Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I like this baby hat pattern Baby Hat Pattern but I'd like to use some DK wool that I already have.

Does anyone have any idea how to scale the stiches down to work with the wool and needles that I have? (Would normally use 4 or 4.5mm needles with that wool.

Thanks

Hi Kitty

The first thing you need to do is to knit a sample swatch with your yarn and needles in garter stitch (or whatever stitch you want to do the main body of the work). Make sure that you cast on enough stitches so as you can leave two stitches either side of your measurement ie you should cast on roughly 10cm of stitches plus 4. Knit for twelve rows or so then measure from the middle of the work how many stitches you knit over 10cm. You can extrapolate from this how many stitches you will need for the brim of the hat.

According to my calculations these are the brim measurements for the different sizes: (no of sts in the brim after the fancy edging divided by no of sts in 10cm)x10 you will need 27cm for 0-3months (81/30)x10; 30 1/3cm for 3-6months; or 33 2/3cm for 6-9months.

To figure out how many stitches your brim needs to be, multiply the number of sts you knit over 10cm by the number of stitches you need for the brim and divide your answer by 10. For example if you knit 15sts over 10cm and you want to knit the 0-3months size your calculation would be (15x27)/10=40.5

Most likely you will have an uneven number. What you need to do is to adjust this to make it fit in with your pattern. For the case of simplicity I would ignore the instructions in Row 7 of the edging- they're put in so that when you go to do the shaping you don't have to decrease on the cast on edge. I don't have a problem with this but if it bothers you feel free to add in a stitch- IMO they don't seem to make a whole lot of difference to the shaping of the pattern in stitches this small and will have more bearing on the shape of the garment when it is rendered in larger stitches and yarn. So if we go back to the numbers arrived at in row 3 we can see that they are multiples of four, which fits nicely in with the pattern. So get your brim stitches calculated above to fit in with multiples of four- in the above example its nice and easy- you're looking at getting to 40sts. For a pattern like this I would tend to round down only if the answer I got above was one over a multiple of four, for two or three I would round up, ie if your number above was anywhere between 40 and 41.9 round down to 40, if its anywhere between 42 and 43.9 round up to 44.

Now if you look at the cast on edge of the lace edging the pattern is in multiples of five, plus two. So what you need to do is divide your adjusted brim stitches by 4 and multiply by 5, then add 2, eg [(40/4)x5]+2 which would give you a cast on of 52sts.

So knit the lace edging as instructed but in row 7 instead of increasing or decreasing just knit. Then continue in garter stitch until you achieve the length specified in the pattern.

When it comes to shaping the top, the pattern is asking you to decrease eight sts evenly across every fourth row four times; then every second row over three times, then every row twice, before drawing the yarn through a small number of stitches to close the crown. I find it helpful to visualise this in working out how to get the proportions right. It is worth remembering that an even decrease of 8sts every second row will produce a flat disc.

So what you need to do is take the number of stitches you have been doing in garter stitch (the number of brim stitches, in the example 40sts) and divide by 8. This gives you 5. But if you were to decrease by eight five times you would end up with one stitch on your needle which when you sewed up your garment would give it a pointed top. You want a nice flat top so in this case you would stop when you had eight stitches on the needle and draw the remaining yarn through these. If your brim stitches were a multiple of four that does not divide evenly by eight what I would do is decrease four rather than eight in the last decrease row.

So in our example, we're looking at four decrease rows altogether to shape the top of the hat, as opposed to nine in the original pattern. Since you're using bigger yarn and stitches I would lose the decrease rows one after the other, it can give a warped effect to the finished product that is less noticeable in finer work. Here I would decrease every fourth row twice, then every second row twice. In the example it would look like this

(k2tog, k3) to end (32sts); k 3rows; (k2tog, k2) to end (24sts); k 1row; (k2tog, k1) to end (16sts); k 1row; (k2tog) to end (8sts). Break yarn leaving a long tail, draw through remaining 8sts, pull tight and sew together with right sides together.

Phew! Hope it works out for you!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OK I'm cracking up...finished one side of the blanket and the end is way looser/stretched than the top I've just finished. Any ideas how I could fix this?

OK I'm cracking up...finished one side of the blanket and the end is way looser/stretched than the top I've just finished. Any ideas how I could fix this?

Could cast off using a larger needle to get a looser edge if the problem is just the cast off edge, or you could try to fix the problem with wet blocking if its more of a gradual tightening of the sts.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Could cast off using a larger needle to get a looser edge if the problem is just the cast off edge, or you could try to fix the problem with wet blocking if its more of a gradual tightening of the sts.

I've already cast off and was folding it to put it away noticed a massive difference in the edges from the start to the end..there is no problem on the sides so the cast on stiches are just a lot looser :'(

I've already cast off and was folding it to put it away noticed a massive difference in the edges from the start to the end..there is no problem on the sides so the cast on stiches are just a lot looser :'(

Unpick the cast off edge and cast off again using a larger gauge needle than the one you have been using for the body of the work. This will take a bit more yarn so you might have to add in some more to finish the cast off. If this looks a bit messy and bothers you you can go around all the edges in crochet- dc for a simple neat look or something fancier if you prefer. I like picot edges on baby blankets myself but its a personal preference :)

• Advertisement

Unpick the cast off edge and cast off again using a larger gauge needle than the one you have been using for the body of the work. This will take a bit more yarn so you might have to add in some more to finish the cast off. If this looks a bit messy and bothers you you can go around all the edges in crochet- dc for a simple neat look or something fancier if you prefer. I like picot edges on baby blankets myself but its a personal preference :)

Thanks.
    It's actually a double sided blanket so it will have to be joined to another separate piece that I haven't started yet. The edging won't matter it's the fact it won't match up shape wise that is bothering me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Rosy Posy, thank you so much for that very detailed post! I will have a go at that and see how it goes. Seems complicated but I'm sure the steps you gave there will help immensely. Thanks :)

Rosy Posy, thank you so much for that very detailed post! I will have a go at that and see how it goes. Seems complicated but I'm sure the steps you gave there will help immensely. Thanks :)

It seems a lot more complicated when you break it down into the little steps. As a SAHM it's nice to get a chance to use my LC honours maths every now and then!

Ok I tried this - didn't work.

I'm going to leave it alone for a while and maybe do the other side see how that fairs out, then I'll decide if I want to rip the first piece back (all 100cms of it) and start again or if some other plan will come to mind.

Ok I tried this - didn't work.

I'm going to leave it alone for a while and maybe do the other side see how that fairs out, then I'll decide if I want to rip the first piece back (all 100cms of it) and start again or if some other plan will come to mind.

Do the stitches gradually get tighter and tighter across the work or is it just a lot smaller at the end? If its a question of your tension being off then you might be able to fix the problem with some severe wet blocking/selective felting.

Otherwise, might you have lost some stitches along the way? Maybe post a pic?

It would be so soul destroying to frog a meter of work!!

• Advertisement

Do the stitches gradually get tighter and tighter across the work or is it just a lot smaller at the end? If its a question of your tension being off then you might be able to fix the problem with some severe wet blocking/selective felting.

Otherwise, might you have lost some stitches along the way? Maybe post a pic?

It would be so soul destroying to frog a meter of work!!

The start is half a foot wider than the end...so I've no idea. I don't think I lost any stitches, it would be obvious (I hope)

I've just laid it over on itself again and this is what it looks like at the edges

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2xp44xr7ziulqd/2013-04-25%2012.53.10.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htsknryj3eywhpq/20130425_125305.jpg

The start is half a foot wider than the end...so I've no idea. I don't think I lost any stitches, it would be obvious (I hope)

I've just laid it over on itself again and this is what it looks like at the edges

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2xp44xr7ziulqd/2013-04-25%2012.53.10.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htsknryj3eywhpq/20130425_125305.jpg

It looks like you could fix it with wet blocking.

It's looks lovely!

My guess would be because its so fine and large that once the work got quite large the weight of it was pulling your tension off. If I'm knitting something that size I would always keep the end of the work in a basket or a bag on my knee rather than hanging down towards the ground. Hope this helps!

That instruction says that any yarn with acrylic in it, won't block...mine has 33% acrylic.

That instruction says that any yarn with acrylic in it, won't block...mine has 33% acrylic.

They lie! See here http://a-modicum-of-ingenuity.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/tutorial-blocking-acrylic-yarn.html?m=1

Steam blocking also works well with blends :)

They lie! See here http://a-modicum-of-ingenuity.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/tutorial-blocking-acrylic-yarn.html?m=1

Steam blocking also works well with blends :)

Thanks for that.
    I'm all pissed off at myself over this, that yarn cost a bleeding fortune (13 balls) I'd hate for it to be ruined now. I have to put it away though, I've my finals starting next week and I've spent too much time finishing that off lol

Thanks for that.
    I'm all pissed off at myself over this, that yarn cost a bleeding fortune (13 balls) I'd hate for it to be ruined now. I have to put it away though, I've my finals starting next week and I've spent too much time finishing that off lol

I loved knitting as a procrastinating device! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would say it was the weight of the blanket too stretching it.

Try washing it and drying it flat, it may reduce the difference. I would leave that blanket as it is, if its a meter square, when folded for a newborn it would be very warm if it was a double layer. PS, It looks FAB!!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I would say it was the weight of the blanket too stretching it.

Try washing it and drying it flat, it may reduce the difference. I would leave that blanket as it is, if its a meter square, when folded for a newborn it would be very warm if it was a double layer. PS, It looks FAB!!

Thanks.

They are in the states and baby is due in the autumn I've been advised by the in laws warmth is needed. Plus my bro and the wife are very outdoorsy and that child will be outside from the get go :)

I fixed it!! Wwoooo

Hung the tighter end from trouser hangers and let gravity work its magic :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I fixed it!! Wwoooo

Hung the tighter end from trouser hangers and let gravity work its magic :-D

Well done:):):). Delighted you got it sorted, it is a very beautiful blanket.

• Advertisement

cofy wrote: »
    Well done:):):). Delighted you got it sorted, it is a very beautiful blanket.

Thank you :-D not bad for my first project eh ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Thank you :-D not bad for my first project eh ??

Wow that is very impressive. Hope you enjoy your new passion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

First time knitter here and with the help of my mam we're following a pattern for a baby cardigan but a bit stuck on some instruction at the end of the sleeve. It says:

Sleeve Edging
    With ws facing (this will be the rs when the cuff is turned back), pick up and knit 41 sts along cast on edge of sleeve.
    Starting with a knit row, work two rows in st-st.
    Cast off knitways.

I get the wrong is the purl side (the sleeve starts in moss st and then swops to stocking st (st-st)). I assume along the edge means the length of the sleeve for the finishing when putting it together. What I don't get is which edge do I cast my stitches on? Or does it matter?

Any help appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

It means the the beginning edge you cast on! :)

Thank you!

Can I ask what tells you that so I'll know it when I see it again, or is it always the beginning edge you cast on?
    I assume you start up by the shoulder or should it be the cuff? 41 sts won't cover the whole sleeve edge.

Thanks again for your help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

That comes with experience! what you are doing is adding to the cuff not to the width of the sleeve.
    If you look at what you've knitted on a flat surface with the cast on edge at the bottom, what you have is cast on at the bottom, the sides will be sewn together to form a seam so the sleeve will have a cylindrical shape and the top cast off will be joined to the shoulder.

Just be careful and only sew the side seams to the point where you started shaping.

Hope that helps and that I understood what you wanted to know! :)

That helps loads! Thanks again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kazzie2

Has anyone knitted any of the skylanders gaints ,as my son loves these ive only started to learn how to knitt but he wants me to knitt him skylander figures .anybody out there have a pattern for this,thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 frillz and thrillz

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me to source some wool bought from ALDI. It is Kirkton House, it is one single thread with frills coming off it. It is GOLD in colour. A friend of mine is knitting a teddy and has run out. As it is an Aldi brand it will be on special again but maybe not till the end of the year :(

Anyone any ideas where to find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 janetsimpson

I am knitting the Aldi teddy for a friend and I have run out of the gold eyelash yarn as well (should have checked my tension before I continued I know) and I can't face taking it back .I only need the smallest amount not even 1/4 of a ball.

Advertisement