Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I think we've got to be careful here. Nobody wants the game to fail and nobody has an issue with the crowd-funding model. The two are not unrelated: if it is a disaster then the biggest losers are $27 million worth of ordinary fans

What we are seeing though is the darker side of the crowd-funding model. I think that there are real issues with providing pre-bonuses that require hundreds or thousands of dollars to obtain. And not just from a pay-to-win perspective. On a higher level, what's the point at which publisher funding is welcome if it spares the fanbase from being fleeced in such a way?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

danthefan wrote: »
    Why do you care really what anyone else sells or buys with their own money?(obviously this being all perfectly within the law and all that)

I can think of plenty of things that are "disgusting", this is not one of them.

Like KilOit said, it's like a cult. They're taking advantage of people making terrible life decisions by convincing them to conceptualise virtual property in a game (that doesn't exist yet) as though it had tangible value. It's unhealthy, it's demented, it's like selling heroin to junkies. It's convincing poor people to take short term loans at high interest. It's selling dodgy life assurance to old people. It's having sex with someone that loves you when you don't share those feelings.

They're taking advantage and it's gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zillah wrote: »
    Like KilOit said, it's like a cult. They're taking advantage of people making terrible life decisions by convincing them to conceptualise virtual property in a game (that doesn't exist yet) as though it had tangible value. It's unhealthy, it's demented, it's like selling heroin to junkies. It's convincing poor people to take short term loans at high interest. It's selling dodgy life assurance to old people. It's having sex with someone that loves you when you don't share those feelings.

They're taking advantage and it's gross.

So its Capitalism then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ill be amazed if what they deliver ever lives up to the thought that most people want this game to be.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ill be amazed if what they deliver ever lives up to the thought that most people want this game to be.

Yes, if it turns into another x-rebirth, internets may explode.

Speaking of which, Steam refuses to give me a refund. Game just wont frakkin work.

• Advertisement

Speaking of which, Steam refuses to give me a refund. Game just wont frakkin work.

I still haven't gotten a reply to my refund request...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was very excited for this when it was announced, but I'm getting more and more worried about it. With all the ship selling going on I'm starting to wonder if I'll be logging into servers and finding myself at a huge disadvantage to everyone else.

The appeal to me of a game like this is to start off with nothing and build up. But if you start in a crappy tin can and everyone else has giant top-of-the-line battle-cruisers it'll make it impossible to get anywhere and it'll just be a hugely frustrating experience.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I was very excited for this when it was announced, but I'm getting more and more worried about it. With all the ship selling going on I'm starting to wonder if I'll be logging into servers and finding myself at a huge disadvantage to everyone else.

The appeal to me of a game like this is to start off with nothing and build up. But if you start in a crappy tin can and everyone else has giant top-of-the-line battle-cruisers it'll make it impossible to get anywhere and it'll just be a hugely frustrating experience.

The vast majority of people will not have invested anything resembling enough to warrant any of these fancy cruisers. Secondly, most earning potential will likely be PvE or trading etc, I doubt PvP will be a money maker. My guess is that within 6 months the guys who spent $5k will be feeling silly because everyone else has caught up, and will try to emphasise whatever unique "vanity" status their backer-boondoggles will have.

That is of course assuming their terminate this pay-to-win aspect as soon as the funding phase is over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah, hopefully it'll work out like that. It'd be a shame if pay-to-win ruins it.

a friend of my has spent 365 euro on this. I normally like to see a review first. 365 is just crazy.

• Advertisement

Mad.

Is it perma death in PVP or is it just respawn some place far away?

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would think piloting one of the bigger ships would be exciting, reality is you ll be going ever so slowly hoping the AI knows how to operate turrets.

I can also guarantee that people will bitch about low level ships beating up on their 300 quid ship and demanding balancing changes. If EVE has thought us anything it's that someone will find a min/max cheap ship and bring a LOT of them to face someone who has no chance.

Thinks its perma death, that is why you take out ship insurance with your purchase.

I am a big fan of the larger ships, get a crew, man the turrets, etc

I want my own BSG someday ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hope it's perma death for ships, but i'd be surprised if it is. It's usually too 'hardcore' for most games, and the amount of bitching that will go on after people lose their shiny paid for cruiser, while hilarious, will be massive.

Kiith wrote: »
    I hope it's perma death for ships, but i'd be surprised if it is. It's usually too 'hardcore' for most games, and the amount of bitching that will go on after people lose their shiny paid for cruiser, while hilarious, will be massive.

If you die, you will loose your ship.
    If you have insurance (paid with earned creds) you will get your ships back

Ah, you shouldn't get the ship back, even if it's insured. The Eve Online way is best. You get blown up, you lose your ship. If it's insured, you still lose your ship, but you get the market value of the ship back.

That's a pretty poor method imo and really deflates the game as a whole =/

Ah, you shouldn't get the ship back, even if it's insured. The Eve Online way is best. You get blown up, you lose your ship. If it's insured, you still lose your ship, but you get the market value of the ship back.

I'd suggest you reconsider whether you actually think this is a great way to do it or if it is just the way you're used to. Eve is a notoriously cruel game, and I found one of its major flaws was that it often took a very long time to actually find some real gameplay, i.e.; a fight you'd be willing to engage in. A more forgiving environment makes gameplay much more accessible.

I'd rather be able to get into a fight than camp a gate for an hour and then have to run away when a slightly more powerful gang came through.

Yeah, i'd definitely still prefer it. I remember being disappointed with Star Trek Online when your ships just automatically respawned. I just think that there should be some proper punishment for getting into a fight with something you're not willing to lose. It adds a real sense of danger to games, which is often lacking.

I do understand why it's used often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Meh, I spent ~$40 on the game, it gets me a ship and a copy.

If the game doesn't work out then I haven't spent any more than I'd normally spend on a game....
    I think it's crazy the amount people are spending on it already, especially if there's perma-death.

If you die and have no insurance, you should respawn with a starter pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yeah, i'd definitely still prefer it. I remember being disappointed with Star Trek Online when your ships just automatically respawned. I just think that there should be some proper punishment for getting into a fight with something you're not willing to lose. It adds a real sense of danger to games, which is often lacking.

I do understand why it's used often though.

There's been enough money pumped into the game to also have a death-match style mode with infinite respawns, purely to enjoy the dogfighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

BizzyC wrote: »
    Meh, I spent ~$40 on the game, it gets me a ship and a copy.

If the game doesn't work out then I haven't spent any more than I'd normally spend on a game....
    I think it's crazy the amount people are spending on it already, especially if there's perma-death.

If you die and have no insurance, you should respawn with a starter pack.

You need to read this - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I hope this fails.
    They already got so much money and they are actually offering such high prices for in game content.
    If it were only for cosmetic purposes then it'd be understandable.
    But they even decided to top it off with life time insurance.
    It seems to completely defeat the purpose of playing the game.

It's ridiculous how easily people give their money away for random hopes and dreams that are posted on a website.

Guess I'll just be borrowing a copy off the internet in 2 years time to see if the single player is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

[Rasta] wrote: »
    :words:
    How important is lifetime insurance?

Once again, we would like to be absolutely clear that LTI is a convenience but not a game-altering addition. All ships come with insurance and the coverage between LTI and Standard Hull Insurance (SHI) is exactly the same. The only difference is that you have to renew SHI with in game credits once the policy has reached its end (which varies right now between 3 months and a year on the current packages available for sale). With LTI there is no end date on the policy. The cost and frequency of renewing a SHI policy will be on a similar magnitude to renewing car insurance and assuming you complete some missions or trade runs in Star Citizen you should have plenty of in game funds available to cover this cost. In fact, newer players who purchased packages directly instead of going through a grey market service to get LTI are better off, as they have been receiving the various stretch goal rewards given to backers.

Source - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13377-Anniversary-Sale-Details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

R0ot wrote: »

That sounds ok to me...

I think that there should be a bit more weight on losing a character though.
    Maybe small things tied in to your fame/noteriety, such as getting better merchant deals if you're a trader or approached with high profile jobs if you're a famous pirate....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Yeah, I'd just like to point out that really we are buying pledges and getting the ship for free.

I you want to just buy a ship, then wait.

I haven't really paid much attention to the RSI.com forums for the past year and I tend not to reply either. I know I know I should put my feetback and talk more. However I pledged a large sum of money, a gamble if you will. It is a vice, but I'll live with it :).

a bigger risk a better reward heh.

AAA we are talking 100s of millions before even releasing it. SC has 29.5mil last checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I really can't see how people are into a game so much as to invest these kind if figures, when it's not even fully made yet. It's kinda gotten me scared of the game now... I feel like there's something about it I'm not understanding here.

I just wanna wait until the game is ready for full release, buy it and play it (and never pay another cent for in-game content). Will I be at some massive disadvantage by doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Simply put: gambling. It's not about always about the money, it's about the rush. The fact that he made the wing commanger and freelancer series, means people already have a "cult" following Chris Roberts. CitizenCon took play last month (it wasn't even a Convention).

It is not just a SP and MP. MP (ok CR doesn't like to call it mmo) but a presistant game, meaning an ongoing offical server running no-stop (excluding patches) in the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Really tempted to get involved in this sooner rather than later, simply because of who is behind it and it's success so far. Really need to curb my spending on pre-releases though. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Found this post over on the RSI forums. Basically a fan has put together a huge PDF guide to everything Star Citizen. Nice acronym for it too. :pac:

• Advertisement

Found this post over on the RSI forums. Basically a fan has put together a huge PDF guide to everything Star Citizen. Nice acronym for it too. :pac:

Saw this, great idea, but you know well that 3/4 will be subject to change, but fair play to him.

Advertisement