Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects

• 24-01-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

I put this here because I taught LC'ers would no more about this!

So I'm starting to think about my LC Subjects and I'm a bit caught on my last decision. So I'm just here to ask for your opinions, heres my choices so far:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Business Studies
    Economics/Language(Russian/Japanese)/Accounting/Biology

Im just looking for opinions on the latter choice. I've thought about Applied Maths but I'm really gone on it. Also, please no complaints about taking an extra subject! I want to do eight. :)

Thanks for any Answers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Bazinga_N wrote: »

So I'm starting to think about my LC Subjects and I'm a bit caught on my last decision. So I'm just here to ask for your opinions, heres my choices so far:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Business Studies

Im just looking for opinions on the latter choice. I've thought about Applied Maths but I'm really gone on it. Also, please no complaints about taking an extra subject! I want to do eight. :)

I would avoid lc business like the plague, everyone thinks its easy but its harshly marked every year. I'd drop business and do biology instead.

I haven't done Economics, but accounting is pretty easy to get an A1 in once you get the hang of it:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I've heard economics is very easy and biology is very doable, and accouting if you're good at it - it has ~10% A1's I think. I definitely wouldnt do Russian though unless you're a native speaker or prepared to not count it. A girl I know does it at OL just because she likes the language, but Japanese is made for beginners in 5th year and a few of my friends do it and love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I've heard economics is very easy and biology is very doable, and accouting if you're good at it - it has ~10% A1's I think. I definitely wouldnt do Russian though unless you're a native speaker or prepared to not count it. A girl I know does it at OL just because she likes the language, but Japanese is made for beginners in 5th year and a few of my friends do it and love it. :)

Oh I was under the impression Russian was supposed to start in 5th Year too! Cross that off so! :P I did German in 1st Year and enjoyed it, had to pick between French and German in 2nd Year. I choose French because I taught t was more of a challenge! :D Anyways, think it would be possible to do it again? If I get into TY then I could do the JC course then and the LC course during the LC.. Also, Would I need to talk to my school German teacher for the Orals or something or just put it down like any other exam?

Sunny!! wrote: »
    I would avoid lc business like the plague, everyone thinks its easy but its harshly marked every year. I'd drop business and do biology instead.

I haven't done Economics, but accounting is pretty easy to get an A1 in once you get the hang of it:)

Im set on Business Studies, my Business Studies teacher is SUPERB! :D She is brilliant! Been getting straight A's in Business since 1st Day of 1st Year! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but I'd say don't do any of them. You have a massive workload already with the other 7 and you might regret doing eight subjects two years from now when you're swamped with work and don't know where to begin.

• Advertisement

Oh I was under the impression Russian was supposed to start in 5th Year too! Cross that off so! :P I did German in 1st Year and enjoyed it, had to pick between French and German in 2nd Year. I choose French because I taught t was more of a challenge! :D Anyways, think it would be possible to do it again? If I get into TY then I could do the JC course then and the LC course during the LC.. Also, Would I need to talk to my school German teacher for the Orals or something or just put it down like any other exam?
    Yeah I dont see why not :) The LC German course is supposed to be a lot more demanding than French though, so I'd definitely take Japanese instead since everyone starts it for the first time in 5th year :) If you did it as an actual school subject then it'd be organised for you but if you do it outside then you'd have to tell them I think. They generally ask around to make sure they have everyone's subjects properly :)

As for business, I do it for LC and did it for JC. It is a lotttt harder than JC - theres a ton of information but thats not the problem, the marking scheme is. It's ridiculously picky and its marked on bullet points; for example a 20 mark (a) part might be 5 points @ 4 marks each or 4 points @ 5 marks each but you wont know, it sucks! It's an enjoyable subject though, I just wouldnt do it hoping for an A1 tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Business Studies

My Opinion? Economics is da bomb <3.. DO IT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Im set on Business Studies, my Business Studies teacher is SUPERB! :D She is brilliant! Been getting straight A's in Business since 1st Day of 1st Year! :P

if your looking for a B id say go ahead with it. But the chances getting an A is very slim for all of us. I had a brilliant teacher and got straight A's in my exams in school but didn't get the a in the real thing. But good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ah Here!

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do 8 subjects? I'm doing 8 now and at the start of 5th year I thought it would be fine but now I find I'm doing no work for my eighth subject (which is Applied maths and is hateful btw :p). Anyway out of those choices I would probably pick economics but then again I don't know much about the other choices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Juju Lulu

I'd advise you narrow it down to accounting and biology. I do both of these and they are my two favourite subjects. Accounting is easier and has highest percent of A's I think in the leaving cert. Biologys a good choice though cause its actually interesting and not boring like some subjects :D

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yeah I dont see why not :) The LC German course is supposed to be a lot more demanding than French though, so I'd definitely take Japanese instead since everyone starts it for the first time in 5th year :) If you did it as an actual school subject then it'd be organised for you but if you do it outside then you'd have to tell them I think. They generally ask around to make sure they have everyone's subjects properly :)

As for business, I do it for LC and did it for JC. It is a lotttt harder than JC - theres a ton of information but thats not the problem, the marking scheme is. It's ridiculously picky and its marked on bullet points; for example a 20 mark (a) part might be 5 points @ 4 marks each or 4 points @ 5 marks each but you wont know, it sucks! It's an enjoyable subject though, I just wouldnt do it hoping for an A1 tbh :P

Thanks for your help... Ya I'd being doing as an extra subject... Id be more iffy to doing Japanese as their isn't really that much help available to me.. For German their is the German teacher and Russian I had my Brother's Friend but for Japanese I don't really know anyone!

Also, the reason I'm doing an eight subject is because I want to apply for an English College through UCAS and its about Grades over their so.. Im hoping, (well Praying) for 3 As and 3 Bs.. :P But its easier said then done! :P

At least Ive a bit of time to think about my eight subject.. I dont need to start that till September so.. :P And I might even get into TY! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OBrienJoey

Accounting is great if you have a decent teacher and its very easy to get a hang off, economics is a really short course that may confuse you first time round bt after revising it all it fits together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lady365

dont mind what the others are sayin...
    been doin business for last 2 yrs and find it very easy......
    its a very easy subject if u are stuck for an answer put whatever comes into ur head....
    and there are no accounts except for a chart.....
    best of luck!!!http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

lady365 wrote: »
    its a very easy subject if u are stuck for an answer put whatever comes into ur head....

Ya, I'm completely set on doing Business... :) it's my highlight of the week.. :) also my second career choice.. :)

lady365 wrote: »
    Theres no need to tell the OP to disregard the other stuff...because its true. Its marked harshly and its full of information. Its straightforward but I wouldnt call it easy and with such a hard marking scheme, putting whatever comes into your head doesnt always cut it.

I've heard economics/accounting are actually better for college courses but business itself is no harm of course :)

Advertisement