Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you do? (Nails related)

• 08-09-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I get my nails done every 3 weeks with shellac/gelish and was due to get them done again this weekend. I took the advice of a friend and went to the salon that she goes to instead of the one I usually go to. The lady she gets to do her nails wasn't there so I was given someone else.

I booked in for a full set of gels and the girl I got kept trying to tell me to get shellac instead of gels. I said no thanks, but she said she would shape one of my natural nails into the stiletto shape I was looking for and then i might change my mind and go for the shellac. I let her shape it and after said no thanks, I'm still set on getting gels.

She seemed a bit peeved that I wouldn't go for the shellac and she picked up one of her tools and started scraping the existing shellac off my nails.. whilst doing this she made 2 of my cuticles bleed from being so rough. Then she got the clippers and started cutting my nails off really fast. She got to my thumb and clipped and pulled the nail at the same time and she took and decent chunk of nail off along with the skin underneath my nail.

It started pumping blood.. Im no good with blood so felt faint and sick at the sight of it. Thankfully, my mother was with me in the nail salon and she helped me out of my chair to go outside. Just as I was leaving, the girl said 'I told you you should have gone with the shellac'. When I left I did pass out. Ive had to buy bandages, plasters, painkillers and anti-septic cream, and i'll have the added expense of having to get someone else to fix her mess on my nails.

Now, I don't know if I should bother ringing the salon today, as Im not sure what can really be achieved by this. Im not sure if I would actually go back if they offered to do it again. Or should I just assume she was inexperienced and just go to someone else.

Very sorry for the long post but what would you ladies do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Now, I don't know if I should bother ringing the salon today, as Im not sure what can really be achieved by this. Im not sure if I would actually go back if they offered to do it again. Or should I just assume she was inexperienced and just go to someone else.

Very sorry for the long post but what would you ladies do?

Ring the salon and make a complaint. If you have the time I would even go into them.
    She may be inexperienced but she's not going to learn that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

If possible go back into the salon and ask to see the manager/owner asap. Simply show this person your hands, from the sounds of it, it should be very obvious to this person that the nail technician was very careless. Definitely do not let this go, as you said your a loyal customer and for whatever reason this person did not only behave unprofessionally but injured you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Definitely make a complaint. Go to the salon in person and put your complaint in writing (just in case you forget any of the details). Bring receipts for the bandages, plasters, painkillers and anti-septic cream and ask them to reimburse you - you shouldn't have to cover these expenses. Speak to the manager or owner, not to the person who did your nails.
    I wouldn't 'assume the girl is inexperienced', I would take from your experience that she's highly unprofessional, unskilled, rude and has obvious issues with controlling her anger/frustration.
    If they offer you another treatment, why not ask for the lady your friend recommended in the first place? At least you've seen her work and have the reassurance of a personal recommendation.
    If you can't return to the salon in the next day or two, take photos of the state of your hands and present these too. Otherwise it's your word against hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Definitely report it to the owner. What she did is tantamount to assault, from the sounds of it she was purposely rough with you because you didn't succumb to what she wanted to do.Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right?' This girl obviously never learnt that, or that customers and especially repeat customers are her bread and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Agree with everything that's been posted so far. Make sure you take photos of your nails as they are now so you have proof of the damage done. You may never need to show them to anyone but better have them just in case. Keep all receipts too for any bandages/creams etc you've had to shell out for. At the very least you should be reimbursed for this.

Sounds to me like the nail tech just got thick with you because you didn't do what she wanted. Are shellac easier/quicker to do that gels, could that be the reason? Either way the way she behaved sounds highly unprofessional. She could have caused you a painful infection cutting your hands like that.

Do not let this go. Complain to the manager and if you don't get a satisfactory response go higher.

Hope you're on the mend soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

@dee_mc: in the event that they do offer to do the nails for me, Id definitely be asking for the other lady that does them, Id be terrified to let the same girl go near them again.

@bnagrrl: Yes, it takes about 45 mins to do shellac, and about 1.5 hours to do the gels. I booked in for gels though so I think she just wanted to get me in and out as quick as possible, despite the place being dead quiet.

I have taken photos of my nails, although Im afraid to take the bandage off the one thats badly cut to take a picture, and Im going to ring the salon tomorrow. I was just going to let it go, but from getting yer opinions I think the owner would be better off knowing how aggressive she was with me.

Thanks again for the replies ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think the owner would be better off knowing how aggressive she was with me.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too. Let us know how it goes, hope you get some satisfaction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I actually think the salon management have a right to know. It will do their business no good to have this girl on the staff. They need to deal with it and they probably would want to know!
    So do not hesitate to contact them and make an apppintment to see the manager, with your photos, written account of the events, and receipts. Stay pleasant and businesslike, and I hope it turns out well for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ah thats awful OP (i get gels every 3/4 weeks also, and the odd time Ive had very rough nail therapist).

Most definitely you need to say something to the salon.

That sounds more like abuse! The cheeky mare. She at least needs to know she cant get away with treating a customer like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

definately ring and make an appointment to go in and see the owner/manager to show her your hands and bring your receipts with you. I'd imagine the owner will want to know what has happened as they are likely to lose customers over this and could end up being taken down the legal route by a client.
    Disgraceful behaviour from the salon employee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

This sounds insane D:
    please tell the salon owner, they need to know what goes on when they are not there. That girl sounds like a lunatic and shouldn't be let near clients.

I spoke with the salon owner this afternoon and she was so so rude to me.. She said she knew what had happened, I asked her why the girl said 'Told you you should have gotten shellac' after she cut my thumb and she said I must be imagining things.

Im so so mad now, she's making me out to be a liar about the what happened and what the girl said, despite my mother being in the salon with me at the time and seeing and hearing exactly what happened.

Her solution to the whole situation.. I can come into the salon if I want and someone will have a look at my nails... I declined because she didn't sound one bit bothered and didn't apologise. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

You should have done this face to face and not over the phone. People are less likely to get smart when it's face to face.

I spoke with the salon owner this afternoon and she was so so rude to me.. She said she knew what had happened, I asked her why the girl said 'Told you you should have gotten shellac' after she cut my thumb and she said I must be imagining things.

Im so so mad now, she's making me out to be a liar about the what happened and what the girl said, despite my mother being in the salon with me at the time and seeing and hearing exactly what happened.

Her solution to the whole situation.. I can come into the salon if I want and someone will have a look at my nails... I declined because she didn't sound one bit bothered and didn't apologise. :confused:

Please don't let thisbe just the end of the matter. If I were you I would go back in there - choosing a quite busy time for them so that other customers will witness the reaction and also bringing someone with me to witness it. I would then ask for the manager/owner and tell them that you were not happy with how your were treated over the phone, that your distress at the consultants mistreatment of your nails was dismissed by them and that you are just not happy with how they have dealt with you in general. Make sure to say exactly what she did and I am sure (with their customers sitting there all agog) she will not brush you off. Show her the damage done to your thumb too.

I really hope they sort it out xx

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

donna35 wrote: »
    Please don't let thisbe just the end of the matter. If I were you I would go back in there - choosing a quite busy time for them so that other customers will witness the reaction and also bringing someone with me to witness it. I would then ask for the manager/owner and tell them that you were not happy with how your were treated over the phone, that your distress at the consultants mistreatment of your nails was dismissed by them and that you are just not happy with how they have dealt with you in general. Make sure to say exactly what she did and I am sure (with their customers sitting there all agog) she will not brush you off. Show her the damage done to your thumb too.

I really hope they sort it out xx

This! Holy hell I'm fuming reading how you where spoken to. :mad: As the previous poster said go back in, I'd say on a Saturday afternoon when its likely to be busy. Bring your mother too since she was with you during that previous visit and will be able to back you up. Ive found from previous bad experiences that they will try to fob you off over the phone but going in person shows that you mean business.

Going in with you mother on a busy afternoon, speaking loudly about the injuries you sustained during your previous visit is something no manager would want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Get yourself back in there OP, bring your mum with you for support and also, in case you get upset, she knows exactly what happened and can step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

She should have looked after you and made sure you were ok before you left the salon also she should have filled in an accident/incident report form, did she even mention this? I wonder if they have any health and safety procedures in place....sounds like a sham of a place, don't let them away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To be honest, are you sure it's the owner/manager that you spoke to?
    Go back into the salon, bring your mother with you if it would make you feel better. If she injured you, she should be worried about insurance. I'm not saying to sue her, but that is usually a salons main concern when something goes wrong.

Unfortunately there's not much else you can do. The beauty industry is not regulated so short of speaking to a solicitor, there's not really any recourse.

I would however leave a review on their page on ratemyarea.ie, yelp.ie and ok their Facebook page under reviews. And tell her that you're going to be writing the reviews.

Also, salons are usually busiest on Thursday and Friday evenings ;)

I work all week so once Im back in the area I'll go in, but I can't see it achieving much.

@LexieOnRale: Im positive it was the owner I spoke to. Id never sue someone but honestly, even if I did threaten it, this lady doesn't sound like she's be one bit bothered.
    And thanks for the advice, I put up pictures of my nails on their Facebook page, and mine, and customers of theirs and friends of mine have responded and are disgusted at the state I was left in.

I work all week so once Im back in the area I'll go in, but I can't see it achieving much.

@LexieOnRale: Im positive it was the owner I spoke to. Id never sue someone but honestly, even if I did threaten it, this lady doesn't sound like she's be one bit bothered.
    And thanks for the advice, I put up pictures of my nails on their Facebook page, and mine, and customers of theirs and friends of mine have responded and are disgusted at the state I was left in.

Name of salon please? Would like to go see and erm maybe comment x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Find their facebook page and make a complaint there, asking for an apology and a refund. Go to yelp, lea e a review stating exactly what happened. I've had problems like this and nothing happens til you stick it in front of their other customers, then all of a sudden their nice as pie. PM me where it was, will you?! Need to avoid!

Advertisement