Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demo "Don't hold back" all feedback welcome!

• 24-01-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey everyone,

Actually finished an entire song this week, verses, chorus and everything!

As with most songs I start, this is one I started along time ago, left, and completely forgot about. Was going back through some recordings of different bits a bobs and heard it again.

Recorded this demo today. Its called "Don't hold back". Have a listen and let me know what you think!

Boards wont let me post a url cause I'm a newbie.... but you can check it out at soundcloud.com/daviddrymusic/dont-hold-back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not really my type of music but you do it well. You've a good voice and it will improve with age. Good work.

Keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

That's awesome man, great lyrics, you've a wonderful tone to your voice.

What set up did you use to record it? I'm writing some stuff at the mo, just beginning really, don't have a clue yet about recording, I'm thinking of getting a Zoom H4n, would love to know what you used, pretty much the sound I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DavidDryMusic

Not really my type of music but you do it well. You've a good voice and it will improve with age. Good work.

Keep it going.

Hey Micky,

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment. Glad you liked bits of it anyway!

Lazare wrote: »
    That's awesome man, great lyrics, you've a wonderful tone to your voice.

What set up did you use to record it? I'm writing some stuff at the mo, just beginning really, don't have a clue yet about recording, I'm thinking of getting a Zoom H4n, would love to know what you used, pretty much the sound I'm after.

Hey Lazare,

Yeah, I was writing stuff for years and just recording the songs on my phone and that. Then went and bought a Zoom R16. I have a shure sm58 mic for vocals and then got a cheap small condenser mic for the guitar. Cant remember the name, but got it from Thomann.

The zoom is fairly easy to use, and I think stuff always sounds good when you play it back on the machine itself. But once you bring it into a computer its tricky to get the sound right, its too low, guitar is too high etc. So, I struggle with that a bit.

But did 'Dont hold back' with it and pretty happy with it. Hope that all helps and good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hey Micky,

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment. Glad you liked bits of it anyway!

Wha?? I like all of it :o

• Advertisement

Wha?? I like all of it :o

Hey Micky,

OK, great! Just you said it wasnt your type of thing, so glad you still enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

He David.

First of all you are blessed with that distinctive voice, so keep writing up in that range to showcase it.

The double-tracked vocals on the chorus really works well and could be a calling card in terms of developing a sound for yourself.

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism, but as I am a very lazy songwriter myself who has to be pushed to complete a thing it really is meant as light-hearted advice.

You have a sound, a nice vibe, a great voice and a good chorus. Your lyrics need work, and you could definitely push yourself more in that way as there are some lovely moments. I loved the 'gorgeous hate' and 'splinter in my mind'. Don't settle for words that come to you easily. I have been/still can be that writer, not so much lyrically but structurally.

Nice work, but push yourself more. :-)

sadie06 wrote: »
    He David.

First of all you are blessed with that distinctive voice, so keep writing up in that range to showcase it.

The double-tracked vocals on the chorus really works well and could be a calling card in terms of developing a sound for yourself.

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism, but as I am a very lazy songwriter myself who has to be pushed to complete a thing it really is meant as light-hearted advice.

You have a sound, a nice vibe, a great voice and a good chorus. Your lyrics need work, and you could definitely push yourself more in that way as there are some lovely moments. I loved the 'gorgeous hate' and 'splinter in my mind'. Don't settle for words that come to you easily. I have been/still can be that writer, not so much lyrically but structurally.

Nice work, but push yourself more. :-)

Hey Sadie,

I'll take on board your feedback. I have to say, I'm very fond of the words in this song! I spent a good bit of time working at them. Thanks very much for listening and taking the time to comment. Appreciate it!

Advertisement