Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ardscoil Rís

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A thanks goes to anyone who can name the teacher:

"Stop foostering"
    "That's the answer cos I said so"

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Anyone remember Beamish (The teacher)!

Barely remember him, what was his real name?

ninty9er wrote: »
    A thanks goes to anyone who can name the teacher:

"Stop foostering"
    "That's the answer cos I said so"

Was it Shalloo?

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Was it Shalloo?
    Way off!

Way off!

Its wrecking my head! Can remember someone always saying it but can't remember who! Dympna?

• Advertisement

Getting closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rubber duk

Must have been Bogman, would be followed closely by "stand out there on the line boy".
    First year, first class with Bobby Byrne, he strides into class, without so much as a glance at it's occupiers, straight across to the windows, slides up the first window, pulls up a chair, pulls 20 major from his pocket, lights one up and starts to wax lyrical about the best ways to do away with a complete class of first years.
    Another time with spike, we had a table with one leg missing off it, so we placed it strategically near his desk so that he might sit on it. When he came in he spotted it and, putting the table aside up under the board says "ah the auld three legged table trick, d'ye think ye're going to catch me with that one, mmmm??". Ten minutes into class after a fairly lively session at the board, he goes and sits on the table and ends up on his arse on the floor. Bobby Byrne couldn't have stopped the laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Browney7 wrote: »
    Going absolutely mental on an expedition to the RDS for the higher options exhibition and wrecking the bus in the process

We went on the train to that a few years ago (not enough to get the bus or something). Mikey G was late for the train, was comical.

Everyone had aquired drink for the journey back, he had a tear in his eye as he said "I'm afraid I might have to report this lads...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Yep RC it was !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Oh god where to begin.

Punky: "Come out into my office"

The basement toilet being on fire and flooded every second day until they got cameras in .

Sneaking into the old mansion just to see what it was really like.

When i we had our french exchange students over( think it was 99 and i was in first year) Something was said in the area just outside the gym. But my god it was like a riot. Just crazy. The side doors into the basement were broken off their hinges atfer the French and us (their minders) went in there and about a hundred students chased them.

Shaloo hating me and torturing me for 3 years. (Stuff like if someone threw a paper aeroplane i was automatically blamed etc). Most ridiculous incident was when a Mr P Hanely 3 rows Ahead of me so literally impossible to reach threw all of his books, pencil case, everything off the table and goes "What the hell is wrong with you power". I looked up and just said "what just happened". Mr Shalloo "MR POWWWEEERRRR OUTSIDE NOW". And then a 20 minute grilling about why i did it. The reason it lasted so long was because i wouldn't give in and in the end he gave up. Its the small victories that matter.

Most hilarious Moment ever. Marie Hogans Pass maths(Got an A1, only dropped down because of that imbecile of a honours maths teacher we had) Anyone guess who she was " Lads in all honesty i don't understand half of this stuff i just learnt it all from the book, you don't need to understand it to do well in ye're leaving". I dropped down by the end of the day. Anyway back to Marie

I really did feel bad for her because she couldn't control any class. In this class there were food fights people throwing chairs (and a table) behind her back. I mean you just couldn't make this stuff up. Then she flipped turned around from writing on the board , told everyone to "shut the **** up, or ill hav you ****ing expelled". And just as she finished the sentence a paper aeroplane that had being sailing through the air hit her directly in the forehead so even though we were probably about to take her seriously after it hit her head all hell broke loose. She stormed out of the class and i think we got a bit of a berating but i don't really remember that....

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Yep RC it was !
    Nope
    only dropped down because of that imbecile of a honours maths teacher we had) Anyone guess who she was " Lads in all honesty i don't understand half of this stuff i just learnt it all from the book, you don't need to understand it to do well in ye're leaving". I dropped down by the end of the day.
    The 2 are the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The_Dave

Getting on Frank Shaloo's wick by talking about complmentary honours:p

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Anyone remember Beamish (The teacher)!

Barely remember him, what was his real name?

Beamish's name was O'Sullivan.

I remember because he once told me to "Rev up and F**k Off" on a school tour to a football match in England. He may not have been entirely sober at the time. Sound guy though.

I was in Timmy's house a couple of times. Bizarre.

Also, I met Punky in some pubs in town years after school. Very lonely guy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Met Punky in The Corner Flag on a few occasions. The man seemed to be dying for a chat. Just acknowledging the man had him "sniggering" grinning like a fool. Kind of odd how he didn't look all that different really but at the same time, years later, he just looks like a harmless old sod.

Anyone remember Wiggy the art teacher and Beaker the other art teacher? There was a great story about the 6th years hooking wiggys wig off his head one year. :D

RonMexico wrote: »
    Met Punky in The Corner Flag on a few occasions. The man seemed to be dying for a chat. Just acknowledging the man had him "sniggering" grinning like a fool. Kind of odd how he didn't look all that different really but at the same time, years later, he just looks like a harmless old sod.

Anyone remember Wiggy the art teacher and Beaker the other art teacher? There was a great story about the 6th years hooking wiggys wig off his head one year. :D
    Punky would tend to be propping up the bar in the Flag in the corner on his own, sad really. Allegedly Beaker chased some lad who shouted "Beaker" at him at Ivans

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Stuart74

I remember Maria Dollard alright. Bi%^h gave me 0% in an economics test in 6th year even though all the answers were correct. Her reason was that I did not give her the answers word for word from her notes (which she got from Beamish in the first place). My mother tore strips off her at the parent teacher meeting.

A friend of mine dated wiggy's daughter Orla.

My father went to school with Timmy in Sexton St. He said that he got a lot of sh1t thrown at him. Timmy usually ended up with his face in cow dung when they were in the brothers field for PE. Timmy's father used to be the local truant officer.

Nope

The 2 are the same person.

Nope yourself i know who was in my class and what dessie said for years to the lad, someone else agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The_Dave wrote: »
    Punky would tend to be propping up the bar in the Flag in the corner on his own, sad really. Allegedly Beaker chased some lad who shouted "Beaker" at him at Ivans

Beaker was sound enough but he could lose the plot every now and then, ivans thing would not surprise me.

Beaker was sound enough but he could lose the plot every now and then, ivans thing would not surprise me.
    I heard another story that Timmy was selling goldfish at Ivan's (Jaysus, I sound like an advert for the place)

kilburn wrote: »
    Nope yourself i know who was in my class and what dessie said for years to the lad, someone else agreed

Dessie never once uttered the word foostering...he wouldn't be able.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I did work experience in ASR for six or so months. Had Br. Jack as a boss - he drove me nuts. Had to work with that dragon Pearl Kiely - thankfully for me she was out sick for most of my time there - did not like it that I manged ok without her.

I can't believe that Bobby Byrnes died. He was nice to me but I did witness some of his tirades in the corrider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It was Reidy wasn't it?

Aaagghh foostering, its stuck in my head now, think it was Shalou, remember it being said to me and i never had Reidy.

What are you talking about i said Dessie used to call a lad in my class Mr Chung never used the word foostering, if your gonna disagree with people at least get the right person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

"Stop Foostering!!!" - That was Paula Reidy. How could I forget that?

I also remember when she would answer a question wrong on the whiteboard and blame the class, saying something along the lines of "I wouldn't have made that mistake if ye weren't foostering"

Not the best would be an understatment, couldn't teach to save her life, but I only had her for a TY module so I was able to laugh.

So many memories of Ardscoil, I don't know where to begin. Let's see:

- The Monday morning showdown with Doc & Dicey in TY '02/'03, daily diaries and work experience forms which nobody had done

- Eddie Gavin's Punky Madden impression in a free class and also standing outside 1A5 making faces at the class so somebody would laugh and Punky would go mental

- Food fights at 1.30 in the partitioned classes, desks and chairs flying about until the panic at the sound of high heels coming down the corridor

lots more, that's all I can remember right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Can't believe there is a dedicated thread for ardscoil. Good school. Probably wouldn't be in college if it wasn't for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pastpupil

Does anyone remember Gerry Keane's 24 hour table tennis marathons which came to an abrupt halt when three pupils were arrested at 2 in the morning for ringing the bells in the Holy Rosary Church bell tower.

They were very drunk on Linden Village cider. I think it was 1990.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Warning to all:
    Do not use any nicknames that could be used in a negative light

pastpupil wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Gerry Keane's 24 hour table tennis marathons which came to an abrupt halt when three pupils were arrested at 2 in the morning for ringing the bells in the Holy Rosary Church bell tower.

They were very drunk on Linden Village cider. I think it was 1990.

I was there that year and remember who rang the bells. It continued on for a few years after that. I remember because when i was in 5th year myself and a few others were asked to go to it to help run it and were promised 20 quid. Can't remember did i get the full amount but it was like trying to get blood out of a stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Anyone remember the ole 6th year riots? This would have been 94/95. The stories that came out of that, either true or untrue, were just amazing.

Gist of it was, lunchtime on that fateful day somebody u-locked the doors at either end of the corridor where the staff room was, then the word got out that the teachers were locked in and there was madness going down in the gym. I think the locked the doors of the gym as well, and thats where all the messing went on.
    People jumping off the balcony onto the blue crash mats, hanging out of the basket ball rings.. just general chaos and antics. I remember Cormac bonner ended that by climbing in through one of toilet windows. Outside of the gym, there was other crap going on, I remember Diceys car got keyed as well, for which some fella got expelled. A load of people got kicked out for that if memory serves me. Cant remember half of it now though..

I recall some savage beatings by teachers though..

Other things like:-
    - having your basketball robbed by a 6th year for them to boot it up onto the roof.
    - donie absolutely slamming face first into the ground after getting his foot caught in a hole on the pitch while running to catch lads setting off bangers,
    - Wiggies toupé getting blown off out on the yard while trying to get over to break up a fight by the gym,
    - a female exchange student getting a wedgie,
    - first year fights down by the church with the two young lads being pushed into each other until someone threw a dig,

- Paul Cafferky running his retreats and encouraging people to come to him to confess their sins
    - Hash being found down the back of a radiator during one of the famous table tennis marathons
    - Banging the radiator in Timmys class whilst roaring the russians are coming

Anyone remember the music teacher? Man alive, she was something else :D , she backed into the front of my car one night outside Quins a few years back, and we had a good ole chat and a flirt :D . Absolutely beatiful woman .

Theres loads more that happened, we should try compile a list :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement