Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

1325326327328329331»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Recently I introduced my Teenage kids to the Sunday Matinee.When I was a kid my father was a big John Wayne fan and the family would all sit around after Sunday dinner and watch a movie together.The kids asked me to pick out some old movies as they have seen everything recent.Son normally watches horror/action movies and Daughter is into musicals/chick flicks.
    So last week we watched The searchers.My son (14) gave it 7/10,my daughter (13) gave it 9/10.
    This week we watched El Dorado,9/10 for my son,and 9/10 for my daughter.

I was surprised that they sat through them TBH ,and they both asked to watch another old movie next Sunday .Said they love the characters?.Don't know how long I will get away with the western theme ,as it's not something they would normally watch,but so far so good.Next week its The man that shot liberty Valance.
    This will introduce them to Jimmy Stewart.

Picked up a nine dvd John Wayne set for €23 in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Finally got around to watching the Coen Brothers' The Ladykillers.

A few laughs, but it's definitely their weakest film. Tom Hanks is awful in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

The Avengers, good enough towards the end but not as good as I thought it was going to be, I think im just getting bored of comic book/super hero type films. Bit long aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

a Serbian film.
    the director and all associated with the film should be arrested then executed. a god awful film for so many reasons. don't watch it just don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Happy Ever Afters" (2009) RTE 1 this evening as part of their "Ireland on Screen" season. Having watched shed loads of Irish movies I have rarely seen anything quite this bad. Badly directed sludge with a cast of nobodys. Despite being shot in my old hometown I could find nothing to redeem it - comedy my hole! 0/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Raoul

Lol at the guy that watched the serbian film, why do that to yourself? I have never seen it but heard so many bad reviews.

Seen the expendables 2 in the cinema last night. A lot better than the first one. Took me a while to get past the cringe but in the end it doesnt take itself in anyway serious and makes purposely bad jokes and along with the action, i enjoyed it.

Then came home and saw that the boxer was on tv so watched that. Dd lewis is really such a fine actor, extremely charasmatic and really makes the movie. Enjoyable flick about an ex IRA man who is out of prison amd trying to set up a not sectarian gym and box and deal with the cease fire. Lots of other stuff happening too. Good movie.

Last but not least after seeing Jean Claude Van Damme in the expendables, I decided to watch JCVD which i had read positive reviews about. I must say it is an excellent movie. Jcvd plays himself, caught up in a post office robbery. Lots of truthes here about his actual life and career. One long monologue mentioning various problems such as drug addiction, pretty moving stuff and make jcvd seem an extremly alluring. Really recommend this movie not just to anyone that is a fan of his but it is definitely a very good watch for a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmmm, let's see how badly I'm judged on the last 2 movies I watched.
    Jonah Hex - Fan of the comics since pre New 52 relaunch, so wanted to watch the movie. More supernatural elements than the comics, and hard to understand at times. Jonah's more light hearted in the movie. Though think this is the first movie that I thought Megan Fox is actually good looking.
    Spy Kids 4 - Ummm, yeah. I'll admit to liking the original trilogy, for the most part. But the new kids are no Juni and Carmen Cortez. Also one thing the original trilogy had that I liked were a lot of famous actors and actresses(Steve Buscemi, Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, George Clooney) just seemingly enjoying themselves. This has Jessica Alba and Jeremy Piven

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Redbelt Really enjoyed it, love Mamet and love Chiwetel Ejiofor ("This is a good death...an honourable death.")

• Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Way Back
    Not a bad movie for a small cast, steered clear of this in the past because of Farrel but he actually played a good part and his character added a bit of humor to the film.

I saw The Devil
    This was a bit laughable at times and was far to long, 150 minutes or so of subtitle is just wrong. The film itself had a good story and plenty of blood but I wouldn't recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

A Mighty Wind - very enjoyable. Christopher Guest is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The Expendables 2 - brilliant.

The Hunger Games - meh. Battle Royale for twilight fans.

The Dictator - better than I thought! Pity his accent kept dipping into rasta type.

The Raid - amazing.

Ted - very enjoyable. I like Seths stuff tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

'Warrior' - Watched it again for the 5th time last night. God damn I love this movie.

'Ahab, you godless son of a b1tch!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Thirty Nine Steps (1978) enjoyable old school yarn probably the most watchable version of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Charlie19 wrote: »
    150 minutes or so of subtitle is just wrong
    Try Love Exposure. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

e_e wrote: »
    Try Love Exposure. :pac:

237 minutes :eek: Think ill give that a miss.
    Tsotsi and Oldboy are next on the foreign movie list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

Some movies I saw while sick over the weekend:

Twixt – Horror movie by Francis Ford Coppla and starring Val Kilmer and Bruce Dern. I had high hopes for this as it the bit of the trailer I saw suggested it might be a hidden gem. Sadly it was really convoluted and I couldn’t believe this was directed by Coppola. Val Kilmer made the most of a trite character but what a waste of time.

Taken – Watched this again. Great film in the vein of 80’s action films (basically action films that took themselves completely seriously but just kicked ass).

The Running Man – One of Arnie’s 80’s flicks that I hadn’t ever seen. Extremely silly but entertaining, more funny than anything else. Reminded me of The Hunger Games, but better.

Lars And The Real Girl – Wow. Didn’t know what to expect but this blew me away. Such a good movie. Great performances all round particularly Ryan Gosling and Emily Mortimer. Can see some people calling this daft but I bought into every bit of it. The kind of film that makes you want to see more films like it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Redbelt Really enjoyed it, love Mamet and love Chiwetel Ejiofor ("This is a good death...an honourable death.")

Great film, deserves a lot more recognition. I love how it manages to be a proper human drama yet still maintains the basic plot of a standard martial arts film.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    I saw The Devil
    This was a bit laughable at times and was far to long, 150 minutes or so of subtitle is just wrong. The film itself had a good story and plenty of blood but I wouldn't recommend.

Are you saying foreign movies should have a time limit imposed on them or something? :pac: Thought that was a great movie myself, the running time flew by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

kaimera wrote: »
    The Hunger Games - meh. Battle Royale for twilight fans.
    it isnt though,thats doing a disservice to what is actually a really good book/film.like i was the same way before i actually read the book and they are fairly different.also battle royale the film is overrated,the book is good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Full Metal Jacket

Brilliantly brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭8mv

"Happy Ever Afters" (2009) RTE 1 this evening as part of their "Ireland on Screen" season. Having watched shed loads of Irish movies I have rarely seen anything quite this bad. Badly directed sludge with a cast of nobodys. Despite being shot in my old hometown I could find nothing to redeem it - comedy my hole! 0/10

Watched a few minutes of it at it looked poor indeed. It shouldn't put you off Sally Hawkins though - she is usually excellent. Check out Happy Go Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

EnterNow wrote: »
    Full Metal Jacket

Brilliantly brilliant

I adore the first 45 minutes of that film. Every scene on the island is great but the rest of the film is a bit meh until it picks up again at the end.

Its a very good film but I always feel a little disappointed by it just because it could have been SO good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I adore the first 45 minutes of that film. Every scene on the island is great but the rest of the film is a bit meh until it picks up again at the end.

Its a very good film but I always feel a little disappointed by it just because it could have been SO good.

Admittedly the boot camp acts are better than the actual warfare scenes. It does lull somewhat when the get to Vietnam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Likewise, first bit is awesome, kinda just turn off after that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As this has almost reached the 10,000 post limit imposed by the higher-ups of www.boards.ie, this thread is officially locked. We bid you farewell, sweet prince.

The party continues here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056732038

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement