Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks for the replies about osteopathy :) I'll give one more session a go & see how it goes from there :)

So jealous at the amount of ye that had your babies after me & have already lost your baby weight :eek: I feel like such a chubby article but just don't get any time away from the kids to exercise :(

Completely agree, it must be the breatsfeeding as i eat the same as when i was preg.
    Even swimming is gone by the way side, 4 evenings a week i work and on the 5th i go to bed early! The other 2 are other halfs evenings off.
    Pushing the buggy with the two of them in it is the only exercise i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Well today is D-Day or S-Day if you like, gonna try J with some solids, nervous & excited at the same time, another milestone reached :-)

He has his 4 month injections on Wednesday, dreading them:-(

I have an appointment to go back into the materniity hospital where J was born next week for a developmental assessment. Has anyone else had this?? He already had his 3 month assessment at our local health centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Well today is D-Day or S-Day if you like, gonna try J with some solids, nervous & excited at the same time, another milestone reached :-)

He has his 4 month injections on Wednesday, dreading them:-(

I have an appointment to go back into the materniity hospital where J was born next week for a developmental assessment. Has anyone else had this?? He already had his 3 month assessment at our local health centre

Hope he enjoyed his grub!!!
    I started A at about 20 weeks and she wolfs down 3 meals a day now!!!! Thriving on it! Know what u mean tho... I was sorting all my photos today to get printed and got so emotional looking back over them all... She was so small!! I feel like I didn't see it at the time! She seems huge in comparison now! I can't believe the time is gone so fast, such an amazing part of life and boom... It's flown by!!! :( at least now tho I have her to cheer me up with silly tickle time and smiles!!! She's amazing at the mo! Almost 6 months and just a fab little personality!
    So broody now... We on 2nd month trying for number 2 but sure with no period back it's like we have no clue what's what!
    Loving the new routine - workin really well for us at the min, hope it keeps up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Thanks for the replies about osteopathy :) I'll give one more session a go & see how it goes from there :)

So jealous at the amount of ye that had your babies after me & have already lost your baby weight :eek: I feel like such a chubby article but just don't get any time away from the kids to exercise :(

Don't despair.. i spent 12 years on and off hating my body.. it took a fair bit of organising 4 kids and work and exercise but all it takes it the will to put yourself first for 2 or 3 hours a week.. it's not a lot but put your foot down and make it your time.. with no babies.. the sooner you do it the better you will feel..

i'm on holidays and i'm having a ball.. zorbing is amazing fun..and the zipwire feels freeing . . wind and nothing else.. not a baby wail to be heard :D:D:D makes a change to the breakfast room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Having a rough few days here :( N has gotten the Foot & Mouth Virus from the Creche :( his poor little body is covered in a blistery rash & he's not feeling himself at all.. Takes 4/5 days to recover & it just has to run it's course.. And I'm back in work today.. Only for an hour but still.. Nit back again then till the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Pushing the buggy with the two of them in it is the only exercise i get.

That can be a full workout in itself!!

I tried out Buggyfit in Waterford Saturday morning & absolutely loved it!
    It's a proper workout, I was in bits the next day! felt really good to do a proper workout for whats probably the first time in 8 years :o:D

Tigeress I'm sorry to hear poor N got such a rotten dose in his first few weeks there :( I hope he's on the mend very soon x

Cbyrd what's zorbing? is that the big balls that you run over water in? sounds like you're having a ball!

Ms2011, I hope A loves the solids! I had to increase G's bottles from 6oz to 9oz recently :eek: the child is such a guzzler! :D
    Some days he was only stretching 2 hours between feeds (during the day only thankfully!)
    I can't complain though as he's sleeping a solid 8 hours at night, only stirring when his soother falls out & going straight back to sleep when I put it back in :)

For those that have potty trained, how long did it take before your little one got the hang of it & stopped having accidents?

Back for session 2 with an osteopath, here's hoping it'll sort out his sinuses once & for all!

Well the creamy porridge is going down a treat, tomorrow is carrots :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I tried out Buggyfit in Waterford Saturday morning & absolutely loved it!
    It's a proper workout, I was in bits the next day! felt really good to do a proper workout for whats probably the first time in 8 years :o:D

Now you're just putting me to shame, my argument is, I cant get everyone out of the house that early. Right, must try harder.

Did you bring both kids?

My little man loves his grub, he' been having it for 2 weeks, he was 6 months last Friday.

Compared to my little girl who used to be doing well to have 4 spoons a day, he has 3 cubes of veggie mush and rice and loves it.

In work tomorrow for 7 days straight, not looking forward to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Oh my good god i'm wrecked :eek: did the zorbing and zipwires yesterday and today we climbed Croagh Patrick... T had B on his shoulders and i had O in the harness.. i had factor 50 on and i still got burned to a cinder... :( we were nearly 5 hours climbing up and down and then we had a picnic and then zorbing again and then back to the hotel and into the pool for an hour.. i had a lovely slice of cake cos i reckon i was in serious negative calories.. hahahaha

O is wrecked and B is just a live wire.. i don't know where he gets his energy .. although i have to say since losing the weight it's so much fun being able to do all the things i used to.
    Cap the zorbing is in a ball harnessed in and flung down the hill :D amazing fun
    the hydro-zorbing is in the ball with water and bubbles.. didn't do that one but it's hilarious fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Tigeress hope N is feeling better. Thats awful. :(

im bad on the exercising. i need the motivation:rolleyes:

i did zorbing in new zealand but i chose the ball with the water inside it so you get all wet and slippery and threw around the ball as it flys down the hill. great craic alright!!

E is is great form lately and sleeping all night in her own room. hope it continues;) and i hope our trip to England next week doesnt upset her routine too bad:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Now you're just putting me to shame, my argument is, I cant get everyone out of the house that early. Right, must try harder.

Did you bring both kids?

I couldn't sleep that morning so thought I may as well go, I could very well sleep out the next one :) I only brought my 4 month old thinking you could only bring kids that would stay in buggies.
    However there were several toddlers & older kids there too, they had a ball chasing after their mums, so I'm going to bring both kids this Saturday.

That's a long run of days on working :( hopefully they'll fly by.

Cbyrd, sounds like you deserved 2 slices of cake & the mother of all fry ups after the exercise you did :eek:I thought you were supposed to be on holidays? relaxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

gah, the heat! I think the pregnancy left me with zero tolerance for any temperatures above 15 degrees ;-( I used to HATE the freezing Irish "summer", and was pining for 35 degrees+, but now we have 25 degs and I am melting...:o

otherwise, things are grand - all those months practising situps have paid off, and E can now sit up by himself from lying on his back! ;-) Finally sleeping from 6 to 6 - it's bliss! Gonna attempt the 'move' into his own bedroom soon as well - wish us luck (any tips to make that transition go smoothly?)!

well done ladies with the weight loss - I'm still rather fat (breaking my heart, I used to be a 5'11" size 10 waif, well, not anymore :(), and time is running out to claim the "9 months on, 9 months off" excuse. Wonder what I can use as an excuse next? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Missing naps= bad.
    R developed his own little routine over time, and he usually sleeps lateish in the morning. Like, he'll wake before 8 but happily snooze beside me and feed on and off til 830 or 9, but I had to be in work at normal working hours this week (Boooo!) so had to get him up extra early. so he goes for his morning nap at all skewy times those days, and sometimes has an afternoon nap. And then is too awake to go to bed at his normal time. Or is over tired by then.
    or skips his morning nap altogether... Gah! Took him an hour to fall asleep this afternoon. My poor bub :(

*tired zombie walks away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

galah wrote: »
    gah, the heat! I think the pregnancy left me with zero tolerance for any temperatures above 15 degrees ;-( I used to HATE the freezing Irish "summer", and was pining for 35 degrees+, but now we have 25 degs and I am melting...:o

otherwise, things are grand - all those months practising situps have paid off, and E can now sit up by himself from lying on his back! ;-) Finally sleeping from 6 to 6 - it's bliss! Gonna attempt the 'move' into his own bedroom soon as well - wish us luck (any tips to make that transition go smoothly?)!

well done ladies with the weight loss - I'm still rather fat (breaking my heart, I used to be a 5'11" size 10 waif, well, not anymore :(), and time is running out to claim the "9 months on, 9 months off" excuse. Wonder what I can use as an excuse next? :D
    What worked for us was to get him used to his own room during the day several weeks before you start putting him in there at night. Let him have his naps in there during the day.

Lord.. 27 degrees in her room now and I don't know how u folk in hotter climates do it!! I have her just in a vest but she's having none of it tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Well it's been an awful rough few days here :( days of constantly screaming crying from Temps & sore skin, only Mammy will do & having N attached to my hip.. He's thankfully been a little better today :) the rash is still very much there & covering every square inch of his little body but at least it's not as angry looking today! I'm bloomin wrecked! I could prop sleep for a week! My poor little man has been through so much in the last week.. I hope today is a sign of him getting back to normal!
    Back in work tomorrow :( my OH doesn't work weekends so thankfully he's here to take care of N! Only a 4 hour day though :) it'll be weird to get out of the house for the 1st time in nearly a week though :o I'm gonna miss him so much :(

Hope everyone else is doing well! Haven't caught up on posts yet! What a cracking day today though! We even got a visit from the in-laws which was nice :) & I found out N loves cucumber lol! Random I know :p

Tigeress that sounds awful :( hope he's ok and that's u thru the worst of it!

A just fell asleep in her chair in the middle of lunch.... That's what an out of routine morning walk in the fresh air does to ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

That sounds terrible Tigeress. Poor little mite.

My little girl refuses to eat anything I cook these days. She eats her cereal, fruit and yoghurts no problem but will not eat anything I cook. I had a couple of jars of babyfood in the press as back up and she wolfed one down. I feel betrayed :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

My N is now 2 weeks old and seems to be regressing. When he feeds he's either playing with the teat or has actually forgotten how to suck. He's also constantly hungry, tried giving him a bigger feed, but nadda he just prefers feeding frequently. He's also started a habit of screaming when I stick him in his bouncer or bassinet during he day, but will sleep happily on my chest. He's sleeping fine at night, so I'm worried it might be some sort of reflux and so I'm trying some Infacol. It's worrying that nights are now easier then the days!

Got J a bumbo seat, it's brill, makes feeding him so much easier plus the expression on his face when he realised he could sit up all by himself was priceless :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Just be careful, they learn to flip themselves out of those Bumbo seats very quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

The soother fairy is on her way tonight....we were expecting her sometime soon, coz she comes when you're 3 ;)....she left a little bag with a little note and said she'd leave a little surprise for each one. He's so excited...ran around collecting all his soothers...even tried sneaking a few of his little brother's in....I'm intrigued as to how we'll get on.

What a time for N to get ill tigress! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Hope everyone is doing well

The soother fairy is on her way tonight....we were expecting her sometime soon, coz she comes when you're 3 ;)....she left a little bag with a little note and said she'd leave a little surprise for each one. He's so excited...ran around collecting all his soothers...even tried sneaking a few of his little brother's in....I'm intrigued as to how we'll get on.

What a time for N to get ill tigress! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Hope everyone is doing well

Oh my god that's such an amazing idea!!! Never heard of the soother fairy!! Oh I've so much to learn..!!!!!!
    I'm mean tho and took it off her 2 weeks ago.... I figure she's easier to argue with at 6 months!! Maybe not!!!

You're dead right Dublin lady! You can manage it better at her age....I'm not sure how we'll fare....he's still awake....been down the stairs a few times....I bet he creeps into the baby's room and swipes his :D

January wrote: »
    Just be careful, they learn to flip themselves out of those Bumbo seats very quickly!

Yeah I read the articles on that so I only use it on the floor on his play quilt ;-)

You're dead right Dublin lady! You can manage it better at her age....I'm not sure how we'll fare....he's still awake....been down the stairs a few times....I bet he creeps into the baby's room and swipes his :D

Haha - tom cruise mission impossible...I'm imagining him zip wiring into the cot!!!!!

Well we got through the first night no probs. I left a drink of water by his bed so if he woke up looking for his soother to take a sip, and that's what he did! He's chuffed with himself.

The soother fairy came and left him a silver coin for each soother! Thank goodness he only had 3 lol ....and she knocked one of his pictures off the wall!

So we've to make dad a hangover brekkie because he was out last night and then we're off to see what 6 euro can buy in smyths...not much I bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

My wife and i started our twins on apple purees today there first solids :D:D,our boy loved it he wanted more and our girl eat it better than she drinks her bottles, i hope this good start will continue...

TIgeress I hope is well on the mend now, the poor pet really got a rotten dose of it :(

Ms2011 that's great that J got on so well with his bumbo! I've tried G in it a few times, but he's not a fan!

ZX7R that's brill that the solids went down so well! makes all the difference when they take to them easy.

I had a phn appointment last week, she noticed that his head is a little flat on one side so is referring him for physiotherapy :( It would appear that he might have a tight muscle on one side of his neck that causes him to turn to one side all the time. Lying on the one side constantly is making the head flat on that side.
    I've ordered him a plagiocephaly pillow from Lilla Kudis which is developed to prevent/treat this, so I really hope it helps until he see's the physio.

I brought him to a different osteopath the day beforehand about his sinuses...such a waste of money :rolleyes:
    The first osteopath had him nice, calm & relaxed during the treatment & I seen really positive improvements immediately. She had said it might need another treatment though.
    He didn't settle at all with the other osteopath & was really upset most of the way through.

It's so frustrating getting such inconsistant results with the different health professionals I've attended about this. The poor child doesn't get a full nights sleep because his sinuses are so congested at night.
    I'm trying a humidifier in his room tonight, hopefully that will give him some relief.

Had my first ever night away since our daughter was born over 2 years ago. I missed the two of them but at the same time it was utter bliss having my first uninterrupted nights sleep in God knows how long!

Cbyrd how is the weightloss going? you must be at or near your goal now are you?

Hannibal that is a brill method for getting rid of the soother! I'll definitely be bookmarking that for when our little lady gives up her soother :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Caprilicious Our little girl also had a flat spot on her head,so we used one of the large sponges that you lie them on for there bath we cut the shape of her neck and head out of sponge and layed her on it for a few times every day and after a few weeks the shape of her head was grand,we found the sponge had a little give so our little girl didn't get up set and it was soft on her skin hope this helps:)

Advertisement