Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pipe Smoking

Options
  • 16-12-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

After wandering into the emporium of man that is James Foxes opposite Trinity, myself and a few of the boys have recently taken up pipe smoking.

Tis a fine and noble hobby. I have never smoked ciggarettes, although I used to puff away on a cigar at special occasions. But I must say it is thoroughly enjoyable and as I recently discovered a great talking point with the girlies, 24 and smoking a pipe must make me appear more sophisticated?!;)

Any other pipe smokers out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

In truth I'd rather be seen as having a healthy pair of lungs even if the trade off is appearing less sophisticated that one who smokes a pipe.

That said, there's something a tad awesome about somebody who smokes a pipe. My grandad did it and it just fascinated me. The aroma from Condor tobacco was certainly the nicest of any tobacco product I have ever smelled and way better than cigarettes. The only aroma nicer than it is marajuana IMO but they do all have that "I'm in your throat, stinging it and giving you cancer" experience so it's not like I purposely breath it all in :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you don't inhale pipe smoke, so your lungs will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

No inhaling so its just your tongue that will get it!

Yeah its all about the aroma. Petersons have an Xmas mix that smells of cinamon and vanilla!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Well consider me schooled :) It still isn't for me though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My uncle smokes apipe. It looks quite cool. Wouldn't be for me though. I only ever smoke the occasional big cigar on a very special occasion. It's the flavour I like.That said, pipes usually smell pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I use to love the smell of the smoke from my uncles pipe when I was a young lad. He use to visit to Norn Iron every christmas so when ever I get the scent of a pipe these days it reminds me of christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yayyyyy pipe! Perfect for those occasions when I don't have enough time to enjoy a cigar.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

for a minute there, I thought this thread was about oral sex!!!!!!

did you ever hear anybody saying "I wonder does she smoke the pipe?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

My Grandfather smoked a pipe most of his adult life and died outta lung cancer.

I don't think 'your lungs will be fine' if you smoke a pipe.

That being said everything in strict moderation aye boys, still wouldn't mind smoking a pipe myself once in a blue moon if it got me a bit more pooty tang.

In fairness I know people who have never drank / smoked in their life and ended up with throat cancer! But obviously any form of smoking will heighthen chances which is not good! But one could say a lesser of two evils.

Your aslo not going to be smoking a "20 a day" amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Sophisiticated? Tbh if I saw a 24 year old smoking a pipe Id just think he was a douchebag..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Swiss Tony knows what woman like. They like fine wines, Belgian chocolates, Hello magazine and the manly smell of a pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Swiss Tony knows what woman like. They like fine wines, Belgian chocolates, Hello magazine and the manly smell of a pipe.

Oh yeah we sure do!!!

Maybe its because im 30 year old single white female...but no I would never find this attractive. Then again, maybe 24 year old women like it?? Unless alot change between 1980 and 1986 I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Posing is wrong kids.

PK2008 wrote: »
    Sophisiticated? Tbh if I saw a 24 year old smoking a pipe Id just think he was a douchebag..

Theres an age minimum on smoking pipes?:confused: If I came across someone using the word "douchebag" I'd think he was an Americanized fool....different strokes I suppose

I've heard people say the same thing about wearing "paddy hats" or brown shoes. Yet both are now "in fashion".

Its something I picked up on a whim and is now actually something I enjoy smoking..granted the off shoot of which being that it is unusual and most definitely a conversation starter. But then again so are obvious tatoos or clothing that strays out of the mainstream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Throat cancer: natures way of getting rid of posers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

illicit007 wrote: »
    My Grandfather smoked a pipe most of his adult life and died outta lung cancer.

I don't think 'your lungs will be fine' if you smoke a pipe.
    Some people who smoked pipes inhaled, some people didn't.

=-=

For pipe smokers who don't inhale, tell your dentist that you smoke the pipe, as they can check your gums and tongue for early signs of gum cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Oh yeah we sure do!!!

Maybe its because im 30 year old single white female...but no I would never find this attractive. Then again, maybe 24 year old women like it?? Unless alot change between 1980 and 1986 I beg to differ.

What? I thought Swiss Tony knows all!

Never smoked a pipe yet but I had decided that if I'm still smoking when I go completely bald I'd change over to a pipe. What tobacco are you smoking in it OP?

Dimitri wrote: »
    Never smoked a pipe yet but I had decided that if I'm still smoking when I go completely bald I'd change over to a pipe. What tobacco are you smoking in it OP?
    Goto a shop such as Petersons, and say you smoke X, and they'll recommend Y. I smoke Golden Virginia rollies, and was suggested Mellow Virginia.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

the_syco wrote: »
    Goto a shop such as Petersons, and say you smoke X, and they'll recommend Y. I smoke Golden Virginia rollies, and was suggested Mellow Virginia.

Interesting, as a Golden Virginia smoker myself along with the odd box of Silk Cut Blue and the very very odd box of JPB's (reminds me of being young and knackerish) that could be a good place to start.

What's the etiquette with regards pipe smoking and drinking, I enjoy nothing more then a half decent black coffee with a rollie and I know brandy and cigars are a duo as old as the hills but what would you have with a pipe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

You are only entitled to smoke a pipe if you have footed turf, cycled to Croke Park the night before All-Ireland from Connemara and you can remember when Dev was Taoiseach.
    Only tough wise old-timers can smoke pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I'd think he was an Americanized fool

*ahem*

Petersons / Foxes are a good place to start! Pipe after pints for me, never really drank whilst actually smoking! So not sure of the brandy + cigar equivalent. They do say to soak a good pipe in whiskey before you light her up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

OldGoat wrote: »
    Yayyyyy pipe! Perfect for those occasions when I don't have enough time to enjoy a cigar.
    This is my main problem with cigars. I smoke marlbro red, maybe 5 or 7 a day. 10 if I am drinking.
    I usually have a couple of cuban or nicaraguan cigars in my man-bag (cringe at the word but I dont know how else to call it).
    Nothing better than sitting back for an hour and a half and smoking a nice cigar with a drink and some friends. I love smoking on hot evenings, but really theres no point lighting up if you have any less than 30 mins, and I hate re-lighting a half burnt cigar from hours before.

Pipes, are alright. I feel that I am too young to pull it off though. Im 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You want one of these bad boys:

6669.1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I know a woman who smokes a pipe at home. She is around 40 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Alrighty, been looking at getting into this myself, always loved the smell, and do enjoy a good cigar on occasions.

Don't get to Dublin much though, based in Waterford, does anyone know of anywhere around that supplies pipes and pipe tobacco? Also, does anyone have a preference for a particular type of pipe and why or what is good to start with?

Pipes, are alright. I feel that I am too young to pull it off though. Im 27.
    My mates say I pull it off quite well :D How smoked a few times in Fibbers. Helps me chill :)
    Also, does anyone have a preference for a particular type of pipe and why or what is good to start with?
    A cheap one :P Should be able to get "2nd pipe" in Petersons - basically a pipe with defects. And I'm talking about really small defects. I had to have the one pointed out to me for the one I got. You can't put it into your mouth before buying it, though, obviously, but get one that you think you'll be comfortable with. No point getting one that you wouldn't be seen dead smoking, as you won't use it. There is usually a decent selection, for between €30 and €60. I think there was a mark somewhere on the one I bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GaillimhGuy1

Wouldnt mind giving it a go myself although never once smoked a cigarette. Would this be foolish so?

anyone know of a place in Galway to buy a pipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

so I ended up going for a little spin with Fajitas! today to dublin, took a gander at Peterson, James Fox's and that cigar place on grafton street too.

There was a 20 percent sale on in Peterson so instead of getting a "2nd pipe" which is what I planned to do like OP, they recommended i get a normal new pipe because it worked out the same price as what a 2nd would be without the discount.

pic to follow when i get a mo!

Advertisement