Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In the poll 43% voting that they don't like new EPG?

What's not to like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Woodie40 wrote: »
    To anyone with the applicable HD box

Amstrad Boxes first of all - DRX 890 and 895 if memory serves...:D Well people are free to post their reasons in regards to the poll but some don't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

How do you find out what kind of box you have. Can you check somewhere in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

murpho999 wrote: »
    In the poll 43% voting that they don't like new EPG?

What's not to like about it?

Losing the card trick over-rides pretty graphics for me. We'll see how the favourite channels thing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Woodie40

pbarr wrote: »
    How do you find out what kind of box you have. Can you check somewhere in the menu.

On the EPG go to Settings-System Details- Version Number.

My box is a 4F3106. Which is an Amstrad DRX890. I still have the old EPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

greendom wrote: »
    Losing the card trick over-rides pretty graphics for me. We'll see how the favourite channels thing works.

Absolutely, the Card Trick gave us what we always wanted, if Sky knobbled this on purpose (which I doubt) then they'll potentially loose customers over it.

greendom wrote: »

Well i have the favourites working with all the uk channels i want - they are NOT on the epg though when you put your irish card back in...I cant record though and this is due to my box been in single feed mode

The new adaptation of the card trick is still only new - give it time folks

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Well i have the favourites working with all the uk channels i want - they are NOT on the epg though when you put your irish card back in...I cant record though and this is due to my box been in single feed mode

The new adaptation of the card trick is still only new - give it time folks

I unplugged my box, inserted the UK card and when it turned on I went straight to favourites and turned it off via the remote.

I then inserted the subscription card and I have all the extra channels in my epg (I have two feeds if that helps).

Plascebo wrote: »
    I unplugged my box, inserted the UK card and when it turned on I went straight to favourites and turned it off via the remote.

I then inserted the subscription card and I have all the extra channels in my epg (I have two feeds if that helps).

Ill give it a shot :) (two feed issue only effects the recording)

It didnt work - you went to favorites in the options tab or you selected a favorite channel to watch and then turned off via remote?

Im going to try and select favorites in the epg and then soft turn off and turn back on - do i leave it on the 998 channel for a few minutes after soft reboot?

Right that did not work either
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Can you Series link something to record on the english channels from the favourites menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Can you Series link something to record on the english channels from the favourites menu?
    Yes. When you press record it asks if you want to 'record series' and it has worked for me

Yes. When you press record it asks if you want to 'record series' and it has worked for me

Are they showing up in the favourites menu with the same channel numbers? e.g. 178 ITV1 HD, also what happens when you type in 178 on the remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Good man thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Amstrad Boxes first of all - DRX 890 and 895 if memory serves...:D Well people are free to post their reasons in regards to the poll but some don't :P

You seem to be a man in the know ! Will us Samsung box owners have to wait until much later in the year for the new EPG, or do you think we might get it sooner ?

Are they showing up in the favourites menu with the same channel numbers? e.g. 178 ITV1 HD, also what happens when you type in 178 on the remote?

Answer 1 - yes, still showing in favourites with channel numbers as before
    Answer 2 - when you enter 178 on remote you get 'channel not available'. But, I've just watched the highlights of Czech Republic v Portugal on ITV1 HD by pressing the blue button. It goes through the favourites until you get to, for example, 178 for ITV1 HD.

My observations so far:
    - the channels are not listed in the epg. But they're not intended for ROI customers - so no big surprise there
    - otherwise I'm happy with it. All the channels are accessible & recordable. That's great
    - I note that the red button doesn't work on BBC News (obviously this isn't an issue as it works on the BBC channels on the Irish epg)
    - subtitles work on the UK channels
    Happy days :)

Answer 2 - when you enter 178 on remote you get 'channel not available'. But, I've just watched the highlights of Czech Republic v Portugal on ITV1 HD by pressing the blue button. It goes through the favourites until you get to, for example, 178 for ITV1 HD.

My observations so far:
    - the channels are not listed in the epg. But they're not intended for ROI customers - so no big surprise there
    - otherwise I'm happy with it. All the channels are accessible & recordable. That's great
    - I note that the red button doesn't work on BBC News (obviously this isn't an issue as it works on the BBC channels on the Irish epg)

Happy with that, I am no longer dreading the update now as this is a lot better than nothing. Thanks a million for the replies.

Happy with that, I am no longer dreading the update now as this is a lot better than nothing. Thanks a million for the replies.

Agreed - I was dreading the update too

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Our standard HD box, the Amstrad Drx890 got upgraded sometime Wednesday morning. However, our 1tb Amstrad Drx895 has not gotten the update yet... hope its not much longer; I like the new layout, although like many others, I think its ridiculous how little innovation Sky has shown in terms of major new features over the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

my box is 4f31d4 drx890 z should I have the new epg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Craigels wrote: »
    my box is 4f31d4 drx890 z should I have the new epg
    It will arrive in due course. Not all compatible boxes get the update straight away. The only ones not getting the update are Thomson ones.
    Amstrad DRX 890 and 895 are first in line, and should be complete within the next few weeks, then Samsung and DRX 780's finishing by year end.
    Version numbers 4F31*** are 895's if memory serves, and are first in line - mine hasn't updated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

It will arrive in due course. Not all compatible boxes get the update straight away. The only ones not getting the update are Thomson ones.
    Amstrad DRX 890 and 895 are first in line, and should be complete within the next few weeks, then Samsung and DRX 780's finishing by year end.
    Version numbers 4F31*** are 895's if memory serves, and are first in line - mine hasn't updated yet.

Pat, are you saying all Thompson boxes will stay on the current HD EPG?

I have a thomson, E43007 i think is roughly the serial number.. thanks

galtee boy wrote: »
    You seem to be a man in the know ! Will us Samsung box owners have to wait until much later in the year for the new EPG, or do you think we might get it sooner ?

There could be a beta for the Samsung boxes before a release is done for them....Sky have mentioned that possibility so its still unclear :) The Pace and Samsung boxes have to undergo the same process that the amstrad boxes have gone through from the looks of it but this has yet to be fully confirmed.

As for the Thompson boxes there was mention of getting a possible upgrade but originally they we going to be left out....still all this has to be confirmed

My observations so far:

Another observation:
    'Anytime' hasn't re-populated yet. It usuallly only takes a day or so but two days later it's still empty. This doesn't bother me as I never use this facility, but it may concern others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

My observations so far:

Another observation:
    'Anytime' hasn't re-populated yet. It usuallly only takes a day or so but two days later it's still empty. This doesn't bother me as I never use this facility, but it may concern others.
    I've notice that with the anytime too. It says it will be back the 26th. I'm still on the old epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Widescreen wrote: »
    Pat, are you saying all Thompson boxes will stay on the current HD EPG?

I have a thomson, E43007 i think is roughly the serial number.. thanks

That's correct:
    http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/tv-guide/faqs/index.html?DCMP=Sky-search-sslc

Click on 'When will I get the new Sky guide ?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Thanks!

I suppose by doing this sky are saying they reckon the thomson boxes are useless!

I just use one with a ftv card and it works perfectly so its not a problem really but i was just curious.

Another observation:

ALSO:
    No need to save the BBC radio stations as favourites to access them. Press 'services', go to 'radio' and all the radio channels are listed here.

ALSO:
    No need to save the BBC radio stations as favourites to access them. Press 'services', go to 'radio' and all the radio channels are listed here.

To record from one of the UK channels from the next 7 days, press 'tv guide', press the blue button and type the name of the programme you want to record. All the 'other' channels' listings can be accessed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

To record from one of the UK channels from the next 7 days, press 'tv guide', press the blue button and type the name of the programme you want to record. Al the 'other' channels' listings can be accessed here.

Can this work on the Irish Card?

Advertisement