Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gym Reviews

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Jon wrote:
    LOL.. Spot on my friend

Colin is his name...he's a mouthy,noisy so-and so

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Money Shot wrote:
    - 2-monthly reviews of your training programme (No other gym provides this, do they ?)
    Can't tell if that was meant to be sarcastic or not but WestWood certainly offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Degsy wrote:
    Colin is his name...he's a mouthy,noisy so-and so

Thats the guy! What a head wrecker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Degsy wrote:
    Its a pity about that gym as its the only one for miles around.

Is there not still Euphoria gym in the Jamestown Industrial Estate? I was only there once to use the ring, so I didn't get a chance to check it out gym-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Sleepy wrote:
    Can't tell if that was meant to be sarcastic or not but WestWood certainly offer it.

Definitely meant to be sarcastic - I think pretty much all gyms offer something similar. A bit like saying 'unlimited workouts in the year' - shouldn't be any need to say it really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Clive wrote:
    Is there not still Euphoria gym in the Jamestown Industrial Estate? I was only there once to use the ring, so I didn't get a chance to check it out gym-wise.

Is t hata boxing/mma gym?Far as i know its been moved to baldoyle..i'm not 100% sure though.
    There's also a gym on cardiffsbridge road beside colaiste ide but it makes finglas leisure centre look like Gold's gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Hi there

Anyone know anything about this gym thats recently opened in Smithfield. They have a website which is incomplete, I sent them an e-mail enquiring about membership and got no reply!
    Also phoned a few weeks back around the 1st week in March and they guy who answered said they would be opening that week. As well as that on the website they say they are currently recruiting people to work there.

I have seen a few reviews in different magazines on it - but does anybody even know if this has opened yet? and know how much the membership costs?

groovyg wrote:
    Hi there

Anyone know anything about this gym thats recently opened in Smithfield. They have a website which is incomplete, I sent them an e-mail enquiring about membership and got no reply!
    Also phoned a few weeks back around the 1st week in March and they guy who answered said they would be opening that week. As well as that on the website they say they are currently recruiting people to work there.

I have seen a few reviews in different magazines on it - but does anybody even know if this has opened yet? and know how much the membership costs?

Doesn't look too good if you have to go onto a notice board for basic information.

All I've heard to date is that it is supposed to be quite expensive, and I thought they had actually opened up already - could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

groovyg wrote:
    Hi there

I'd say the answer's in the question, to be honest.
    Personally I'd be more inclined to give my hard-earned to someone who'd actually bother their arse replying to my email.
    *pet peeve*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Degsy wrote:
    Is t hata boxing/mma gym?Far as i know its been moved to baldoyle..i'm not 100% sure though.

SBG Northside was there with a matted area upstairs, and they've now moved out to Baldoyle alright, but as far as I knew the actual Euphoria gym was a seperate concern and was still running?

I might try to take a swing by there at some stage and see what can be seen.

• Advertisement

Has anyone a review of the new Pinnacle gym run by Mickk? Its always good to suppport our own!

On another note, joined back Westpoint on Monday, trained there Tuesday and this morning - man i missed that place :)

Jon wrote:
    Has anyone a review of the new Pinnacle gym run by Mickk? Its always good to suppport our own!

Pinnacle: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52863439#post52863439

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

Anyone been to Jackie Skelly Parkwest, anygood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

well money shot - it looks like you were right about 1 Escape being expensive - got an e-mail from this morning, maybe some of their staff read boards.

The joining fee varies its 400 for an individual and then a monthly fee of €79
    if you join as a couple its 350 per person and then you pay your monthly fee of 70 euro each per month after that. If you are a student - the joining fee is €200 plus €65 per month

It sounds and looks like a cool place but I just can't afford that price I would literally have to go every day.

groovyg wrote:
    well money shot - it looks like you were right about 1 Escape being expensive - got an e-mail from this morning, maybe some of their staff read boards.

The joining fee varies its 400 for an individual and then a monthly fee of €79
    if you join as a couple its 350 per person and then you pay your monthly fee of 70 euro each per month after that. If you are a student - the joining fee is €200 plus €65 per month

It sounds and looks like a cool place but I just can't afford that price I would literally have to go every day.

Oh my god, that is expensive. I'm sure the joining fee will relax once they find their place in the market - it usually does, and they start having 'special offers' such as join for 100 or even free membership.

It would be great if you could find somewhere cheap as an interim measure and wait until they bring there membership rates down. I wonder what kind of student could afford that ?

JayRoc wrote:

my bad:o

are there many boards people training there at the mo?

Jon wrote:
    my bad:o

are there many boards people training there at the mo?
    It was reviewed early!!!

There's a good few TT'ers up there for sure.
    About a half dozen are members including myself

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

cathald wrote:
    Anyone been to Jackie Skelly Parkwest, anygood?

Depends what you are after. If you want treadmills/bikes and don't mind lots of kids about then it's great. Fair range of machine weights there also. Busyish at night, good at mornings, during day and at weekends.

If you are in any way serious about free weights then it's pretty restricted in terms of space and equipment. It isn't particularly cheap either, and of course the usual JS we won't tell you out straight how much it is, hard sell and locking you into long contract stuff applies. Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm slightly disappointed with the new TCD gym. I guess it has slightly different needs to a commercial gym and needs to cater to college clubs more than fitness freaks but I still think the design could have been better.
    the basement holds the 6 lane 25 m pool. Should be great when it opens in a few weeks. There is a wet changing room down stairs and sauna and steamroom (worrying blue lighting!). The reception area on the ground floor has a lot of wasted space. I can't help feeling some of this should have been given over to the fitness theatre (gym to you and I) which has all the equipment from the old gym and some new stuff crammed into a smaller space. It wil be fine when things are not busy but at 7 pm yesterday it was too warm for comfort. For cardio there are threadmills, steppers, cross trainers, rowers and bike. The same machines as before (leg press, curls, push-your-arms-up thingie,....) and dumbbells. After westwood it feels like a small selection. There are mats at the far end for stretching but amazingly they are slippy and there are no mirrors anywhere in the room!
    Also on the ground floor is the spinning room. The first floor has a MA room which is good and big. there is also a dry changing room and access to the climbing wall that most of Dublin must now be familiar with from the view on Pearse street. The second floor houses the offices and treatment rooms. Above that is the main hall for 5 aside and basketball etc. This is nice. there is good seating and plenty of space.
    Other problems include limited opening hours and the feeling that people aare being screwed for membership. I'll still use it though. It's 20 m away from my office door. More details on www.tcd.ie/sport

Just to clarify, Hunnymonster, are you saying that there are no mirrors anywhere in the stretching area, or on the entire gym floor?
    'Cos if it's a case of the latter, then...:eek:

• Advertisement

no mirrors anywhere. When I asked they gym attendant didn't think they are going to install any either. Apparently the martial arts room (I'm sure it has a more appropiate title) will have them but that's a floor above the weights and I'm not sure how much general access there will be to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

There will be mirriors in the fitness centre within the next few weeks,also the main reception area was to have a juice/coffee bar but there not going ahead with this and that’s why there’s loads of extra space.
    The temp in the fitness centre is a bit hot at the moment but I was told it was going to be reduced and was reduced when I was there last night.
    When the pool opens the opening hours will be extended at the weekends but I think its fine at the moment.
    All in all I think its great, great price, great facilities….great!

That's great. Who told you mirrors will be installed? I asked the staff and they said there were no plans. I'm not quite sure how they are going to improve the temperature. All the air con appears to be over the weights area and nothing on the cardio? Another point that someone else made to me is that the water cooler and toilets are not readily accessible from the fitness theatre. Not a biggie for me but would be for sime I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

One of the duty managers informed me
    There’s units spaced out every few meters along the gym wit one big outlet over the free weights area that sucks all used air away.
    There are toilets at reception and a water fountain outside the gym turnstile.
    To be honest a lot of my fellow students are just moaning about prices and are trying to find minor details wrong with the centre to pass around the college. This place is a business and at the end of it they do have to make a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Just read a couple of reviews here about Riverside Fitness in Dublin 1. I was a member of this Gym for 3 years. When I joined,it was a bit of a kip but they said they were going to be undertaking a complete redevlopment of the place with new machines, new changing areas etc. I joined it anyway as its just around the corner from where I worked. When I left 3 years later, they were still promising they would be redevloping it.

In the interim, I had incurred two leg injuries while using their treadmills. They only had 6 treadmills and at least 2 of them would be out of order at any one time. Of the other four, two of them would have loose belts which would slip if you went over a caertain speed. It was like slipping on ice when running. If you were lucky to find a treadmill that actually worked, you weren't home free as I found out twice. On these two occasions, the machines stopped dead when I was in full stride, doing about 6 minute miles. Now you try running fast and then coming to a complete halt immediately as these machines did. I pulled my quad muscle the first time and injured my hamstring the second time it happened. The management weren't too bothered and just switched the machine off and then back on again.

As for the changing areas, they were filthy and in need of some serious power hosing. The showers were either boiling hot or freezing cold so take your pick.

You know its much easier to keep at a gym routine when its close to your home/work. I stayed there 3 years as it was handy to work but in all honesty, the place was a complete and utter kip.

You know its much easier to keep at a gym routine when its close to your home/work. I stayed there 3 years as it was handy to work but in all honesty, the place was a complete and utter kip.

I was there for a while, mainly because it was very handy at the time. I was fortunate enough not to use any threadmills - that is terrible. I just threw a few weights around for a half an hour and was on my bike home - never even showered there (I did shower though - waited until I got home after the cycle)

They had everything I needed, but they were a bit over priced for what they provided. They didn't even have an olympic bar - and the bar threatened to break at 100kg. The equipment was very old and not great, and it wouldn't surprise me if I went in today and the same equipment was there.

Even if you weren't injured, the embarressment of coming of a threadmill like that would be tough for a lot of people to cope with.

Anybody been to the New World Gym (think that's what it was called) yet ?
    Remember the place that used to be on the second floor in Talbot Street.

I believe they relocated to the Drumcondra area somewhere last year. I wonder did they bring all their old weights and machines with them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

It's called Apollo Gym now. I imagine they brought the stuff, the DB's and bars were in grand condition but some of the machines had seen better days!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Apollo's off one of the side streets on Botanic Avenue in Drumcondra.

I haven't been there, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like it's still a top class gym. I know a couple of lads wh train there and liove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

hey Guys!

ok im gonna keep this in a nutshell.....im looking to start in the gym, now i work city centre ( dublin ) so im gonna join one in the city because if i go home and sit down i know there wont be a hope in hell of me getting back up :) so..... im torn between 2 gyms to join at the moment

1) Fitness Dock
    2) Pinnacle Gym

now iv been recommended fitness dock by a friend of mine who was there and said that its a good gym, but from what i have heard you guys speak highly of this pinnacle gym, im looking to start lifting weights ( yes thats right i said "start" so im a beginner! ) has anyone tried either of these gyms? i was in total fitness but to be honest i wasnt able to stand all the musclehead's walking around looking down on people that werent up to the same size as them :D

Anyways im gettin off topic here but can anyone shed some light on both of these gyms?

thanks...

Advertisement