Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Matilda the musical touring ?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

The eldest has just discovered this & wants to see the show. Anyone know if there's plans to tour it (i.e. is it coming to BGT this year) or is it something we'll have to plan to take a trip to ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You'll have to make a trip, and probably save for it as tickets for the half decent seats come close enough to €100!

It's still one of the hottest tickets in London and rightly so, it's a fantastic show. Traditionally successful shows don't tour at their peak (and often not while they're running in the West End) and it's booking for London til at least December at the moment so a tour is a few years off, I've seen mentions of a US tour but nothing mooted this direction at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

There are no plans to tour Matilda. As athtrasna said, it's still one of the hottest tickets and the only show in London I'd be prepared to pay full price for to sit in the stalls. It's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Needmockhelp

Unfortunately Matilda is booming in both the US and UK so we have no chance of it touring and coming to Ireland for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Over a year later & we finally made it. Saw the show over the weekend & It's spectacular. One of the most enjoyable musicals I've ever seen, instantly into my top three. The kids are magnificent.

If you get a chance to see this show, take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

OU812 wrote: »
    Over a year later & we finally made it. Saw the show over the weekend & It's spectacular. One of the most enjoyable musicals I've ever seen, instantly into my top three. The kids are magnificent.

If you get a chance to see this show, take it.

Did you go to London show?

I'd love to bring my daughter to see that or the Lion King..

• Advertisement

Gal44 wrote: »
    Did you go to London show?

I'd love to bring my daughter to see that or the Lion King..

Yes, went to London last summer to see it. Early flight out & late flight back. Had enough time to run around central London, do a little shopping, eat & see the show.

Have seen LK as well & would recommend this more. Tickets are expensive though & hard to get as a lot of school trips take it in during term time & kids being brought by parents out of term.

Really is spectacular though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I saw this last year at the Orpheum in San Francisco. I just happened to be walking by, saw the billboard for it, and asked about tickets. They had some available for that evening - great seats, great price. And it was an awesome show. So thoroughly enjoyable that I considered buying tickets for my family across the country for when the tour got over to them. Musically, I wasn't moved to buy the soundtrack, but it was a wonderful theatre experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I saw this last year at the Orpheum in San Francisco. I just happened to be walking by, saw the billboard for it, and asked about tickets. They had some available for that evening - great seats, great price. And it was an awesome show. So thoroughly enjoyable that I considered buying tickets for my family across the country for when the tour got over to them. Musically, I wasn't moved to buy the soundtrack, but it was a wonderful theatre experience.

The Soundtrack is well worth getting- particularly the London Cast recording

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The Soundtrack is well worth getting- particularly the London Cast recording

I just didn't find any of the songs memorable or something I would want to listen to independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

• Advertisement

Awesome. That's a definite must see (again), this time with all the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Wanted to see this, so bought tickets for the Tour next year, thing is, just listened to all the soundtrack

And Im ......underwhelmed........so much so Im kinda regretting the 4 tickets I've purchased, given that at least two of them may already be a little apprehensive of a musical where majority of the singing is kids singing loudly....

So can anyone shed any reassurance??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's fabulous, saw it in London. I've seen hundreds of musicals and it's in my top ten. The music is only part of the production, the acting is massively important in this one. Keep your tickets!

youngblood wrote: »
    Wanted to see this, so bought tickets for the Tour next year, thing is, just listened to all the soundtrack

And Im ......underwhelmed........so much so Im kinda regretting the 4 tickets I've purchased, given that at least two of them may already be a little apprehensive of a musical where majority of the singing is kids singing loudly....

You’re gonna love it. One of the best musicals out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Went to see Groundhog day in the Summer without listening to any of it and loved it, hoping Matilda will be a similar experience if Tim Minchin was involved!

Yes, I can. Never judge a musical by listening to the soundtrack before you go. The songs are relevant to the action. Matilda is way up there for enjoyment and fun. It's a few years since I saw it in London and I can't wait to see it again at the Bórd Gáis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

We saw Matilda yesterday. I utterly loved it. It was everything, funny, sad, sharp, heartwarming and so enjoyable.
    For me Ms Trunchbull stole the show.

Four years after the original post. We saw it in London and loved it. Bringing the rest of the family in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Saw it on tour recently in the Bord Gais Theatre and all of my family loved it - including ones who knew nothing about It, some who knew lots about It, and in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

For anyone who has seen the West End show, how does the touring set compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

I am looking to buy two tickets for myself and my daughter for Matilda..

anybody have 2 tickets for any day or time please PM pls......... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CanIFindOut

Looking for tickets too! any number 2-5 for any of the remainder shows. Thanks!

For anyone who has seen the West End show, how does the touring set compare?
    The sets look exactly the same but, from memory, they have made one or two slight alterations to suit a Tour show. Also, unlike the West End, there is no centre aisle action. I don't know if this is because the BGE doesn't have a centre aisle anyway or if it will be the same in all Tour theatres.

Went to see it last night and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Unfortunately the actor playing Matilda took I’ll at the interval and there was a 15-20 minute delay until they got another one to replace her.

Great show.

Advertisement