Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Clubs In Dublin City Centre

• 02-05-2006 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any snooker clubs/halls in Dublin City Centre? Also does anyone know of anywhere/anyone that gives snooker lessons to beginners? I've been playing a few years on and off but would really like to get proper lessons on how to play fairly decent.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Ned Kellys on O Connell St is or at least was a decent enough place for a few frames,havent been there in quite some time,you could also check out the 4 provinces in Ranelagh,you can have a pint while you play,:D not sure about lessons,something like that ive never heard off,no matter how bad you are plenty of practice will ensure you'll get better,it's not as if snooker is a particulary difficult game to learn :)

PS-Oh i forgot there is some snooker club on Amiens Street as well although again ive not been there in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks jonny68. I'll check out the one on Amiens St. next week.
    Would it be common for people to go into snooker halls on their own to play? I wouldn't want just to walk in and get a table on my own and the whole place laughing at me :o If it was a common thing to do then I could go in somewhere on my lunch break and have an oul practise on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

stephen p wrote:
    Would it be common for people to go into snooker halls on their own to play? I wouldn't want just to walk in and get a table on my own and the whole place laughing at me :o If it was a common thing to do then I could go in somewhere on my lunch break and have an oul practise on my own.

Yeah ive gone playing once or twice on me own when my mate couldn't make it for one reason or other,good practice indeed..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

stephen p wrote:

People won't laugh at you. We're all nobodies. You're not going to be the centre of attention when you walk into the hall. You're just being paranoid. People won't give a sh*t about you and will be only concerned about their own game.

(Cruel to be kind, no bullsh*t answer)

I've never heard of lessons being offered at a hall. Maybe ask Jason's of Ranaleigh. I'd imagine they're the most proffessional outfit in Dublin as Ken Doherty and Fergal O'Brien play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

jonny68 wrote:
    D not sure about lessons,something like that ive never heard off,no matter how bad you are plenty of practice will ensure you'll get better,it's not as if snooker is a particulary difficult game to learn :)

Your advice strikes me as being premature. If you get the basics wrong, you will never play proper snooker. Proper snooker is very much particularly difficult. Any idiot can learn how to pot a ball, but stuff like setting the white up for the next pot is incredibly difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

People won't laugh at you. We're all nobodies. You're not going to be the centre of attention when you walk into the hall. You're just being paranoid. People won't give a sh*t about you and will be only concerned about their own game.

(Cruel to be kind, no bullsh*t answer)

Thanks very much for your honest reply. I'll be going up to the place on Amiens St. next week with a mate & I'll see then if it does be busy at lunch time & if not I'll go up on my own the odd day.

Thanks to jonny68 for your reply too!

Cheers!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kewkie

Reviving this old thread, as I am in similar situation Stephen P was when it was started. I've been practicing snooker for several years and I've recently moved to Dublin. As far as my research on this board goes, a snooker club is not a common sight anymore in this city. Has anything changed over the last few years? I cannot find anything near city center save for Nedkellys, and it's not really snooker-oriented. I'm not even in need of a club, just access to a table for solitary practice would be perfect. Any tips from regular snooker practitioners would be greatly appreciated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Try CrossGuns in phibsboro, the website is www.crossgunssnookerclub.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1 har00

is cross guns still open?
    it's been 30 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

har00 wrote: »
    is cross guns still open?
    it's been 30 years!

Yes it is i was there at Christmas for the first time. They could do with switching the heating on and the place is run down but the tables play really well and its a friendly oul place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement