Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

TO. wrote: »
    Watch him build an All purpose stadium and have the Jags and Fulham ground share.

Was thinking the same, no coincidence it was a London team he bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Seems faintly ridculous that he'd be looking at London when LA has no team but this is American sports and the world of nomadic teams. Who knows. I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Syferus wrote: »
    Seems faintly ridculous that he'd be looking at London when LA has no team but this is American sports and the world of nomadic teams. Who knows. I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet.

Who has their hopes up though other than Jags fans and maybe those who have no allegiance to any one NFL team. As for the idea in itself to move to London it is more believable for the Jags to bounce to London than it is to LA. Lets not forget the Rams are in turmoil with the City of St Louis over their home base also.

The biggest problem with LA is the same problem the Rams are in hot water with St Louis though. It will take a lot of private money to upgrade any of the unused stadiums to get them ready for a franchise. The coliseum needs a lot of work and the City of Los Angeles don't seem to want to spend either. If the Jags or the Rams move to LA they will have to pony up for most of the cost and lets face it NFL teams are used to the Cities helping them out with the cost.

But getting back to the Jags Khan seems like the type of owner who will jump on the London bandwagon even more now he owns Fulham. Anything to make the Jags popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

NFL players acting like gangsters again!! Will they ever learn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

taidghbaby wrote: »
    NFL players acting like gangsters again!! Will they ever learn!!

Peyton Manning & ??????

• Advertisement

jj1 wrote: »
    Peyton Manning & ??????

Peyton and Eli I do believe. Probably doing another ad or promo. Their stuff is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Peyton and Eli I do believe. Probably doing another ad or promo. Their stuff is hilarious.

That would have been my guess but wasn't sure with the face he was pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Here's an interesting graph I came across, which details the amount of arrests per team since 2000.

4RFRct.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Good find corv pretty crazy that my eagles are doing "well" with "only" 12 arrests supprised the vikes are so bad

nerd69 wrote: »
    Good find corv pretty crazy that my eagles are doing "well" with "only" 12 arrests supprised the vikes are so bad

There's quite a few surprises on that list alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

surprised gb has that man, Is that just arrests or does it include charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Not surprised at all that the Bengals are top. Giants showing nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pete Roussel ‏@coachingsearch 25m
    Heard an amazing stat while at the Manning camp. Over last 5 years, 49% of NFL games have come down to 1 possession.

Mental statistic that!

Arawn wrote: »
    surprised gb has that man, Is that just arrests or does it include charges?

It's just an arrest chart.

Paully D wrote: »
    Pete Roussel ‏@coachingsearch 25m
    Heard an amazing stat while at the Manning camp. Over last 5 years, 49% of NFL games have come down to 1 possession.

Mental statistic that!

And doesn't that just show us all, why there is no other sport that even comes close in terms of drama and excitement. Not that we didn't know that allready of course.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No love for the fullbacks? :(

Best in the league Vonta Leach still a free agent. Cut due to a 4.3 million cap hit

I hope the Ravens bring him back!
    He'll definitely be playing somewhere in 2013, not sure where though.

I've seen Miami and Tennessee mentioned on forums.
    New England too

Posted before but sure it's worth posting again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Speaking of fullbacks the Steelers Will Johnson was a nice story

Came to West Virginia as a wide reciever and later become a back.

Wasn't invited to the combine, went undrafted and got zero offers in 2011.

Spent the next year working out constantly to build himself up. Working three jobs and then training every day.

He attended the 2012 West Virginia pro day. Pretty much his last shot.

Caught the attention of Mike Tomlin who gave him a shot and he won a roster spot.

Anything is possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Who has their hopes up though other than Jags fans and maybe those who have no allegiance to any one NFL team. As for the idea in itself to move to London it is more believable for the Jags to bounce to London than it is to LA. Lets not forget the Rams are in turmoil with the City of St Louis over their home base also.

The biggest problem with LA is the same problem the Rams are in hot water with St Louis though. It will take a lot of private money to upgrade any of the unused stadiums to get them ready for a franchise. The coliseum needs a lot of work and the City of Los Angeles don't seem to want to spend either. If the Jags or the Rams move to LA they will have to pony up for most of the cost and lets face it NFL teams are used to the Cities helping them out with the cost.

But getting back to the Jags Khan seems like the type of owner who will jump on the London bandwagon even more now he owns Fulham. Anything to make the Jags popular.

San Antonio would certainly have to come into the reckoning if a team is looking to move city. Big/expanding market, huge demand for an NFL team and they also have an NFL ready stadium in the AlamoDome.

Chargers are another team that could find themselves on the move.

TaosHum wrote: »
    San Antonio would certainly have to come into the reckoning if a team is looking to move city. Big/expanding market, huge demand for an NFL team and they also have an NFL ready stadium in the AlamoDome.

San Antonio has come up a few times now but not a lot. I think London and LA over shadow other possible cities. LA for obvious reasons and London due to the NFL international series and the Jags. One of the issues with San Antonio that i read before is that the Rams would feel more at home staying where they are or moving to LA as they have history in both LA and St Louis. The Jags many feel will stay in Jacksonville or move to London. But again with Khan who knows what he does.
    Chargers are another team that could find themselves on the move.

Most Chargers fans and beat writers seem confident that the Chargers will get something done to stay in San Diego but you are right there is many who believe that they will have to up sticks and leave if they can't get a deal done on the stadium. Of the 3 teams the Chergers would be in a better position to move to San Antonio I feel even if it loses them many thousands of loyal Californian fans. But San Antonio would most likely see full stadiums week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 danthedolphin

I often wonder how practical would it be for a London based team? Flying from London to New York alone, is about 1,000 miles further than say flying New York to LA. And if a London based team was doing 6 road games a season, then that has got to be a huge disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Home games would be a bigger problem than away games for a London team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

San Antonio has come up a few times now but not a lot. I think London and LA over shadow other possible cities. LA for obvious reasons and London due to the NFL international series and the Jags. One of the issues with San Antonio that i read before is that the Rams would feel more at home staying where they are or moving to LA as they have history in both LA and St Louis. The Jags many feel will stay in Jacksonville or move to London. But again with Khan who knows what he does.

Logical arguments for both going to LA and London respectively. If any team does decide to move, then you would figure that the NFL will be pushing hugely for them to go to LA. I know people make the argument that they had their opportunity with the Rams and Raiders, but the NFL is far more marketable than it was 15-20 years ago.

I agree Khan is probably feeling out London at the moment with regards to a move. With the multiple home games, buying of Fulham and poor attendances in Jacksonville, he is clearly researching the market with regards to a potential move.

But if London was to get a franchise, then I think the Jaguars would be the wrong choice. Currently, the Jags don't have any serious appeal. The team has struggled for the past number of seasons, is only in existence for less than 20 years and is failing in its current market. Out of all the teams in the NFL, the Jags would arguably have the smallest fan base in Great Britain, so you would be hoping that the games popularity expands at such a rate that the Jags could cash in on the growth so they they would be picking up new supporters in the thousands each year they arrive to play in London.

I hope I'm wrong and the Jags can have successful future in London if the move ever occurred, I just can't see it happening.
    Most Chargers fans and beat writers seem confident that the Chargers will get something done to stay in San Diego but you are right there is many who believe that they will have to up sticks and leave if they can't get a deal done on the stadium. Of the 3 teams the Chergers would be in a better position to move to San Antonio I feel even if it loses them many thousands of loyal Californian fans. But San Antonio would most likely see full stadiums week in week out.

I think the Chargers in San Antonio would actually be a nice fit. In saying that, I think the NFL could plop any team in San Antonio and it would still be a success. Out of either London or LA, its the safer market due to Texas' love of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I often wonder how practical would it be for a London based team? Flying from London to New York alone, is about 1,000 miles further than say flying New York to LA. And if a London based team was doing 6 road games a season, then that has got to be a huge disadvantage.

It's not practical. If it happened, how would they deal with the play offs? Say San Diego/San Francisco are 2nd seeds, the London franchise 3rd seeds, they win their Wildcard game and then must have a 6 day turnaround and fly for over 12 hours, and deal with the 8 hour time difference :confused:

It'd be even worse if London were the 2nd seeds and a West Coast team was a third seed.

I think a London team would bomb badly. There's not enough home interest for a full stadium every week. Tax problems/Players not wanting to move country/jetlag/broadcast time differences etc. The list goes on, it would kill a franchise to move to London.
    This is a really good article on the subject, involves the creation of a couple of new teams also.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

If the first team isn't in Germany no more will follow. Germany love the game and would fill a stadium every week

I think a London team would bomb badly. There's not enough home interest for a full stadium every week. Tax problems/Players not wanting to move country/jetlag/broadcast time differences etc. The list goes on, it would kill a franchise to move to London.
    This is a really good article on the subject, involves the creation of a couple of new teams also.
    Link

Interesting article there and it's the only way I could ever see a London based team becoming a possibility. The bigest NFL fan bases in the UK are the Pats, the Dolphins and the 49er's. The Packers, Giants, Bears, Eagles and Redskins follow with a similar level of support. So in an expanded league will the NFL be shipping some of these guys over every year? Because I think it would be the only way of getting the crowds establised. Especially if they do go with a 36 team NFL and a new London team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

^ ^ ^

6z4qM7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Think I may have seen this in here already but there was a stat on twitter yesterday that said JJ Watt had 69 tackles in the run game last year for a total of 11 yards gained! Ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

HigginsJ wrote: »

I think I just suffered a cardiac arrest by just looking at that sandwich

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement