Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Rosslare to France sets off the Friday, back the Wednesday. Almost a full week. I wonder could you get one way with them on the Friday and come back with another company a few days earlier? (wine trip for wedding)
    Or are the one way trips more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Rosslare to France sets off the Friday, back the Wednesday. Almost a full week. I wonder could you get one way with them on the Friday and come back with another company a few days earlier? (wine trip for wedding)
    Or are the one way trips more expensive?

Irish Ferries is €150 Each way, but €256 return (For example) In March.

So maybe they're cheaper return, but there doesn't seem to be a massive amount in it.

There's 3 companies now (By my counting), maybe 4.
    Irish Ferries, LDLines, and Celtic Link. All new with the exception of Irish Ferries which now or soon also leaves from and returns to Dublin.

So, you'd probably get it cheap enough, or close enough to a return price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Whats the deal with the 4 berth cabin? Is that space for 4 people, so do I need to book 1 of these for 2 people, or 2?
    And will I be sharing with 2 other people?

Sorry not used to the ferries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

as we've never been on a holiday to France, is this a good enough deal to book now and do the research / book the actual holiday after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Anyone else been playing spot the difference?
    I couldn't help myself. :D
    But I've only found one physical difference so far.

eEzjL3r.png

• Advertisement

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Anyone else been playing spot the difference?
    I couldn't help myself. :D
    But I've only found one physical difference so far.

You are Cráp at this game.
    I haven't even been trying an i found more.
    284469.jpg
    Ship is different colour
    Ship has different advert/writing
    water is different colour
    ship is at different angle
    background is different
    flag on ship is different

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Someone has a lot of time on their hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8
    So looking for tips of where to go to stay around there. normally, we book a house of some description, but could be open to some of the campsites. Prices coming back are steep though, like €1200 a week. Is that normal for the first week in August?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Allyall wrote: »
    Irish Ferries is €150 Each way, but €256 return (For example) In March.

So maybe they're cheaper return, but there doesn't seem to be a massive amount in it.

There's 3 companies now (By my counting), maybe 4.
    Irish Ferries, LDLines, and Celtic Link. All new with the exception of Irish Ferries which now or soon also leaves from and returns to Dublin.

So, you'd probably get it cheap enough, or close enough to a return price.

Your correct with 4, Brittany Ferries operate from Cork, April to November every Saturday afternoon (4pm), arrive in Roscoff early (7am) Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Big thanks to the OP. I've just booked a trip to France for my friend's wedding in June. Sailing Friday June 20th and returning Wednesday July 2nd. €250 for the trip including an inside cabin both ways. Irish Ferries looking for the more than €600 last time I checked.

Will be my first time going anywhere by boat and have never been to France so I'm looking forward to it.

We're arriving on Saturday June 21st and have to be in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne on Monday June 23rd so need to decide what to do for those two nights. Then we leave there on Thursday June 26th and have to be back in Saint Nazaire for the night of Wednesday July 2nd so have to figure out what we do for that week. Any suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    ablelocks wrote: »
    as we've never been on a holiday to France, is this a good enough deal to book now and do the research / book the actual holiday after?

Yes, but it depends on when you want to go. In France high season is July and super high in August. Outside of those months there is plenty to book and it is very flexible. In the high season depending on what you want (house/tent/mobile home) most bookings will be sat to sat. Given the sailing is Fri -to Wed you may have trouble getting the extra days. It all depends on what you want.

Personally, I have a young family (3 under 10) and we do not have problem, as we stay two weeks in a home and the half week doing something else, camping, touring etc.

If you are looking for a family holiday, beach, sun and the rest with a young family try http://www.saint-jean-de-monts.com/ it is two hours south from the ferry in France. If you do not have kids then do not even hesitate, a car and a tent will see you happy out.

Finally given it is still 2013 you have plenty of time to sort out accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

€309 for 4 of us return with outside cabin compared to €837 with inside cabin Irish ferries return to Roscoff

It's a fantastic launch deal. I'd be going to Spain myself but always wanted to do it slowly and drive through France and Spain over 2 to 3 nights. Thanks OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Just booked three weeks for van + 5 + outside cabin and one seat.

Was originally getting a quote of £349, clicked through from this page and got it for £319.50. http://ldlines.co.uk/offers/saint-nazaire-rosslare

Just the cabins on IF were costing that last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Do you have to pay in full to book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

what's the difference between 4 berth cabin (outside) and a 4 birth inside cabin?
    Looking to book with a young family. Thanks OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Outside cabin will have a porthole - little window - inside won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

It's a much better destination for anyone going south. Less miles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very true, St Jean de Monts is only about 1hr 15min from there as against around 4hrs 15 from Roscoff.

The departure/arrival/journey time aren't very appealing, but the price certainly is.

gally74 wrote: »
    It's a much better destination for anyone going south. Less miles

3+ hours extra on ferry vs 1 and a half hours more in car/camper van to Montpellier.

August 1
    3+ hours extra on ferry vs 1 and a half hours more in car/camper van to Montpellier.

and €500.00 extra (or not) in your pocket!

• Advertisement

Wally Runs wrote: »
    and €500.00 extra (or not) in your pocket!

Yeeikkes. :p

I was looking at March, where prices are the same. (Give or take €5)- I didn't realise the price difference can go that high.

No matter which way you look at it, it's brilliant. It will provide much needed Competition, as will the one that was advertised on boards until ..today? I can't find it anymore..

EDIT
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I should've read all the posts, i thought i had... (Obviously not)
    Eight Ball wrote: »
    Christ that's cheap. I'm coming in at 285 euro for 2 adults and two kids + cabin for the end of June returning middle of July. What gives here?

Irish ferries looking for 1150 for same dates.

Very close to St Gilles Croix de ville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    Hoping not to go to off topic. Anyone know any good keycamp style places round there for a holiday?

August 1
    Hoping not to go to off topic. Anyone know any good keycamp style places round there for a holiday?

The area known as the Vendee (south of St, Nazaire) is awash with such camps. Keycamp and most of the others do not have exclusive camps but lease areas within the larger sites and of course provide the 'keycamp' package, kids club etc. If you find a keycamp you like the look of you can in the main book direct with the camp-site. The same can be said of north of the port and Brittany, it just that sunshine is some how more abundant in the Vendee! Also have a look at http://alanrogers.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

ALWAYS book campsites direct, NEVER go with Keycamp etc. Save hundreds.

Dr. Nick wrote: »

I'd agree here as well. St Gilles is a nice town to start.

Great spot OP by the way. Not going to France this year, family have had enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Dr. Nick wrote: »

Usually higher standard too and much much cleaner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

August 1
    Nice one, OP, just booked for 10 days in July/August, 357.38 for family of 4, outside four berth cabin and extra insurance policy for 32 included in case of cancellation.

Think you just saved me over a grand compared to what we normally spend on Irish ferries!:D

Advertisement