Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2nd KFC for Newbridge Drive Thru

• 15-12-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Just looking through Kildare planning lists and came across one for a new drive thru restaurant beside McDonalds. I did a company check on 'Herbel Eastern Ireland Limited' and they hold franchise for KFC in Ireland. So would you welcome it or oppose this?
    Still at planning stage on not yet granted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Damien360

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Just looking through Kildare planning lists and came across one for a new drive thru restaurant beside McDonalds. I did a company check on 'Herbel Eastern Ireland Limited' and they hold franchise for KFC in Ireland. So would you welcome it or oppose this?
    Still at planning stage on not yet granted.

Where would it go ? On the green behind McD's ? One of the houses going towards Finlays (that is a big parcel of land) ? Or Langton cross where Lidl/Aldi tried to get PP ? What was application date ?

Found it online application 12965. EP Mooney site beside it but entrance will be to rear of McD's entrance. 7th of December application.

[URL="[IMG]http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy316/Damien360_bucket/kfc_zpsa2dfbc37.jpg[/IMG]"]kfc_zpsa2dfbc37.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Damien360 wrote: »
    Found it online application 12965. EP Mooney site beside it but entrance will be to rear of McD's entrance. 7th of December application.

kfc_zpsa2dfbc37.jpg

Seen that alright. That building has been vacant I think for more time than it has been occupied. The renders of the proposed building look quite good compared to what's there at present. I think it would definitely bring a more long term presence on that site. However, I think it will have a tough time getting through the planning process. With traffic in that area already at breaking point, it will be hard to see KCC granting permission. Residents of the nearby estate and houses are also more than likely to object to proposed entrance/ exit to the site onto the Protestant Church Road (Can't think of its actual name). All in all, would like to see it get permission but doubt it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I doubt if there will be much of a problem as its already traffic controlled. A previous use had hot food for takeaway and cafe (applegreen). It will also move on the gangs of kids that hang around there and leave large amounts of rubbish behind them.

sandin wrote: »
    I doubt if there will be much of a problem as its already traffic controlled. A previous use had hot food for takeaway and cafe (applegreen). It will also move on the gangs of kids that hang around there and leave large amounts of rubbish behind them.

Kids my ass. I pass them most nights walking the dog. 15/16 year olds who should no better than egging cars going through the drive-thru.

The exit for this new development is on the opposite side to McD, out on to road with no traffic control, the pharmacy and Canty opticians. If instead it exited to same set of lights as McD then I cannot see an issue as there are no residents on that side.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    Kids my ass. I pass them most nights walking the dog. 15/16 year olds who should no better than egging cars going through the drive-thru.

The exit for this new development is on the opposite side to McD, out on to road with no traffic control, the pharmacy and Canty opticians. If instead it exited to same set of lights as McD then I cannot see an issue as there are no residents on that side.

Looks like and additional exit that will also be used for McD customers.

Whilst the planning is in the name of the KFC franchise, the works will more than likely be undertaken by the owner of the buildings who will ask mcD for a contribution to the new exit.

Looks like and additional exit that will also be used for McD customers.

Whilst the planning is in the name of the KFC franchise, the works will more than likely be undertaken by the owner of the buildings who will ask mcD for a contribution to the new exit.

Entrance on tesco side and exit the other side by Canty's ????

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

This will make me happy.:) I love KFC but I just cant stand going through a crowded shopping center to get to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Excellent , more jobs for the area !

Not so good for the waistline of the area I may also add

• Advertisement

work started on it last week too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭ando

Nearly built. I live pretty close to the site myself. Gotta love the noises coming from the site waking me up early on a Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I like the design it has an internal Drive-Thru and its pretty big also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

JeffK88 wrote: »
    I like the design it has an internal Drive-Thru and its pretty big also
    This might be silly but I hope they have the mother of all extraction systems in there. 2 or 3 cars sitting waiting for food would put out a lot of petrol/diesel fumes which could head for the food area.

I'm sure the planners have thought of all of that and I'm just being paranoid.

ken wrote: »
    This might be silly but I hope they have the mother of all extraction systems in there. 2 or 3 cars sitting waiting for food would put out a lot of petrol/diesel fumes which could head for the food area.

I'm sure the planners have thought of all of that and I'm just being paranoid.

maybe have a look at it before commenting? the drive-through goes through an opened corner of the building - like a bridge. Don't think the covered area is even the size of a car.
    Their outlet in clondalkin however is a "drive-through" of the actual building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

maybe have a look at it before commenting? the drive-through goes through an opened corner of the building - like a bridge. Don't think the covered area is even the size of a car.
    Their outlet in clondalkin however is a "drive-through" of the actual building.
    I said it might be silly. I've never seen their place in Clondalkin or any 'internal drive-thru'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Was in yesterday. The set up they have where you order on one side and then go to the other side to collect was grand yesterday because it was quiet enough but when it's packed I imagine it would be a pain in the hole to queue twice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All the new KFCs have that, it actually works out fine really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

MYOB wrote: »
    All the new KFCs have that, it actually works out fine really.

Agreed, the one in Blanch SC which is always busy has that and it works fine. The queues seem to be more orderly that way. You're not really queuing a second time - just waiting for your completed order to be announced. (kind of like Argos!)

One thing I'd say about KFCs is that the emit a distinctive smell that other fast food outlets do not. (Hillbillys - another chicken chain also gives off that smell) not an unpleasant smell per se but I wouldn't like to be living near one and enduring it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

ongarboy wrote: »
    One thing I'd say about KFCs is that the emit a distinctive smell that other fast food outlets do not. (Hillbillys - another chicken chain also gives off that smell) not an unpleasant smell per se but I wouldn't like to be living near one and enduring it all the time.

Deliberate use of smells is now common place around the world. McDonalds was once a pioneer in this type of psychology of customers. Bakeries in supermarkets are common place near the entrance to try and make you hungry after smelling the just baked bread smell.;) you buy more when you shop on an empty stomach.

The only place where you won't find a fresh smell in Tesco (for example) is the fruit and vegetable aisle - none of the produce is fresh enough to smell :eek:

But don't take my word for it, just go to a fruit & veg shop and compare smells. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

HonalD wrote: »
    Deliberate use of smells is now common place around the world. McDonalds was once a pioneer in this type of psychology of customers. Bakeries in supermarkets are common place near the entrance to try and make you hungry after smelling the just baked bread smell.;) you buy more when you shop on an empty stomach.

I wouldn't call the KFC / fried chicken external smell particularly nice/attractive to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

If it smells like chicken keep on ..............

Advertisement