Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I believe in Kevpants" (S&SS Off Topic thread)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Banned from H&F. Need to find a thread to troll here but there's nothing doing... :)

Anyway finally got my battling ropes from a marine supplies store. Went for 36mm and they're 13m long which is slightly longer than regular ones but they have to double as grip trainers for my new invention too. I used them once before in another facility, but they were lighter and shorter. They're savage. Going to get Hestley to bring up his prowler for some pulling stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Banned from H&F. Need to find a thread to troll here but there's nothing doing... :)

Anyway finally got my battling ropes from a marine supplies store. Went for 36mm and they're 13m long which is slightly longer than regular ones but they have to double as grip trainers for my new invention too. I used them once before in another facility, but they were lighter and shorter. They're savage. Going to get Hestley to bring up his prowler for some pulling stuff too.

Cost and location of said supply store..

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I don't understand why Mischa and Malanichev are in there.
    They don't do any of the shouting or raging.

Cost and location of said supply store..

I actually don't remember the name but it's on the pier in Howth. It's a hardware shop and boating supplies place. You ask behind the counter then get taken upstairs to the rope room. Total cost including getting them spliced into a loop on each end was €110. I meant to get a large shackle too but I forgot to bring more money :D

They're great craic, very hard and a great tool to add in especially since we're indoors with no room for rowers etc. It seems all upper body as Himsey was saying but I've done them before with shuffles and it becomes very total body.

• Advertisement

Hidisbey put photos up on the bookface the other night for his fanz...the new place looks well Barry

Hidisbey put photos up on the bookface the other night for his fanz...the new place looks well Barry

Thanks. Some cosmetic work still to be done but after a lot of work it's finally the way I want it. It's just about the nicest MMA/BJJ gym I've ever been in. My last two places were a converted office suite and a converted warehouse but this is custom built so there's no poles/pillars and so on jutting out plus it looks all shiny and new.

You do a bit of jiu jitsu yourself right? In Limerick? If you're ever about Dublin drop me or Hechley a line and come down for a session.

Thanks. Some cosmetic work still to be done but after a lot of work it's finally the way I want it. It's just about the nicest MMA/BJJ gym I've ever been in. My last two places were a converted office suite and a converted warehouse but this is custom built so there's no poles/pillars and so on jutting out plus it looks all shiny and new.

You do a bit of jiu jitsu yourself right? In Limerick? If you're ever about Dublin drop me or Hechley a line and come down for a session.

I will def take you up on that! Not bjj more self defence / traditional...do a good bit of ground work so ill try my hand and see how it goes :)

I will def take you up on that! Not bjj more self defence / traditional...do a good bit of ground work so ill try my hand and see how it goes :)

Ah BJJ is as traditional as it gets. At a fundamental level, it's all just man hugging anyway.

Ah BJJ is as traditional as it gets. At a fundamental level, it's all just man hugging anyway.

lol grand so...

Ill give you a shout next time im up!

In a completely unrelated note...

http://exmod-uk.com/index.php

I've wasted an hour on here....I need an armoured car :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Yeah if I lived in Limerick I would want / need one too! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Probably lighter on juice than either of those other things you drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Dana White just put this up on faceshíts.

http://davidbartongym.com

By far some of the most over the top gyms EVER.

BELLE-WebGallery4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Train > sleep on couch. Nice.

Probably lighter on juice than either of those other things you drive

ah come on now thats not......fook...that is true...seriously...the M does single digits mpg at times :(

Dathai wrote: »
    Dana White just put this up on faceshíts.

http://davidbartongym.com

By far some of the most over the top gyms EVER.

BELLE-WebGallery4.jpg

Dear god....imaging letting us off in a place like that...

L snatching
    Me beating the crap out of something and being angry
    Da za barking
    Henners correcting some yank on his kettle bell's
    Hanley posing topless for some underage american chicks
    COH telling the owner to fook off

actually...Hanley would fit right in with the other gym users..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Timoney up here will make you one. Or you could ask them for an ''intern-ship'' as a test driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Dear god....imaging letting us off in a place like that...

L snatching
    Me beating the crap out of something and being angry
    Da za barking
    Henners correcting some yank on his kettle bell's
    Hanley posing topless for some underage american chicks
    COH telling the owner to fook off

actually...Hanley would fit right in with the other gym users..

ha ha ha I could totally see that! I wouldnt make it past the couch! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dead Ed wrote: »

Outstanding.

Other than incredible genetics and hard work, anyone know how he's training or what he's doing different?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Hanley wrote: »
    Outstanding.

Other than incredible genetics and hard work, anyone know how he's training or what he's doing different?

Last I heard he was squatting 5x5 every day and seems to just drink a lot of milk. Don't think he bothers with any assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭COH

Last I heard he was squatting 5x5 every day and seems to just drink a lot of milk. Don't think he bothers with any assistance.

Thats not complicated enough.. we demand the russian secrets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

COH wrote: »
    Thats not complicated enough.. we demand the russian secrets

Um he's using a classic Bulgarian double volume starting strength cycle bro

http://arnoldsportsfestival.com/home/sports-and-events/strongman-classic.html

That's a serious line up. Events are a bit odd. Deadlift will be a hoot! Benni, Shaw and Z have all pulled massive lifts.

Matesz Baron
    Haftor Bjornsson
    Mike Jenkins
    Mikhail Koklyaev
    Benedickt Magnusson
    Derek Poundstone
    Zydrunas Savickas
    Laurence Shahlaei
    Brian Shaw

Best Performance Inside Competition
    1,100.5 pounds (500 kg), Brian Shaw and Zydrunas Savickas, 2011
    Best Performances outside Competition on 4th Attempt:
    1,102.3 pounds (500 kg), Benedikt Magnusson, 2008
    1110.5 pounds (505 kg), Zydrunas Savickas, 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Hilarious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Ahhhhhhhhhh!
    *lightbulb turns on*

I think I finally understand what's meant by 'drive your head back'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I made 2x 6" long, 3.5" diameter tubes for my chinup bar -as I expected not a hope in hell of doing a chinup with them! but might work for rows on some adjustable webbing straps. You can use just one at a time to force one arm to do the bulk of the work.

What is more interesting is I made them from a thick cardboard roll, like what a carpet or something might be on. It is 6mm thick and rock solid, had to cut it with a hacksaw and it was like cutting through wood. It feels great, sort of similar to wood, I think it would hold chalk and absorb moisture.

A narrower diameter pair would make some good thick bar additions to a chinup bar. But in general the smaller the diameter the thinner the thickness, so it might be hard to find a 2" diameter roll which is 5mm+ thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

• Advertisement

Double overhand and strapped. Training for the Arnolds me thinks....

Advertisement