Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Cooker Thai Curry Help

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for a little advice on a Thai Green Curry i'm giving a try...

What i'm thinking is

Pork 250g
    Onion 85g
    Peppers 100g
    Green Beans 220g
    Bamboo Shoots 220g

Coconut Milk 200ml
    Curry Paste 110g

Going to through them into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, i'm just wondering would i need to maybe through in a can of tomatoes to bulk it up a bit, also was thinking of just leaving the peppers out until the very last bit and just throw them into with maybe 30 minutes left?

this is my first thai curry in the slow cooker so help is greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be honest, Thai curries really deserve to be made fresh, which makes the most of the ginger & lime & coriander flavour boosters. The veg should be al dente & if you slow cook the ingredients given the veg will have turned to mush after six hours. Also, I personally wouldn't use tomatoes in a Thai curry.

Maybe consider making an Indian-style curry with coconut milk in your slow cooker instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

To be honest, Thai curries really deserve to be made fresh, which makes the most of the ginger & lime & coriander flavour boosters. The veg should be al dente & if you slow cook the ingredients given the veg will have turned to mush after six hours. Also, I personally wouldn't use tomatoes in a Thai curry.

Maybe consider making an Indian-style curry with coconut milk in your slow cooker instead?

could you suggest a potential indian style curry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

There are a few curry recipes knocking about the slow cooker recipes thread :)

I'd tend to agree with the Hill Billy that a green curry won't be that delicious coming out of a slow cooker (because I have accidentally cooked the living daylights out of one in the past and it was mushy and bland as bland can be. ) but having said that there is a Thai Green Curry recipe on the thread as well as a couple of chicken curries and a massaman curry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78204106#post78204106
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79589663&postcount=212
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79910038&postcount=241

Beertons put together a really handy directory of all the slow cooker recipes that could be worth a gawk at

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I've been making a slow cooker chicken jalfrezi lately
    It's not too bad
    I don't know too much about cooking though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd echo the comments above. Fresh, and letting it sit is better than cooking it for hours.
    Theres a lot of veg there that will give off a lot of moisture in a slow cook. Watery curry = no thanks

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd echo the comments above. Fresh, and letting it sit is better than cooking it for hours.
    Theres a lot of veg there that will give off a lot of moisture in a slow cook. Watery curry = no thanks

But if i were to just put the pork, coconut milk, paste into the cooker and add the veg for maybe half hour at the end?

Its just i'd like to try it with pork, and slow cooked pork is the only way to have it, melt in your mouth good

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But if i were to just put the pork, coconut milk, paste into the cooker and add the veg for maybe half hour at the end?

Its just i'd like to try it with pork, and slow cooked pork is the only way to have it, melt in your mouth good

You still might over cook the freshess of the curry. Depends in the paste tbh. And the coconut too I suppose.

What pork are you using?
    Pork shoulder, pork belly, pulled pork. All perfect slow cooked.

Pork chops, like leather.

Mellor wrote: »
    You still might over cook the freshess of the curry. Depends in the paste tbh. And the coconut too I suppose.

What pork are you using?
    Pork shoulder, pork belly, pulled pork. All perfect slow cooked.

Pork chops, like leather.

It's pork loin, I use it in slow cooking and it's so so good, melt in mouth. The coconut milk is like 77% coconut. The paste is some one from Tesco green curry paste I'd use about half the jar 110g

Advertisement