Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally settled on a new build

• 29-05-2012 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

So I treated myself and spent silly money on an Asus Z77 Sabertooth and a 3750K. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with Ivy Bridge overclocking and the Corsair H80. I've heard that overclocking on air is much more difficult than on Sandybridge because of the temp ramp up being so quick. Is the H80 a good solution / any good in general. Does anyone know if you just stick another fan on a H60 have you essentially got the same thing but without the fan controls?

Just incase anyone is wondering why I spent silly money on the Asus - I think heat killed the last mobo so the thermal radar and 5 year warranty appealed. Have to admit I love the look of the thing too!

Other question - has anyone had the cahooneys to try and remove the heat spreader on a 3750K and replace the crappy thermal paste with something better?

As for all the help - Thanks to you all! And thanks for the gratz Monotype I didn't even realise I'd hit 1000 posts :)

Last question on PSUs if I may - If my PSU is fried - I decided to get a new one along with a 7950 and run with one card to reduce heat. Would something like the XFX 750w be okay with this setup, 2 SSDs and 5 Hdds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The XFX 750W is a fine PSU, although it's a bit overkill. Are you planning crossfire? You'd probably fit 3 7950s in there with a 750W PSU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What about the Coolermaster GXlite 500w if I only plan on using 1 card?

I have a fair few case fans (7 + 2 on MB) and a H80 closed loop liquid cooling system + quite a few HDDs (2 SSD and 5 HDD)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What about the Coolermaster GXlite 500w if I only plan on using 1 card?

I have a fair few case fans (7 + 2 on MB) and a H80 closed loop liquid cooling system + quite a few HDDs (2 SSD and 5 HDD)

No, stay away from the Coolmaster GX.

If it comes down to ordering from Komplett is there one you would recomomend?

I may need the PSU faster than I can get it from the other site.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/zkb_01com/29_psu/default.aspx

Thanks!

If you want to cut back on the money for the PSU, you could probably go as low as something like an XFX 550W or OCZ ZS. I think they were priced reasonably on dabs.
    I'm not sure about the recent quality of the XFX 550W; I heard they changed around a bit and dropped one of the cables or something.

If you keep your eye on scan's today only page, they often have a few good PSUs come up. Seems to be at the weekend mostly. However, with the €15 delivery and poor sterling exchange rate at the moment, you might not be getting great value.

That's an awful lot of fans. You could put it into the extreme PSU calculator to see what you get.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

• Advertisement

If it comes down to ordering from Komplett is there one you would recomomend?

I may need the PSU faster than I can get it from the other site.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/zkb_01com/29_psu/default.aspx

Thanks!

The adata ones are reasonably good, but they've gotten very expensive since their first introduction. Similar quality to some of the corsairs.

I'd go for-
    Adata/Antec/Coolermaster Silent Pro (not the others)/Corsair TXv2, TXM, GS, AX, HX. Not sure about those Thermaltakes, I'd have to read up on them.

Memoryc have a few PSUs too. Not tremendously cheap, but they have fast delivery for RAM anyway.
    http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/powersupplies.html

If you want to get it from Komplett then this one is good http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/power_supplies/20089002/corsair_builder_series_cx500_v2_500_watt/details.aspx

Free delivery too

I'm coming up on 500w without OCing using that (frankly amazing thanks!) wattage calculator would I be wise to invest in something beefier?

I'm replacing (possibly) a Coolermaster 1000w modualar PSU - I hope it hasnt gone but it may have done. Hence the rush if it has. Crazy Dutch holidays has already set me back a day on delivery!

I'm coming up on 500w without OCing using that (frankly amazing thanks!) wattage calculator would I be wise to invest in something beefier?

I'm replacing (possibly) a Coolermaster 1000w modualar PSU - I hope it hasnt gone but it may have done. Hence the rush if it has. Crazy Dutch holidays has already set me back a day on delivery!

How much did you want to spend on the PSU?

Price isnt really an issue - under a €100 if possible though.

• Advertisement

Price isnt really an issue - under a €100 if possible though.

If it was me I'd go with this http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/power_supplies/20076121/corsair_enthusiast_tx750_v2_750_watt/details.aspx
    it's a seasonic OEM

Thanks guys amazing help once again!

Only thing I think I'm not replacing is the case at this stage!

On that note... :D

If I'm forced to go with a mid tower any suggestions?

I'm using a CM Stacker 810 at the moment and cant put it on the desk as it looks like I'm trying to re-enact the opening scene of 2001: A Space Oddesy - the thing is massive!

I think I'd getting a bit paranoid about heat buts its under the dest with about 15cm clearance front and back for airflow...

Thanks guys amazing help once again!

Only thing I think I'm not replacing is the case at this stage!

On that note... :D

If I'm forced to go with a mid tower any suggestions?

I'm using a CM Stacker 810 at the moment and cant put it on the desk as it looks like I'm trying to re-enact the opening scene of 2001: A Space Oddesy - the thing is massive!

I think I'd getting a bit paranoid about heat buts its under the dest with about 15cm clearance front and back for airflow...

http://www.quietpc.com/products/pc-cases/fd-definer3
    In white becuase, it's proven to make you PC go faster:D
    As long as you don't have hot air sitting in your case you should be fine. You don't need a hurricane running through it just constant flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Advertisement