Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can not connect to the internet with O2 Hotshot.

• 01-03-2012 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I use Linux Mint 12 Distros. I am trying to connect to the internet through the O2 Hotshot but it looks like it is impossible task for me. I use HUAWEI E5832S.
    When I connect hotshot to the pc it is recognized as a Mass storage.

I tried to connect through Network connection > Mobile Broadband> Add >Choose your Provider's country > Choose your Provider >
    Select your Plan (I selected Contract because it's bill internet). I did not select any APN because did not get any option with contract and pressed Apply.
    But i did not get anywhere. Is there any catch???

Can someone give me advice how to do it, Please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

There's a program called modeswitch which sounds like what you are looking for. I haven't used it though as my laptop has an integrated 3g modem. Also, it seems to take a million parameters but I assume there are examples online.

If it's listing available networks then that probably isn't the problem (I'm assuming you're using netmanager from your description). Does it say you are registered on the network, then disconnects?

You can call O2 and ask what the apn should be. For me on the prepay 5 GB/month it's open.internet.

P.S. I hate the way those stupid dongles switch to mass storage even when there's no sd card inserted. When you consider the sophistication required to connect to a 3g network, would it have been so hard to have a look and see if there is any possible reasons to register as a mass storage device!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

humbert wrote: »
    There's a program called modeswitch which sounds like what you are looking for. I haven't used it though as my laptop has an integrated 3g modem. Also, it seems to take a million parameters but I assume there are examples online.

If it's listing available networks then that probably isn't the problem (I'm assuming you're using netmanager from your description). Does it say you are registered on the network, then disconnects?

You can call O2 and ask what the apn should be. For me on the prepay 5 GB/month it's open.internet.

P.S. I hate the way those stupid dongles switch to mass storage even when there's no sd card inserted. When you consider the sophistication required to connect to a 3g network, would it have been so hard to have a look and see if there is any possible reasons to register as a mass storage device!

After you install usb-modeswitch the 3G dongle usually switches automatically. Afaik, it's done that way so that Windows users can install the connection program from the dongle, and are good to go instead of including an easily lost CD.

OP, just type the following into a console window:
    sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch

and enter your password when prompted. After this package is installed, try connecting the the dongle to your computer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martin363

I downloaded two programs as recommended on the website: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch.

1. usb - modeswitch – 1.2.3
    2. usb - modeswitch – data 20120531

I created folder and pasted the usb – modeswitch into each separated one on the Linux Mint desktop.
    I tried to install them but when I made double click on the icon nothing happened.
    I tried to double click on each icon to make sure that I use proper icon to install it but nothing happened at all.

On the website there is written that I have to run it as root or superuser. Can someone explain me what “run it as root or superuser” means and how to do it because it might be the solution why the programs do not work.

If you find any interesting web sites about it please give me a link I would relay appreciate it because this problem bugs me quite long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

If this is a hotshot, should you not be using the wireless , as the net is coming wirelessly from the hotshot to the dongle? Dont use one myself but I use the mobile broadband tab as the net is coming directly through the dongle I have attached via usb

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martin363

human 19 my problem is that linux mint recognize my modem hotshot as the mass storage device.
    I tired to install modeswitch but i do not know how to do it. As i mentioned earlier i tried all icons but here was no response of any installation. I do not know how to run the programs as root or superuser and that might be the solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement