Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RC sailing class

• 25-08-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

for those of you who are interested in sailing you may or may not know about model boats - not to be mistaken for toy RC boats. These are RC boats that sail like full size ones and we have our own appendix of the RRS - see appendix E.

There are a number of RC classes but in Ireland the most popular is the IOM or International One Metre. As per its name the boats are 1m in length, we are allowed 3 rigs to sail in all wind conditions and 2 channels (one for the rudder and one for the sails) the European champs will be in Lake Garda in Italy later in September and we'll have one of our skipper flying the Irish flag there.

The other class is the RG65 (65cm long) with their own class rules.

And the new class just launched is the A-Class which is probably the oldest RC sailing class (from the mid 1920) and probably the biggest with boats approaching 2m in length and the mast over 2.5m high.

Want to know more about these classes?
    www.iomireland.org for the IOM class
    www.aclassireland.org for the A class

Enjoy and look forward to see you among us.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I like the A class boats :) are these built from kits to a certain spec or do you buy them ready made or build your own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wow, this brings back memories!

I still have a Tony Abel Mandarin I built a long time ago, can't fit the rig into the car any more though!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Slaacer

WOW glad to see there is some interest as we're rather a small group of passionate - here, with another few up North with whom we have an excellent relationship. Without mentioning the Scottish fleet with whom we also have an equally excellent relationship.

Yes it is an old class and I know these used to sail on the Belfast waterworks in the mid 20's but not sure they were sailed here. Suspect they could have been but I have no proof to date.

For now as we are just starting the fleet we are buying them second hand from the English and Scottish guys - generally complete but we put in our Tx / Rx.

On the IOM front we have acquired a mould of a model and have started to build some test hulls for the association.

you can check http://www.pjsails.co.uk/ for the boat and rigging.

For now I am the only one in the republic on the A class and with my mate from NI we're going to the UK next weekend for a regatta there and to pick up my boat. I'll be starting at the deep end ! racing my new boat at a regatta in a class I never sailed in before but hey that's gonna be great fun. And then we'll bring my boat back. Check the class website as I'll write an article on my return.

Any more question please shout !

Steve wrote: »
    Wow, this brings back memories!

I still have a Tony Abel Mandarin I built a long time ago, can't fit the rig into the car any more though!

Yes the Mandarin was a great boat in its days - I remember restoring one for a young kid to join us a few years back. they are great beginners' boats.

The IOM has evolved so much since as you can see from the site.

The IOM class is a great class and 3 of us kept it alive when the RC sailing in Ireland was about to disapeared and now we have 5 of us in Dublin, a small fleet in the Cork region and up North too with strong relationship with the Scottish fleet. We have a growing calendar of events with the next biggest one coming up this Autumn up North with skippers from Scotland, England and may be France joining us for the first time... fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is also a Models forum that it might be worth posting in to drum up interest http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=486.

Post some photos of your boat when you get her :)

• Advertisement

Thank you fergal for the link I will defo check - And yes will post pictures and video if I take one.

here is a video of A class race in the UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzKVHY9WBMo

and another one recently from AUS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqUfAs6nXbM&index=1&list=PLFhcC6xyEqkZsJmUHoQf_wkzUKuJr-LF3

PS the boat that sunk was later recovered by a diver to the delight of the owner.

These are the 2 countries we know of where the A class is still active. Now Ireland will be the 3rd country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi Slaacer,
    I have often thought about trying to get RC racing going in my club but I think the IOM is a bit expensive for a starter boat. Is there a boat that is suitable for racing that can be bought in kit form for €250 to €400? Or is there a basic version of an IOM that we could buy?
    I know a few people who would be interested if the price was right. I saw a Pro Boar Regazza 1 Metre recently that looked okay and would probably fit the bill.
    Alternatively, is there a fairly simple plan that can be followed to build a hull and buy a kit with all the gear to fit it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Advertisement