Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to service your car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

S.I.R wrote: »
    putting all the mechanics in ireland out of a job :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't think so and thats coming from one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sweet Job Vb,
    Mods this should be a sticky and only allow posts to be added to it that are similar, i.e how to change your brakes....

Mind you don't know the legalities of it, if it becomes a sticky is Boards liable for anything if somebody follows the info and makes a mess of it and destroys their car???? one for the admin team to think about..

have been doing this for years, saves a fortune...... rock on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

nice post.

try tackling suspension arms on an audi on the side of the street, not a fun job to do lol

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Thinking of going this route myself servicing my own car.

Have changed the brake pads before so am comfortable doing his kind of stuff.

My car is diesel so no spark plugs to worry about but I need to change the fuel filter. Is this easily done and does anybody have a generic procedure for doing this?

Ta....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

tm2204 wrote: »
    Thinking of going this route myself servicing my own car.

Have changed the brake pads before so am comfortable doing his kind of stuff.

My car is diesel so no spark plugs to worry about but I need to change the fuel filter. Is this easily done and does anybody have a generic procedure for doing this?

Ta....

Which car?

• Advertisement

You'll need a fuel primer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭rufio306

Plug wrote: »

depends on the car mate afaik, my old dturbo had a primer built into the system you pumped to prime it after changin the fuel filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

Great post Volvo boy - now can you do one for an E46 beemer? :D

Sorry, my cars a Peugeot 406 Coupe HDi 2003 D9 model.

:D

Sorry, my cars a Peugeot 406 Coupe HDi 2003 D9 model.

There not as easy as most. The filter is plasic located down the front of the engine, you'll need a 27mm socket for it and a 21mm for the bung. The airbox will probably have to come out. The fuel filter connections are akward aswell. What litre is it?
    This car be a hard for a noob, best leave it to the mechanics:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭conlonbmw

Nah, just fill the new filter up 1st. Most new cars will fire right away, will sound rough for a few seconds

conlonbmw wrote: »
    Nah, just fill the new filter up 1st. Most new cars will fire right away, will sound rough for a few seconds
    Its not a paper filter that you can open and fill. You need a primer.
    Sometimes if the fire they'll cut out and you'll have to use the primer.

best leave it to the mechanics:o

If you are a newbie and Plug is scaring you, then its best to have a mate with you who knows a lot more than you do when you try it.
    Its not a paper filter that you can open and fill. You need a primer.

No you dont, stop tryin to complicate it
    Sometimes if the fire they'll cut out and you'll have to use the primer.

Sometimes?, so then you are saying you do not need a primer all the time

Soon many more people will realise how easy it is to service cars.

They will realise how they have been ripped off for years by paying 200 quid for a "routine service" that has cost a garage no more than 70 quid.

They will realise how the garage makes 25% profit on parts.

They will finally understand that when you become skilled in mechanics that the 2 hour labour a garage charges actually only takes 40 mins to 1 hour to perform at home on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Volvoboy wrote: »
    No just helping people to save a few euro, ya know seeings how the whole Country is ****ed..
    Great thread VB, the thing is I have scudo 1.9D van and there is no haynes manual available for it ,I have been told the scudo's have citreon engines ! ! .Any idea of where I might find a service manual .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Mines a hdi too (C5) so if anyone is throwing a guide together, or needs images I'll be happy to help. The only bugbear I have is the fuel filter, as it's my first diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Adalyn Breezy Triathlon

Just read this....very good thread, great work VB :)

Whats the service interval for changing the fuel filter? It's not every service surely?

conlonbmw wrote: »
    If you are a newbie and Plug is scaring you, then its best to have a mate with you who knows a lot more than you do when you try it.

No you dont, stop tryin to complicate it

Sometimes?, so then you are saying you do not need a primer all the time

Soon many more people will realise how easy it is to service cars.

They will realise how they have been ripped off for years by paying 200 quid for a "routine service" that has cost a garage no more than 70 quid.

They will realise how the garage makes 25% profit on parts.

They will finally understand that when you become skilled in mechanics that the 2 hour labour a garage charges actually only takes 40 mins to 1 hour to perform at home on your own.

Its a solid filter, the paper element is built into it, you CAN'T pure diesal into it, it has to be primed...
    If he dosen't know what a primer is maybe leave it in to a garage, rather than have to call out someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's not every service surely?

Why not ?Sure they are as cheap as an oil filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭rufio306

Whats the service interval for changing the fuel filter? It's not every service surely?

as far as i know its every other service, but as said you might aswell do it while your at it and theyre cheap,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I never had any problems in doing this type of stuff before - A friend walked me through it once many years ago and I have been doing it ever since.

So, I went and got all the parts for my wife's Renault megane saloon (new model) and popped the bonnet - only to find that Renault have buried everything behind panels under and over the engine.
    I couldn't even find the air filter, oil filter or the sump-plug!

I guess I will have to get a Haynes Manual and see how to take all the damn covers off first!

Mines a hdi too (C5) so if anyone is throwing a guide together, or needs images I'll be happy to help. The only bugbear I have is the fuel filter, as it's my first diesel.

Check out: http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21532&highlight=

I got all the answers I need from here. No pressureised fuel lines or priming to worry about.

Simple. :D

There not as easy as most. The filter is plasic located down the front of the engine, you'll need a 27mm socket for it and a 21mm for the bung. The airbox will probably have to come out. The fuel filter connections are akward aswell. What litre is it?
    This car be a hard for a noob, best leave it to the mechanics:o

Totally and utterly incorrect. Nothing needs to be taken out apart from the front plastic engine cover (clips out). You screw off the fuel filter cap taking care not to break the connectors ontop and replace the filter element. No pressure & no priming. Simple. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Thanks a million tm2204.

(link requires registration)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

fair play to ye volvoboy.... just one question... is there an o ring or seal on the drain plug that has to be replaced with a new one when putting the drain plug back onto the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think that depends on the car. On my bmw there is a copper ring (crush ring as they can be known) included with the screw. When you screw the screw back in, it literally crushes the copper ring into making a tight seal. I think this is fairly standard on most cars.

It's not recommended to re-sure this ring, and one is normally included with a new oil filter.

Its a solid filter, the paper element is built into it, you CAN'T pure diesal into it, it has to be primed...
    If he dosen't know what a primer is maybe leave it in to a garage, rather than have to call out someone to do it.

PLUG

I see you like mouthing off at people that correct you,

Totally and utterly incorrect. Nothing needs to be taken out apart from the front plastic engine cover (clips out). You screw off the fuel filter cap taking care not to break the connectors ontop and replace the filter element. No pressure & no priming. Simple. :D

You went very quiet after this was posted

Just serviced my car at 56k miles & performed the following:

- Replace oil filter & oil
    - Replace air filter
    - Replace fuel filter
    - Replace pollen filter
    - Check all fluid levels
    - Check break pad wear (front need doing, did rear brakes about 6 months ago)
    - Lubricate hinges, doors, etc:

This all cost me €70 in parts (including 10W/40 semi synth oil but excluding the front pads I will need)

My question is have I missed doing anything essential?

Saved an absolute packet by doing it myself as car servicing in Ireland is still very expensive especially if you use a main dealer.

Delighted to have done my first service and will do it myself from now on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

My question is have I missed doing anything essential?

They say you should bleed the breaks and replace the break fluid every couple of years to avoid the fluid having a lower boiling point as it gets older causing breaking problems.

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    They say you should bleed the breaks and replace the break fluid every couple of years to avoid the fluid having a lower boiling point as it gets older causing breaking problems.

Just bring your car to a garage and ask for a moisture test, brake fluid is good for 4 years + now.

Advertisement