Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

My experience of the n28 is getting ferries from Ringaskiddy.

What is the issue with it? It is like most things in Cork, Peak commuting time delays?

Something tells me you never saw the levels of traffic on it on an average day, there is a section of it not far from Douglas where there is not much room when 2 trucks are heading in opposite directions.

jank wrote: »
    I thought this road was funded through some EU scheme therefore its a definite go ahead? Of course the whole SRR and this scheme which feeds into it all lead to the Dunkettle bottleneck which has to be fixed before this is complete.

By the looks of it, the Dunkettle scheme is priority number 1 for Cork.

Actually you are correct, i thought there was an announcement a few months ago about this road and the one to Foynes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It should be a definate go ahead anyway.

I wonder what the cost-benefit analysis of this project revealed, and how after the cost-benefit analysis was done the project wasn't restarted immediately?

Should be #1 in the country along with Dunkettle. More important than the M20 (and the M20 is something I would be majorly grateful for as it's the primary route I travel most, have never needed to use the N28)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Paschal Donohue on the front page of the Echo again today:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/no-guarantee-on-vital-cork-road-funds/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

a mysterious 04 reg blue panel van was parked on the N28 (aka Carrs Hill) until last week, many people thought it was a speed van, was it a private sector traffic counter???

• Advertisement

Unlikely it was an unmarked speed van, they are 08 or newer to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I saw that too - might as well have been a speed van because it had the same effect of everyone braking hard even though they were already under the limit!!

moyners wrote: »
    This road needs doing regardless. A dirt track of several km, driving along and at every junction there's a no right turn sign.

It's not as if this road is too long either, the fact that it hasn't been upgraded is even worse considering it's length, and the fact that the terminus of the road is at an already-built free flow junction with the N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

These ports should not be allowed to operate independently as it only results in this competitive protectionist nonsense where they try to hold each other back which damages the country as a whole. We really need a national port authority to oversee them all and is in charge of strategic planning and investment. Port of Waterford should be developed in conjunction with a national plan to grow rail freight, seeing as it is one of the few ports here connected to the rail network. They certainly shouldn't be allowed to sabotage Port of Cork's development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Will this be HQDC? Any idea when works will commence?

Mention of a motorway order on http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/ seems to imply it will be M.

The Bloomfield interchange already being free flow is a great start for this project. Hopefully it will be M and it will one day tie into a motorway upgraded N40.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

marno21 wrote: »
    Mention of a motorway order on http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/ seems to imply it will be M.

The Bloomfield interchange already being free flow is a great start for this project. Hopefully it will be M and it will one day tie into a motorway upgraded N40.

It's time to put motorway restrictions on the N40. Absolutely no reason as it is not to.

Expect the N22 to be upgraded too once the Ovens to Macroom section is complete.

It's time to put motorway restrictions on the N40. Absolutely no reason as it is not to.

Expect the N22 to be upgraded too once the Ovens to Macroom section is complete.
    Hopefully over the next few years a road reclassification plan is drawn up and someone sensible is put in charge. The N40 should have motorway regulations regardless of the lack of hard shoulders on the Douglas flyover. The Estuary bridge on the M1 has no hard shoulders ever since it was widened to D3M. There are no longer any at grade junctions to contend with either.

A lot of upgrading to be done means some roads should be downgraded too (eg. N83, N84, N87) but that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Didn't realise they were planning an M route here, will be Irelands shortest motorway by quite some measure.

http://www.cisireland.com/project?id=831831&title=m28-cork-to-ringaskiddy-motorway-scheme

Also specifically mentions "M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy Motorway Scheme" on that page.

Could well be a stipulation of the EU funding.

With this scheme and the Dunkettle Interchange being done, the whole N40 should be designated.

In my mind, local access and at grade junctions are the only thing that hold back motorway designations. Lack of a hard shoulder in small patches should not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I assume the motorway would only be to Carrigaline? Have we any idea how much of this actual route is going to progress, will they just go to Carrigaline or will they go all the way down to Ringaskiddy? To my mind they really need to do the whole thing, they really ought to after Cork losing out with the M20.

I assume the motorway would only be to Carrigaline? Have we any idea how much of this actual route is going to progress, will they just go to Carrigaline or will they go all the way down to Ringaskiddy? To my mind they really need to do the whole thing, they really ought to after Cork losing out with the M20.

AFAIK, it is going all the way to Ringaskiddy as it is specific port funding from EU that is paying for this new road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Pretty sure it's mway to Carrigaline then 2+2 beyond.

Thanks. I'd say that will have enough capacity. Clearly a single carriageway would not be appropriate beyond Carrigaline, but HDQC/motorway is probably a bit overkill. I just hope when the tenders etc they will do the entire thing not just to Carrigaline as was suggested by sponge bob on Skyscrapercity.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'd say that will have enough capacity. Clearly a single carriageway would not be appropriate beyond Carrigaline, but HDQC/motorway is probably a bit overkill. I just hope when the tenders etc they will do the entire thing not just to Carrigaline as was suggested by sponge bob on Skyscrapercity.
    Doing it to the Shannonpark roundabout would just move the present N28 issues bulk up beyond the roundabout and have a jam through Shanbally and back onto the M28 every morning.

The entire length of the N28 at present is 11km, and also is getting subsidised by the EU. If doing a 11km scheme is such a major struggle then we may as well give up on trying for the 80km M20

True, Shannonpark to the N40 interchange really isn't that far at all (not that you'd notice most of the time due to the chronic traffic congestion this road suffers from, mind). It's just when Sponge Bob mentioned about them getting EU funding no matter how much of it was being done is what has got me worried. Of course even going that far is better than nothing, but really it should of course be a proper job and bypass Shanbally etc.

From what I've heard the original plan was motorway/dual-carriageway all the way, but since they had to change the route of the last stretch from Shanbally into Ringaskiddy because of environmental concerns about the original route closer to Loughbeg, that the last bit connected to the port will be HQ single-carriageway due to space restrictions. IMO this shouldn't be too much of a problem. Working in Ringaskiddy, I very rarely have problems with the last bit, it's once you pass the pharma plants etc. that the traffic builds.
    The new final route hasn't been decided yet though so that could all change.

http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/Route-Corridor-Ortho.pdf

http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/MCT0597PC0001aD01.pdf

Good to see this scheme is definitively planned as M, as it should be. It being motorway meant that the present junctions would need substantial reconfiguring.

Also good to see this scheme progressing as it was on the Capital Investment Plan's subject to planning list

Absolutely fantastic news. This is something I predicted / wanted all along. I've raised this issue with a number of local councillors. Not sure if it was me saying it to them or the plan all along but I feel a bit proud today that the junction is being altered just as I asked for.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93992614

This new road in conjunction with the bridge over the Moneygurney river (shown in red below) will create an alternative route south of the South Ring Road. The likes of Moneygurney and Donnybrook will now have very easy access to the M28 compared to now where the situation is a nightmare.

Glad to see they have gone for this solution. A little drawing I concocted.

2pyu6ty.png

And here is the official new junction.

54d5wn.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Map and other info on the new page I've created for this scheme on my site.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

I'm curious about the tie-in with the Bloomfield junction at the northern end. I highlighted the bit I'm on about in this image :
    366308.png

Are they proposing to build an additional fly-over over the Rochestown Road? It looks like they are, and that it would be to the west of the existing on-ramp here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its a good idea to close the slipway from Maryboro Hill onto the N28.

Although the locals mightnt be happy.

It causes a bottleneck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

crc wrote: »

Are they proposing to build an additional fly-over over the Rochestown Road? It looks like they are, and that it would be to the west of the existing on-ramp here.

Yes it looks like it will be a dedicated two lane slip road for M28 northbound to N40 westbound. The northbound merge from the Rochestown road up to the interchange looks like it will only allow a N40 westbound movement? Graphics in the leaflet are very poor, they should also publish drawings showing the layout from Carr's hill to Bloomfield, its hard to get an overall picture from the snapshots of the junctions they have provided.

Advertisement