Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Moy Daily Reports & Updates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Zzippy wrote: »
    OK I don't know where you heard this but night fishing is certainly not illegal. It may be against fishery rules on some private or club fisheries, some places do have specified times for angling in their rules, but there is no law against fishing at night time. The best sea trout fishing is often in the dark. Ditto brown trout fishing on rivers in warm summer weather. There is also no law against the lures you mention, I've never heard of them being used here but they are certainly not illegal - again there may be local rules, such as fly-only stretches, where they would be against the rules, but on a national basis they are not illegal.
    Please familiarise yourself with the fishery laws before you post information as facts on a public forum.

Sorry for my post as i was just going on hear say. Its just i remember chatting to a water keeper once just outside foxford and we were chatting about the fishing times on the moy. If i remember correctly you can ony fish upto 10 oclock at night on the moy and i asked him why this was and he replied with "its illegal in ireland to fish for salmon after this time". I do know that you can fish for trout/sea trout after dark but always thought it was a no-no for salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Nice 8lb Salmon caught on the Moy at Oldcastle yesterday.

100_1472_01.jpg

Just noticed on mayo fisher's report's that he's been releasing a few fish with net mark's on them :mad: Havent seen to much of this myself in year's
    TBH. Would he have any picture's of them so any new fishermen know what they look like with damaged net mark's on the salmon.

Concerning these net mark's, would it be possible that these mark's happened on the other end of the atlantic ocean because if i remember correctly, it's legal to fish with net's in greenland/alaska.

yoloc wrote: »
    Just noticed on mayo fisher's report's that he's been releasing a few fish with net mark's on them :mad: Havent seen to much of this myself in year's
    TBH. Would he have any picture's of them so any new fishermen know what they look like with damaged net mark's on the salmon.

Concerning these net mark's, would it be possible that these mark's happened on the other end of the atlantic ocean because if i remember correctly, it's legal to fish with net's in greenland/alaska.

I'll ask him if he has any close up shots of the net marks and I'll post them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Alaska????

• Advertisement

Alaska????

Ok, iceland. Got mixed up with the 2 places when posting :o

1 LB Salmon caught yesterday!

100_1510_01.jpg

mayo.mick wrote: »
    1 LB Salmon caught yesterday!

100_1510_01.jpg

Looks very fresh, was there any sea lice on it

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Checking the link in the OP he says he wont be out much fishing because of the weather. Is that because theres no fish in or is it salmon dont run or even go for the bait in weather like this and just stay in the pools.

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Checking the link in the OP he says he wont be out much fishing because of the weather. Is that because theres no fish in or is it salmon dont run or even go for the bait in weather like this and just stay in the pools.

Conditions improving with all the rain lately!

Report here, http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/moy-report-2nd-august-8-am/

100_1657_01.jpg

• Advertisement

Salmon caught at "Ryans" on the Moy last monday.

photo-3_01.jpg

One caught yesterday at Oldcastle by Moyfisher.

100_1733_01.jpg

Wee question about the moy and around thsi time of year. will there be big fish returning again seeing as the grilse will have stopped or will it just be the fish already in the system that youll have a chance to catch.

Seen this on moy fishers web site and im curious to know what he means, "Rather than run the risk of it going belly up I brought it home"

yoloc wrote: »
    Wee question about the moy and around thsi time of year. will there be big fish returning again seeing as the grilse will have stopped or will it just be the fish already in the system that youll have a chance to catch.

Seen this on moy fishers web site and im curious to know what he means, "Rather than run the risk of it going belly up I brought it home"

I think what he meant by that was, he was putting him back in the river but the fish wouldn't revive, so he decided to take it home?

River Moy fishing is quiet at the moment.

100_1795_01.jpg

100_1806_01.jpg

Some Salmon starting to be caught again on EMAA.

100_1837_01.jpg

From www.moyfisher.wordpress.com

Seen a pic on moy fisher web site with a coloured salmon getting returned. Just wondering is it ok to eat one coloured like this

"Visiting German angler Michael Weisser had a day to remember on the Moy yesterday. Michael has been a regular visitor to the river but a salmon on the fly has always eluded him. Yesterday his luck changed when he landed two and lost another. Both fish were sportingly released. Well done to Michael and lets hope its the first of many."

100_1934_01.jpg
    Michael Weisser with his second fish was around 9-10lb.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/moy-report-20th-may-8-30am/

106_0053_01.jpg

Some nice sized Salmon starting to be caught on the EMAA. A lot of rain fell here this afternoon and evening!

• Advertisement

Numbers of fish being caught on EMAA is starting to rise. Conditions also improving.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/moy-report-26th-may-8-30am/

img_2133_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Have been away and only back. Was at the river up at cloongee/EM on Tuesday to Fri and not even a bite. Very unusual for this time of year. Was at pontoon and the same there. I'm wondering why it's so quiet. I'm thinking some of them poachers must be cleaning that river out up near ballina. Was even chatting to a guy who said there's a 5 mile net out in the sea somewhere, if true this is madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

was hoping to hit the cloongee stretch the end of June but this doenst sound very promising

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Have been away and only back. Was at the river up at cloongee/EM on Tuesday to Fri and not even a bite. Very unusual for this time of year. Was at pontoon and the same there. I'm wondering why it's so quiet. I'm thinking some of them poachers must be cleaning that river out up near ballina. Was even chatting to a guy who said there's a 5 mile net out in the sea somewhere, if true this is madness!!

Now is the lull between spring and grilse runs, getting later each season.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/moy-report-10th-june-8-30am/

106_0100_01.jpg
    John Buckley had this nice fresh grilse yesterday evening spinning. It was one of a number of chances John had on worm and spinner.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/moy-report-12th-june-8-30am/

106_0110_01.jpg
    Billy McGhee got his season up and running yesterday evening in Oldcastle with this nice 8lber caught on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi Mick,

I'll be going down to the EMAA waters next week, Now im only a teen Looking for my first ever salmon!!, But I've been fly fishing for 5+ years, I only have a 7 weight single hand rod at the moment, I'm just wondering how's the fishing is, could you share some information, Like the best beat, were the salmon lys are, best flies, General info!

thanks

Hi Mick,

I'll be going down to the EMAA waters next week, Now im only a teen Looking for my first ever salmon!!, But I've been fly fishing for 5+ years, I only have a 7 weight single hand rod at the moment, I'm just wondering how's the fishing is, could you share some information, Like the best beat, were the salmon lys are, best flies, General info!

thanks

Hi thefisherbuy,

MoyFisher is the man to ask! He's an expert on all the pools and beats on the EMAA section of the Moy, and indeed all of the Moy. Follow his daily reports on;

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/

Leave a comment on any of his reports or contact him on the Contact Form on his site. He will answer any of your questions and gives plenty of good advice! Good luck on your fishing trip and hopefully you will catch a Salmon or 2!!

• Advertisement

River Moy very quiet at the moment with very low water levels. Will the heavy rain promised for the south of the country move up further north and bring a much needed rise in the Moy levels?

dsc_0004_01.jpg

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/

Advertisement