to AXA as they seem to be the best.

I have all my W124's and W126 with them .... and my VW Syncro!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I tried AXA for a quote in July (1978 1.9 petrol, limited mileage) and they wanted silly money (I've a full NCB for 20+ years, advanced driver, club member, etc etc).

I ended up getting a much better deal from First Ireland.

Maybe you didn't smile on the phone! I have a w126, a W124, S124 and a 1.1 Polo all for €325. I too have a full NCB for 20+ years, advanced driver and club member etc .....

w124man wrote: »
    Maybe you didn't smile on the phone! I have a w126, a W124, S124 and a 1.1 Polo all for €325. I too have a full NCB for 20+ years, advanced driver and club member etc .....

I always 'smile' on the phone!:D
    AXA wanted €365 - compared to €230 from First Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you wont get classic insurance at 21...and they wont add you as a named driver if your Mam did the policy.

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote: »
    I always 'smile' on the phone!:D
    AXA wanted €365 - compared to €230 from First Ireland.

One car for €230 .....

Four cars for €325 .... I win !!

I can add extra cars for €20 each - four cars (for me) = €310 ...I win!:P

Seriously though, I didnt have much time to shop around (needed the car for an imminent big event) so I hope to get a keener deal next year. (Compared to my classic policy...my everday insurance is only €280 ..1.6 petrol..unlimited mileage!). Ideally we both should be paying c.€150 for our classic policies (for one car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

did anyone read the OP?

did anyone read the OP?

Yes! I answered him! I know the chap and my suggestion was genuine. Nice young lad who is a genuine car nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DESPERADO21CZ

Thanks for the replies guys. I was working for the past few days. Tomorrow I'll call around and see if there are any relatively cheap options for me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement