Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Just listened to Faber on the MMA hour with Helwani. My opinion of him has not changed:

Same here. What a tool. Tried to backtrack as well on comments he made a few months ago about Conor McGregor basically being mentally weak for tappin twice early in his career.

He got a bit snippy as well when Helwani called him out on it asked if his opinion had changed after seeing Conor under pressure against Mendes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

John_D80 wrote: »
    Same here. What a tool. Tried to backtrack as well on comments he made a few months ago about Conor McGregor basically being mentally weak for tappin twice early in his career.

He got a bit snippy as well when Helwani called him out on it asked if his opinion had changed after seeing Conor under pressure against Mendes.

Faber always gives Helwani abuse, it is in good fun. I'm not a big fan of him personally but hes always a good interview.

Do you work for BT?

Nope but I know a bargain when I see one. I used to spend hours trying to find watchable streams on nights of UFC events, as well as trying to download TUF episodes that may or May not have had viruses.

20 quid month is a steal. We are spoiled in this country and don't know how lucky we have it. I was in the US last week for McGregor /Mendes and got talking to a fan who told me it costs him and his friends many hundreds of dollars a year to watch all the live events even when they share the expense.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Faber always gives Helwani abuse, it is in good fun. I'm not a big fan of him personally but hes always a good interview.

I know what you mean but I thought it wasn't quite the usual banter they have.

Nope but I know a bargain when I see one. I used to spend hours trying to find watchable streams on nights of UFC events, as well as trying to download TUF episodes that may or May not have had viruses.

20 quid month is a steal. We are spoiled in this country and don't know how lucky we have it. I was in the US last week for McGregor /Mendes and got talking to a fan who told me it costs him and his friends many hundreds of dollars a year to watch all the live events even when they share the expense.

BT is great value. Ill be getting rid of it soon as i gotta trim some costs but i would take it over Sky Sports any day of the week.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean but I thought it wasn't quite the usual banter they have.

Ah it is always like that, it was similar before or after the Edgar fight when he was on a few months ago. He knows Helwani is a bit of troll and just has fun giving him abuse.

BT is great value. Ill be getting rid of it soon as i gotta trim some costs but i would take it over Sky Sports any day of the week.

So true. For what you get for the money, the value is something else. Not just for MMA/UFC either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I thought he was being a bit of a d*ck to Helwani in general. I know he was kinda joking but the stuff he said to him just came across as disrespectful in a passive aggressive way, as in he was chipping away at Helwani in a smart ass way through humour.

The grappling conversation was weird. Faber saying that McGregor's grappling was very bad on Saturday despite the fact that McGregor handled himself very well off his back. There's more to grappling than just taking someone down to the ground and I think that's what Helwani was calling him on in that one.

I thought he was being a bit of a d*ck to Helwani in general. I know he was kinda joking but the stuff he said to him just came across as disrespectful in a passive aggressive way, as in he was chipping away at Helwani in a smart ass way through humour.

The grappling conversation was weird. Faber saying that McGregor's grappling was very bad on Saturday despite the fact that McGregor handled himself very well off his back. There's more to grappling than just taking someone down to the ground and I think that's what Helwani was calling him on in that one.

His sub defence on the guillotine was great and so was his scrambling, but his take down defence was pretty weak and offered nothing off his back when he had Chad in his guard. The knee injury can probably explain those ones though but there was a lot of holes in the grappling, i don't think it is unfair to say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

NTV, FTW!

• Advertisement

His sub defence on the guillotine was great and so was his scrambling, but his take down defence was pretty weak and offered nothing off his back when he had Chad in his guard. The knee injury can probably explain those ones though but there was a lot of holes in the grappling, i don't think it is unfair to say that.

Yeh, true there were those weaknesses. Think Helwani was focusing on his ability to escape from the submission really. Let's be fair, McGregor is never going to be able to out wrestle Mendes so his best tactic is defensive grappling which I thought he did reasonably well.

McGregor is getting little or no credit anywhere for the solid work he did on his back against Mendes so I certainly wouldn't expect any from Faber. From what I saw, McGregors closed guard is not a pleasant place to be at all, even for the best wrestler in the division.

Face to face I can see Conor winding Faber up to the last. Faber does a Avery poor job of trying to appear like he doesn't care about McGregor IMO.

I would strongly disagree with the bolder part. The strength of his guard game was what saved him from taking a lot more devastating elbows than he did and also allowed him to get in some decent strikes from bottom.

Yeh, true there were those weaknesses. Think Helwani was focusing on his ability to escape from the submission really. Let's be fair, McGregor is never going to be able to out wrestle Mendes so his best tactic is defensive grappling which I thought he did reasonably well.

Agreed.
    McGregor is getting little or no credit anywhere for the solid work he did on his back against Mendes so I certainly wouldn't expect any from Faber. From what I saw, McGregors closed guard is not a pleasant place to be at all, even for the best wrestler in the division.

Face to face I can see Conor winding Faber up to the last. Faber does a Avery poor job of trying to appear like he doesn't care about McGregor IMO.

Faber is pretty smart he knows full well getting opposite Conor = $$$$$$. I'd say he will be well able for him, hes been angling for this at every opportunity for ages.

I would strongly disagree with the bolder part. The strength of his guard game was what saved him from taking a lot more devastating elbows than he did and also allowed him to get in some decent strikes from bottom.

He ate plenty of GnP and never once looked like getting up or going for subs, it was when Chad tried to advance in the scrambles that he got his success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Showing my UFC newb'ness again here, but what's the story with this show? It sounds like Big Brother for MMA fighters (which is a good thing!). Is it episodic/weekly/daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Weekly reality show. Fighters live in a house. Fight each other in a tournament. Final takes place on a Fight Night style UFC card called the "finale". Winner gets a "Six Figure UFC Contract".

TBH, there aren't really too many obvious upsides to winning the competition over just competing and looking good. The fights don't even count on your record (they're technically exhibition bouts).

Just get in there and give yourself a good showing. Get yourself a fight on the finale, win it, build from there. It used to say "One Contract" in the titles but that's not true. All of the decent fighters end up getting a shot! Some of the biggest starts of the sport were non-winners of TUF (Including current BW Champion TJ Dillashaw)

He ate plenty of GnP and never once looked like getting up or going for subs, it was when Chad tried to advance in the scrambles that he got his success.

I can see where you're coming form to a point but to be fair to McGregor, I don't think people are judging his grappling relative to the conditions he fought under (ie: little or no wrestling in training camp') and certainly not relative to his opponent, the best wrestler in the division, according to most.

If he had found himself in a position like that against the likes of say Bermudez or Lentz then yes I would have major questions about his grappling but to be fair to him, I think he managed to use his closed gaurd to great effect to stifle many attempted GNP strikes. Those long legs of his must have been a nightmare forChad. I think he more or less gave Mendes no option but to go for the sub from a less than favourable position.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Showing my UFC newb'ness again here, but what's the story with this show? It sounds like Big Brother for MMA fighters (which is a good thing!). Is it episodic/weekly/daily?

Big brother contestants aren't half as hormonal or bitchy as some of the fighters that have appeared on TUF over the years!!!

I can see where you're coming form to a point but to be fair to McGregor, I don't think people are judging his grappling relative to the conditions he fought under (ie: little or no wrestling in training camp') and certainly not relative to his opponent, the best wrestler in the division, according to most.

If he had found himself in a position like that against the likes of say Bermudez or Lentz then yes I would have major questions about his grappling but to be fair to him, I think he managed to use his closed gaurd to great effect to stifle many attempted GNP strikes. Those long legs of his must have been a nightmare forChad. I think he more or less gave Mendes no option but to go for the sub from a less than favourable position.

They are very fair points about the level of wrestling, no question Mendes is elite i guess i'm just critiquing the holes in the game as i'm sure lots of other fighters think they can expose them which makes all his next few fights crazy exciting.

In regards to the bold i would say the fact Mendes was wrecked tired and probably knew he had to finish had a lot to do with him jumping for the guillotine. There was literally nothing left after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Do ye think with Conor takin part in this mean he won't be fighting until later in 2016. The reason I ask is that the UFC have MGM arena booked for 2nd of jan 2016 and I am bookin flights home for Christmas and wanna be as sure as possible he won't be fighting aldo the 2nd. With the treatment for his knee and him taken up with this commitment he would hardly be ready for the media commitments if fighting on jan2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Nothing is set in stone for Jan 2nd, only Lorenzo commenting that the arena is booked & John Kavanagh alluding to it on the MMA Hour that he'd be away for Xmas.

As of right now I'd say it is pretty likely it will go down on Jan 2nd though as from what I'm reading online a season of TUF only takes 6 weeks to film....that would give Conor a couple weeks off afterwards & then back into a training camp for Jan 2nd

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Nothing is set in stone for Jan 2nd, only Lorenzo commenting that the arena is booked & John Kavanagh alluding to it on the MMA Hour that he'd be away for Xmas.

As of right now I'd say it is pretty likely it will go down on Jan 2nd though as from what I'm reading online a season of TUF only takes 6 weeks to film....that would give Conor a couple weeks off afterwards & then back into a training camp for Jan 2nd

John Kavanagh also said on the MMA hour that Conor likes to keep active in his down time and is not really interested in doing much else other than MMA. Kavanagh was saying that TUF would be a good way for him to stay involved and he reckoned that Conor would enjoy the experience and find it fun. Given that, I would say that TUF is actually being looked at as a break for Conor and he would probably be able to get back to full training straight away after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Faber talks TUF & Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Faber talks TUF & Conor

There's the faber iv loved for the past few years, great to see him not acting like an immature prick anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Exactly Asot, great interview and reminded me why I liked the guy. TJ is the same but anytime he's around his 'Bro's', he goes into full douche mode.

On the other side, I hope Conor is able to relax and have fun with the season instead of his intense side during a fight build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I always liked Faber, never really got why people were ****ting on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

I imagine the actual coaching will be left to JK

Iirc, he was on the mma hour podcast last week and said he didn't anticipate being involved in tuf much if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SteM wrote: »
    Iirc, he was on the mma hour podcast last week and said he didn't anticipate being involved in tuf much if at all.

He also said on the MMA Hour that McGregor was always in the plans for TUF 22. It had been decided that McGregor would be one of the coaches months previous and if he beat Aldo, he's coach against Mendes and fight him at the end. If he lost against Aldo, he'd coach against Faber and fight him in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cast revealed:

http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-ultimate-fighter/story/ufc-ultimate-fighter-conor-mcgregor-urijah-faber-full-cast-tuf-22-announced-083115?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

United States:
    Andreas Quintana (8-1) from Albuquerque, N.M.
    Austin Springer (8-0) from Portland, Ore.
    Billy Quarantillo (6-1) from Tampa, Fla.
    Brandon Ricetti (7-1) from Chico, Calif.
    Brennan Sevin (7-1) from Chauvin, LA.
    Chris Gruetzemacher (12-1) from Peoria, AZ
    Jason Soares (8-0) from Miami, Fla.
    Johnny Nunez (5-1) from Las Vegas, NV
    James Jenkins (8-1) from Long Island, NY
    Jason Gonzalez (9-2) from Colton, Calif.
    Julian Erosa (14-1) from Yakima, Wash.
    Mike Flach (7-1) from Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
    Ryan Hall (4-1) from Falls Church, VA
    Thanh Le (4-1) from New Orleans, LA
    Tim Welch (12-5) from Glendale, Ariz.
    Tom Gallicchio (19-8) from Perth Amboy, N.J.

Europe:
    Artem Lobov (11-10-1-1) from Dublin, Ireland
    Abner Lloveras (19-7-1) from Barcelona, Spain
    David Teymur (3-1) from Stockholm, Sweden
    Djamil Chan (19-2) from Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Frantz Frank Slioa (4-0) from Stockholm, Sweden
    Marcin Wrzosek (10-2) from Bydgoszcz, Poland
    Martin Delaney (10-1) from Bathgate, Scotland
    Martin Svensson (14-5) from Malmo, Sweden
    Mehdi Baghdad (11-3) from Toulon, France
    Mohamed Grabinski (10-1) from Dusseldorf, Germany
    Paulo Boer (10-1-1) from Holland