Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the best way to get into Pokemon?

• 02-05-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

title says it all really, i'd like to get into Pokemon but don't really have the patience to go soldering to replace the batteries on original Gameboy cartridges. So what's my best bet? GBA era? DS era? i'm also a little put off by the huge number of games out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

As an FYI, discussion of emulators or how to get/use them is forbidden by the charter.

If you've had any experience with Gen 2, then you could get the remakes on the DS (HeartGold or SoulSilver), those are fine games in my opinion. Alternatively you could get Black or White, which start off where you can only get the new pokémon from gen 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just get Pokemon X or Y. Latest is the series and most streamlined for newcomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Angron wrote: »
    As an FYI, discussion of emulators or how to get/use them is forbidden by the charter.

If you've had any experience with Gen 2, then you could get the remakes on the DS (HeartGold or SoulSilver), those are fine games in my opinion. Alternatively you could get Black or White, which start off where you can only get the new pokémon from gen 5.

Ah, apologies. Came direct from front page. Removing the post, though I don't see any other way to play gen 1...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

X and Y is a good option, and if you don't have a 3DS and aren't pushed on the actual 3D stuff (it's minimal in those games anyway) you could get a new 2DS cheaper than a new 3DS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If you've played the gameboy games and want to play through them again then go for heart gold/soul silver. They stay true to gold and silver but use neatly all the new features and pokemon. If you're looking for something a bit different and don't have or dont want to get a 3DS, then go for black/white. Really great entries in the series IMO. If you have a 3DS then definitely go for X or Y. Excellent games and very easy to catch up with all the new features and pokemon for someone who hasn't played a pokemon game in a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement