Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to get started?

• 02-10-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I have two ideas for stories/books. One I've thought of in terms of the novella (also something not as daunting). It's a tough one because the whole point of the book is not really knowing what happened. The second is more of a historical novel set in a very specific place and time.

But I have no idea how to start, or how to get writing. It's been some time since I actually wrote creatively (that wasn't for media organs or some kind of policy/technical writing in my day job).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just sit down and start typing/writing tbh
    Maybe make out a rough plan of what needs to be covered and where in the book, but mostly just write
    You can worry about editing and formatting after

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lila1

Hi I wonder could someone help. I have just writen a small childrens story book. At the moment it is just in the form of 6 a4 pages. What is my next step

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

sarkozy wrote: »
    I have two ideas for stories/books. One I've thought of in terms of the novella (also something not as daunting). It's a tough one because the whole point of the book is not really knowing what happened. The second is more of a historical novel set in a very specific place and time.

But I have no idea how to start, or how to get writing. It's been some time since I actually wrote creatively (that wasn't for media organs or some kind of policy/technical writing in my day job).

Do a synopsis or outline. Write out the plot of both of them, and if you like, send it to me to be ripped apart. By the time I'm finished with it, you'll have a solid plot. Then sit down and write the damn thing. Remember that all first drafts are crap. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be words on the page, so you can go back and edit them into shape.

lila1 wrote: »
    Hi I wonder could someone help. I have just writen a small childrens story book. At the moment it is just in the form of 6 a4 pages. What is my next step

What age group is it aimed at? Which book on sale now is your book most like?

It it edited?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lila1

Hi no there is nothing atal done to it I have showed it to a few people who have said it was very good and that I should do something with it. It is aimed at children about 4 to 10. I really do not know what other book mine is most like. My book is written through the eyes of a child.

• Advertisement

Try going back and asking them what they don't like it. In detail.

Of course if you show a book to someone, especially if they are not involved in publishing in some way, they will tell you it's good and that they like it. Even if they don't like it, they probably don't know what is wrong with it, and so won't say anything.

However, I can tell you right away that a book aimed at four to ten years is doomed for failure, simply because you have no idea who it's aimed at. Four year olds want books like "No matter what" while ten year olds are reading Harry Potter.

Nearly all children's books are written through the eyes of a child.

Go into Easons and spend a couple of hours there looking at what is published. Then decide who your major competitor is, and what she is doing that you are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

How long should the plot be, EileenG?

Totally depends on who the book is aimed at, since a four year old will need a completely different book from a confident ten year old.

Seriously, go into Easons and spend a couple of hours looking at the books that are out there. See where your book fits in the market. Then think about editing it so it's aimed at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wits_end

i would set yourself a target, so x number of words per day....stick to that...even if you do 500 words a day for a month that's 15,000 words...which is alot!

Advertisement