Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I have Wifi but something is interfering.. Help

Options
  • 11-07-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have a Dell desk top running Windows xp and I have wifi which is connecting to the pc via a wifi USB stick but something in the pc is blocking wifi for my web browser. I have full wifi to the USB stick. Just not pick up on the web browse. Can you help? Thank you Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

First thing I would do is open a command prompt and run 'ipconfig' also ping google.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Kavpdsl wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Dell desk top running Windows xp and I have wifi which is connecting to the pc via a wifi USB stick but something in the pc is blocking wifi for my web browser. I have full wifi to the USB stick. Just not pick up on the web browse. Can you help? Thank you Paul

Check your network settings in browser. Make sure automatic DNS is set.

You could try a different browser too.

Check Firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kavpdsl

I do open ipconfig and ran a ping and all works thanks TKO

snaps I have tried 2 other browsers but the did not work either, will look at the DNS thanks

Eircom my provider thinks it is within windows XP something is blocking it to the browsers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Kavpdsl wrote: »
    I do open ipconfig and ran a ping and all works thanks TKO

snaps I have tried 2 other browsers but the did not work either, will look at the DNS thanks

Eircom my provider thinks it is within windows XP something is blocking it to the browsers

Is this a new problem?

maybe the router is wireless-n but the laptop is using an older version like wireless -g.

If you have win XP service pack 3 you should have the option for n/g/b in the adapter settings.

Also confirm the channel setting on both router / laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Are other internet based things working? Have you tried a ping to google.com?

I had a similar problem with an old XP laptop, on my home network all worked well, but at another hotspot it wouldn't.

In Firefox for example, Go to Options, Settings, Advanced, Network, Connection settings and make sure "Auto detect proxy settings" is selected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried temporarily turning off your firewall - often updates can play havoc with settings.

Advertisement