Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which router is better?

• 12-08-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, just switched broadband service and they sent me a new router.
    I'm looking to see which is better,
    New one - Huawei HG658c
    Or
    Old one - Belkin Surf N300

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As far as I can see they are two different devices. The Huawei is an ADSL2 modem the Belkin a router.

Your incoming connection will be to the Huawei. If you want to keep the setup you have on the Belkin then turn off DHCP on the Huawei and connect a lan port on the Huawei to the wan port on the Belkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

The Huawei HG658c is a fiber ready router (VDSL2), the Belkin is not. Vodafone lock it down so much that it is pretty useless except for the most basic user. Eircom likewise lock down their F1000 Fiber router, a ZyXel VMG8324-B10A. Both fiber units are capable of far greater functionality than Eircom and Vodafone want you to have, VOIP is just one example.

The Eircom box is far better imo featuring 5xGigabyte ethernet ports and excellent VDSL sync rates. I also get 300Mb wifi links. These are sold UNLOCKED on adverts.ie and are well worth it for the high sync rate, more megabytes per second makes a big difference to us gamers but your milage may differ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

I should mention that you can UNLOCK your Eircom F1000 and flash the latest firmware yourself. It requires some time and effort but you will gain the full functionality of the device. Take care not to brick your router!

I cannot post the link as I am a new user here. Google "Unbranding the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A"

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

...Google "Unbranding the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A"

Hello,

thank you for mentioning this. I researched and published the unbranding method for the Eircom F1000 on Kitz a few months ago and I sell the unbranded F1000 on Adverts.

Apart from unlocking VOIP and the like, the key gain is the new 039 Broadcom PHY. Many users on Kitz report very significant increases in Downstream Rate. In one case, on an 1.1km long line to the DSLAM when the PHY alone was changed, sync rates went from:
    Max: Upstream rate = 2749 Kbps, Downstream rate = 33412 Kbps

to
    Max: Upstream rate = 2754 Kbps, Downstream rate = 44708 Kbps

I cannot post the links here, but you can find lots of detail on the Broadband Hardware pages of Kitz.

That's 33% EXTRA download sync rate. Irish ISPs have no interest, quite the opposite imo, in providing consumers with better sync rates - they would have to offer better contracted rates and provide more backbone bandwidth.

I can tell you for a fact that O2, Vodafone, Eircom all use the older PHY and lock down their modem/routers to prevent you from enjoying the full capabilities of those devices. When consumers move on to a new ISP, their old router usually ends up in the garbage.

As the unbranding process requires tools, skill, time, etc that most people do not have, I will unbrand your F1000 for €20 plus postage. See my ad "Unbrand your Eircom F1000 Fiber Broadband" on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Creat

Thanks for the reply.

I'm having a bit of an issue with it, specifically the range for my laptop

I connected my laptop to the new modem
    Huawei HG658c
    But if I go anywhere else but the room where it is, it drops connection
    connection.

With the old one
    Belkin Surf N300
    I could go anywhere, even outside into the garden.

Any ideas?
    Probably stupid question, but can you connect the Belkin to the new net connection so the signal is boosted?

Really weird thing is I don't have same issue with my phone connected
    connected.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

@Creat, I know nothing about the Belkin.

The default wireless settings of the HG658c are correct for here. You might try changing the county to Bolivia (where permitted wifi power is higher than Ireland). Also the position and orientation of the Router will have an impact on reception. Other than that, talk to your ISP (Vodafone).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Creat

Thanks for the advice, I'll try anything.

Advertisement