Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

insulating room in shed/garage

Options
  • 01-07-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I am looking to price up how much it would cost to insulate a room in my shed. he whole shed is about 40 foot by 15 foot, we have an internal wall spanning the width of it to make 2 rooms of it, 30 x 15 and 10 x 15, it is the 10 x 15 that I am looking to insulate.
    I'm having insulating foam pumped into the cavities in the 3 external walls. I would like the approximate price of this please. Wall 1 is 3m wide by 2.3m tall with a 1.2mx1.5m window, wall 2 is 4.75m wide, graduating from 2.3m high at one end to 2.7 high at the other, with a standard door and 1.5mx1.3m window, finally wall 3 is 3mx2.7m no gaps for windows or doors.
    I want the internal wall done either with loft wool behind sheet rock or else get the sheet rock that has the kingspan-style foam block on it. I would like the prices and effectiveness for both methods on a 4.3m wall.
    The inside of the 3 external walls is just bare concrete at the moment, I'm going to sheet rock these walls as well and again, I want to know which option I should go for, either sheet rock with loft wool behind it or sheet rock with foam block attached. Prices for both of these options are also required.
    Floor and ceiling. I'm not sure how I'd insulate the floor other than polystyrene with plywood on top and then my tile or fake wood finish on top of that? would this be the correct/best method or is there another way? for the ceiling I'm assuming that loft wool packed in over plywood and finished with sheet rock would work, but again, if there's a better way I'd love to hear it. as far as thicknesses etc I've no idea what works best, obviously more is better, but what's optimum without being overkill?
    Finally, I'm replacing the single-pane windows and wooden door with ones that would retain more heat. For the door, something that seals all the way around, well insulated etc and the windows I don't know should I go for double or triple glazed, triple is obviously better but how much better and how much extra does it cost?. I've also read a bit about insulating/thermal blinds but don't know how well they actually work or the cost for them.
    So if someone can help me with prices of each of the following components I'd be very appreciative, and if any more info or perhaps photographs of the shed in question are needed to give a more accurate recommendation or quote let me know.
    Thanks in advance
    Teddy.

Advertisement