Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Elmo wrote: »
    In relation to the few channels available there are a number of Irish services that could have launched on Soarview had they been given some support and appeared on other platforms. IMO at least 15 new services. Even for a small country Soarview is bad IMO.

15 new services?!

Are people like myself, who see 'Saorview' on receiving equipment simply as a mark of compliance with the broadcast standard, rather than as a promise of exciting new free entertainment, are we in a minority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dr Phil upscaled w00t! :pac:

My telly has updated albeit the order is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Apogee

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Using an amiko alien 2, went and re scanned but as far as I can see nothings changed, rte1 is still saying rescan required as is rte1+1. Still broadcasting in 544x576 also. Am I missing something really obvious here?

The amiko won't update in the same way as a Saorview box. The new channels will have been scanned into the Terrestrial folder (Up -> Satellites -> Terrestrial etc). From there, you can add them to your current bouquet (assuming you use a bouquet to mix terrestrial and sat channels).

If the new channels don't appear in the terrestrial folder, then you'll have to do a manual tuner scan for the Mux 2 freq for your local transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    15 new services?!

Are people like myself, who see 'Saorview' on receiving equipment simply as a mark of compliance with the broadcast standard, rather than as a promise of exciting new free entertainment, are we in a minority?

I think the mark of compliance is just part of DTT. One of the digital dividend which was talked about was the addition of more TV services and HD services. Okay we have HD services and a better picture but no real additional TV services.

Since DSO/ASO both Sky and UPC have seen increases in numbers taking up their pay digital service (we are in a minority who know you can get FTA sat channels including BBC, ITV, C4 etc, many consider that to be legal and refer to it as Dodgyboxes!?!). And an increase in advertising revenue going to more opt-out services.

We have a duopoly in PayTV broadcasting (UPC and Sky) and a duopoly in FreeTV (RTÉ and TV3) I don't think that is good.

At least 15 free services even if some at this stage failed, I am not expecting hours of amazing programming (I don't see that on 5USA OR 5* or many of the FTA repeat channels available). For a small country we did not develop digital TV at all there is no reason not to have another broadcaster or that TG4 would have other TV services. RTÉ plan in there 5 year plan to launch several genre specific channels over IP along with Soarview Anytime. Why not launch them on all digital platforms, because the are constrained by the Broadcasting Act 2009 (note how RTÉ Plus didn't get off the air, how they need ministerial permission to move RTÉjr off RTÉ TWO and as The Cush point out how they need ministerial permission to have RTÉ 1+1 go out for 24 hours).

From the beginning Soarview should have launched with two Muxes so that all channels could be received in the highest quality picture available but also to introduce new services not just the same old same old. I'd even suggest that Mux 3 should already be available with new services.

What happened the Irish Film Board Channel, Oireachtas TV and Community TV on Soarview? Even if it was just +1 as suggested by TV3 and TG4 and later on the suggestions of Cula4, 3Classics and other services from those broadcasters. Why not launch an Irish Music channel? These are not hugely expensive channels to launch, and your right they probably would not be much use. But they'd be allot better than wasted spectrum on Mux 1 and 2.

1. RTÉ ONE HD - Mux 1
    2. RTÉ TWO HD - Mux 1
    3. TG4 HD - Mux 2
    4. TV3 HD - Mux 3
    5. 3E - Mux 3
    6. RTÉ PLUS - Mux 1
    7. RTÉ ONE +1 - Mux 1
    8. TV3 +1 - Mux 3
    9. TG4 +1 - Mux 2
    10. RTÉ NEWS NOW (PROPER) - Mux 1
    11. Oireachtas TV - Mux 2
    12. Irish Film Board Channel - Mux 2
    13. 3classics -Mux 3
    14. Cula 4 - Mux 2
    15. RTÉjr - Mux 1
    16. 3Kids - Mux 3
    17. Community TV - Mux 2

MUX 1 - 2 HD, 3 SD
    MUX 2 - 1 HD, 6 SD
    MUX 3 - 1 HD, 4 SD

And sure how about some shopping channels and indo radio stations to pay for that extra space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You don't even have to go that far.

RTE currently have enough room on Mux1 for their current output.

RTE 1HD; RTE 2HD; RTE NN; RTE jr; RTE +1. I make that equal to equivalent to 9 SD channels. [8 if RTE +1 and RTE jr share the channel].

MUX 2 would then have TV3 HD; 3E; TG4 HD; OTV. That would be equivalent to 8 SD channels - 9 if OTV goes HD, but I do not think the voters would like to see their politicos in unforgiving HD:D.

Mux 3 then becomes available for new entrants - if and when.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Apogee wrote: »
    The amiko won't update in the same way as a Saorview box. The new channels will have been scanned into the Terrestrial folder (Up -> Satellites -> Terrestrial etc). From there, you can add them to your current bouquet (assuming you use a bouquet to mix terrestrial and sat channels).

If the new channels don't appear in the terrestrial folder, then you'll have to do a manual tuner scan for the Mux 2 freq for your local transmitter.
    Figured it out, didn't realise mux2 was on a separate frequency. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Seems strange to have RTE 1 HD on a separate MUX to RTE 2 HD as this will limit the ability to record one channel while watching another for the majority of boxes that have just one terrestrial tuner.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Up until now I've been receiving saorview from kippure by scanning on 738mhz, do you mean there is a separate frequency for mux2? If so you don't know where I'd find it do you?

UHF Channel 58 (770 MHz) - http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Oct-2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Still no mux2 (CH25) from Castlebar transmitter. Bit of a disaster considering all the adverts telling people to preform a rescan.

mike65 wrote: »
    My telly has updated albeit the order is all over the place.

What TV is it?
    Is it installed with Ireland as the country/region?
    Maybe do a factory reset.

• Advertisement

12 element wrote: »
    Bit of a disaster considering all the adverts telling people to preform a rescan.

After 3pm
    Saorview viewers in certain areas will need to rescan their TVs or Set-Top-Boxes on Monday, October 21st to avoid losing service.

If you receive Saorview from one of the following local transmitters you must carry out this rescan of your equipment on Monday, October 21st after 3pm to continue to view SAORVIEW in these areas.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-2.html

So why not upscale TG4 and TV3 to avoid another rescan down the road?

A question best answered by TV3 and TG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Will the simulcasted RTE1 SD currently remain at position 1 on your TV/STB on Mux 1 until you do a retune, before they take it off altogether?

Will the simulcasted RTE1 SD currently remain at position 1 on your TV/STB on Mux 1 until you do a retune, before they take it off altogether?

For most receivers it probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the HD version goes into position 1 and SD moves to position 11 after rescan.

RTE ONE SD will then stop airing after 3? If you don't retune RTÉ ONE and +1/Jr are gone.

RTE ONE SD will then stop airing after 3? If you don't retune RTÉ ONE and +1/Jr are gone.

The simulcast channels on Mux1 will continue for 2 weeks or up to 3 weeks according to Brian Geraghty on Morning Ireland this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Thanks guys. Reason I ask is that there is a Sony W4000 in the parents house. I think I have the auto update feature in the Digital tuning section currently switched off on it. I'll be there next weekend so I can do a retune then.

The Cush wrote: »
    * RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Not timesharing on Mux2, static on-air caption on RTÉ1 +1 "This channel is currently off air"

RTÉ1 +1 has now gone to an MHEG-5 off-air caption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I carried out the rescan at 8:30 am this morning. I got the mux2 channels on the Triax TSC 114 box.

But I only got four TV channels with none from the radio on the Laurus LR-785XB Box from Tesco (I haven't a clue what to do with that one because this receiver I have at home might be faulty).

This is the one I'm talking about here:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/3195/168895.jpg

I was unlucky in looking up the Laurus website for attempting to find a firmware download as I might have to email someone to get the updates which is a stupid decision really.

http://www.laurusdigital.ie/

info@laurusdigital.ie

Do I need to another rescan of Mux2 on the two boxes or is that all that is required for the moment. My nearest transmitter is Three Rock. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

It's strange to see RTEjr is using more bandwidth than RTE1 HD on Mux 2
    RTEjr using 21% of Mux capaticy, RTE1HD using 17%

EIT info now for RTE1, RTEjr and RTE1+1 on Mux 2

No EIT for RTE1, RTEjr and RTE1+1 on Mux 1, so I guess these channels are hidden on Saorview approved certified and Ireland setting TV and STB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

But I only got four TV channels with none from the radio on the Laurus LR-785XB Box from Tesco (I haven't a clue what to do with that one because this receiver I have at home might be faulty).

I was unlucky in looking up the Laurus website for attempting to find a firmware download as I might have to email someone to get the updates which is a stupid decision really.

http://www.laurusdigital.ie/

info@laurusdigital.ie

Do I need to another rescan of Mux2 on the two boxes or is that all that is required for the moment. My nearest transmitter is Three Rock. Thanks.

Best to scan again after 3pm. It is unlikely any box will fail to work at all with Mux 2. If it fails to pick up try a manual scan. Try a factory reset too.The signal might just be a little weaker and so an automatic scan might not pick it up.

By the way the laurus digital box looks like it is made by vestel. If you are having major problems, that laurus cannot solve, it may be possible to find which exact vestel model you have, and use firmware from another brand name designed for this exact hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

After 3pm

There is a fault with the transmitter. Engineer on the way apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I thought RTE 2 HD was supposed to be moved to MUX 2 or has this idea been scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What TV is it?
    Is it installed with Ireland as the country/region?
    Maybe do a factory reset.

Samsung and the Ireland option is selected. The radio channels come before the TV at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Tesco Freeview HD STB had automatically updated the new channels, it have stripped away RTE1 and RTEjr / RTE1+1 from Mux 1 on my STB and place the replacement from Mux2 in the same location.
    Also, RTE1 HD is transmitting in MEPG-4-SD, according to the STB.
    No wonder RTEjr is using more bandwidth as RTE1 HD is not transmitting HD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

zg3409 wrote: »
    Best to scan again after 3pm. It is unlikely any box will fail to work at all with Mux 2. If it fails to pick up try a manual scan. Try a factory reset too.The signal might just be a little weaker and so an automatic scan might not pick it up.

By the way the laurus digital box looks like it is made by vestel. If you are having major problems, that laurus cannot solve, it may be possible to find which exact vestel model you have, and use firmware from another brand name designed for this exact hardware.

Alright. I did look up the vestel website to get a look at the STB's & I found nothing in terms of no images or information of them uploaded on their site.

http://www.vestel.com/hd-dvb-t-t2

I am using a Apple EMAC from April 2006 with CS3 software which I think is a pain when trying to navigate around the site. Vestel could be sold out of the equipment altogether or it could be a fault in the website. Who knows!

It looks like to I have to email Vestel to see if I can get anywhere with them if all else fails. Although; I did send an email to the team at Laurus to see if I can get a response from them soon.

I badly need to get these updates because not of the apparent problems of the Laurus receiver with Mux2. I also cannot get proper access to the menu's, Digital Aertel text and other features like zooming the TV in/out, recording & AD language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

I badly need to get these updates because not of the apparent problems of the receiver with Mux2. I also cannot get proper access to the menu's, Digital Aertel text and other features like zooming the TV in/out, recording & AD language.

You should wait until after 3pm and then re-try with a factory reset and manual scan. The box may be OK. Then your first port of call should be Laurus. If they are not replying to your emails then try ring them on 1890 989 975. They might be busy today with others contacting them.

If you are really stuck and never get a response, have a look at the model number on the bottom. It is vitally important any software you install is designed for that model. Otherwise it may never work again. If the model number is the same as some Walker models, then a Walker firmware may work:
    http://www.walker.ie/products/products.html
    http://www.walker.ie/pages/downloadManuals2.php

If your receiver is Saorview only it may be similar to WP645TS-HD or WP12DTB-R

Souriau wrote: »
    No EIT for RTE1, RTEjr and RTE1+1 on Mux 1, so I guess these channels are hidden on Saorview approved certified and Ireland setting TV and STB.

No, they are not hidden like LCNs 12-15. They are the SD simulcast versions of the channels you mention on LCNs 11, 17 and 18, they should be around for the next 2 to 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Alright. I did look up the vestel website to get a look at the STB's & I found nothing in terms of no images or information of them uploaded on their site.

http://www.vestel.com/hd-dvb-t-t2

I am using a Apple EMAC from April 2006 with CS3 software which I think is a pain when trying to navigate around the site. Vestel could be sold out of the equipment altogether or it could be a fault in the website. Who knows!

It looks like to I have to email Vestel to see if I can get anywhere with them if all else fails. Although; I did send an email to the team at Laurus to see if I can get a response from them soon.

I badly need to get these updates because not of the apparent problems of the Laurus receiver with Mux2. I also cannot get proper access to the menu's, Digital Aertel text and other features like zooming the TV in/out, recording & AD language.

Whic one ? http://www.saorview.ie/product/laurus/

Are these issues all of a sudden ?

Dont even dream of loading Walker firmware onto it. I am not sure that there isnt bootloader protection on these various rebrands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Souriau wrote: »
    It's strange to see RTEjr is using more bandwidth than RTE1 HD on Mux 2
    RTEjr using 21% of Mux capaticy, RTE1HD using 17%

EIT info now for RTE1, RTEjr and RTE1+1 on Mux 2

Interesting info re RTÉ One HD. I don't know how you find this info, so could you keep us updated on the bandwith used by RTÉ One HD vs RTÉjr as things move on.

Advertisement